Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by InTheGarden, Oct 2, 2012.

1. IDK TBH.

I got the 2'-2bulb fixture from HTG in 2010. The bulbs are 55w each and are basically a 4' bulb bent in a U shape. Spent some time finding better bulbs, the ones from HTG are shit. EIKO brand 6500k from 1000 bulbs worked great. I also use Eiko in my reading lamp, another T-5 HO.

My research pretty much ended once I hit on this combo. Just remember 55w/tube and not the 23w.

Haven't been on the HTG site in several years, but these were a good value @~$70/fixture. No idea what they are now.

Wet

2. To be honest I have no idea. I thought it was the rock dust so I added it with the measurement of four cups per every cubic foot. The bag was then discarded in the garbage and surprisingly picked up on time this week. I can search the Internet and find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum
    To be honest I have no idea. I thought it was the rock dust so I added it with the measurement of four cups per every cubic foot. The bag was then discarded in the garbage and surprisingly picked up on time this week. I can search the Internet and find out.

To be honest I have no idea. I thought it was the rock dust so I added it with the measurement of four cups per every cubic foot. The bag was then discarded in the garbage and surprisingly picked up on time this week. I can search the Internet and find out.

3. Maybe my problem is the 23w ones that I have. I think my lamp only outputs that high with these fixtures. Got em from sunleaves or someshit. Bought em from a shop locally.

4. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1427393235.504308.jpg
    Sorry for the multiple post idk what is going on with my phone. This was the directions I found. Looks like the bag is almost 8 pounds I added the whole bag.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1427393235.504308.jpg
    Sorry for the multiple post idk what is going on with my phone. This was the directions I found. Looks like the bag is almost 8 pounds I added the whole bag.

5. One whole bag for the entire mix? Or, 1 whole bag/cf? Did you use multiple bags?

Wet

6. View attachment 1731086
    Sorry for the multiple post idk what is going on with my phone. This was the directions I found. Looks like the bag is almost 8 pounds I added the whole bag. To the whole unit of soil I mixed which was almost 50 gallons.

View attachment 1731086
    Sorry for the multiple post idk what is going on with my phone. This was the directions I found. Looks like the bag is almost 8 pounds I added the whole bag. To the whole unit of soil I mixed which was almost 50 gallons.

I use moringa in my compost, eventually it makes it's way to the plants. 

8. ?

9. ?? HTG??

High tech gardening?

MAN!!

Scared me that I han attack of 'Old Timers'. Thankfully there is still a decal on the lights. High Tech Gardening Supply. Wheew!

Wet

10. I'm confused.
    I tried to post a link to what I think you were talking about from HTG, but it only sent the question mark...

http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-HTG-Supply-2-Foot-2-Lamp-PL-55-Tek-Lamp

11. That's it! Amazing, it's still the same price.

Thought it was a good value then, still do.

Thanks for the link Steve!

Wet

12. Wish they shipped to Canada, but they still don't! You Yankes have all the fun!

13. I have the "sun blaze" models which can be daisy chained. They are the 2' ones. I have 4 together and each put out 24w per bulb. Usually only one plant under them. Feels like they kinda grow slow? Maybe I need a booster? Maybe these lights aren't good enough?

14. There is a world of difference between the 24w bulbs and the 55w.

BUT, you just can't switch bulbs, the ballast must match the bulb.

Wet

15. #10275 dizzyDnutz, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
    Yes Im Def. Aware of that, Wet. Thanks for your input as always. 👍 Looks like I'll be saving to get some better veg setups real soon

16. Speaking of setup.. I'll be setting up a new cu.ft. batch of soil..
    1/3 peat
    1/3 homemade Ewc
    1/3 pumice stone +
    *Added more perlite to this mix and cocoa bean mulch for added aeration because my last mix seemed heavy at just 1/3 aeration.

Amendments:
    Neem cake
    Crustacean meal
    Espoma bio-tone plus
    Kelp meal

Rock dust:
    B.A.S. brix blend basalt

I dumped the Azomite for the basalt. Now my main q is how much do you think I should add of this basalt to my 1cu.ft. I've heard up to 4cups I could add on other links and areas around here. I guess I'll add about 2-3 cups and see how heavy my outcome is

17. Very helpful thread ) Nice job, ty ) 

18. My fresh ewc..been waiting far too long to do this.. now to start my mix :) it don't matter if there's a few worms in there right? What I get from a few worms would be better for breaking down things in my soil? Am I right?

Attached Files:

19. Does this sound good for amendments per cu. Ft.?

1.5 cups Espoma bio-tone starter plus
    2 cups neem cake
    1 cup kelp meal
    1.5 cups crustacean meal

This blend mixed together then 3 cups of it added to my cu.ft.

I will also add 4 cups basalt after and mix accordingly

20. Do twice as much kelp and your good