Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by InTheGarden, Oct 2, 2012.

1. ive been working on trying to soak em nice and good each watering... the plants in the big pots are over AND under watered at the same time though.... or at least it seems like it... they pick back up when i water them but the leaves just keep curling worse with every watering... iv been givin them like 1 or 2 bottles every 1 or two days but that seems fuck up.... im thinking i shiuld just soak em and leave em no?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. and your 100% sure of that? lol it seems pretty stupid to me if they were both under and over watered but its my low humidity causing some bs for me its at a constant 16% so my pots dry out fast.... my plants were just doing the weird droopy thing wicked bad after i watered them but they seem ok now i think... idk i guess time will tell, just gave them a fat watering and they seemed to love it..... cannabis is such a set and forget plant i got to stop worrying so much honestly i feel like thats my #1 problem lol

3. I found this was very successful in giving water or nutrients directly to the roots and no run off or to prevent creating a favorable environment for insect infestation..

Attached Files:

4. yeah the temps are at 75-80 usually.. humidity is constant 16% during day and 20% at night time so thats probly causing them to act up so weird

5. [quote name="Sativa Diva 1" post="21374030" timestamp="1425234732"]I found this was very successful in giving water or nutrients directly to the roots and no run off or to prevent creating a favorable environment for insect infestation..[/quote

hey thanks! iv actually seen that design before, but i would need to contruct it out of glass tho because im trying to avoid plastic.... even tho they are in a plastic pot right now that was a bad idea on my part... im going to try that in my garden next year on tomato plants and see how i works for myself... thanks for reminding me!lol

so how small do the holes need to be?

This seems highly unlikely to me.  I've never heard of ANYONE overwatering their plants with SIP's.  The help that they lend to low humidity environments is one of the reasons that I use them.

Can you describe exactly what you where doing, 'cause you had to have been doing something wrong...

7. #10027 JackofTrades, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2015
    Here is a link to my soil recipe.It is not yet finished so there is some information missing, but it will give you a better understanding of what I am working with. 

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=48BFB621B1F81231!198&ithint=file%2cxlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!APWK8yukpLVlHNw

I already have two bricks of coco as it stands, it would have to be a pretty good reason to buy somthing more. 

The microbes would already have plenty of carbon sources and I don't think I would want them breaking down the BASE of my soil. 

There are plenty of nutrient sources in the mixture to appease both bacteria & Fungi. 

I like the fact that the coco is not as acidic as sphagnum therefor I can add Sulphur to increase the pungency of the the resins. I also don't want to have to deal with the buffering of sphagnum with the Dolomite Lime crap( I know there are other buffers but this tends to be the norm).  

I know that coco has a much better wicking capability than sphagnum which would allow for a more evenly moist environment. This shouldn't be to much of a concern as I just ordered some Blumats. But if anything were to happen where the Blumats failed the peat moss is less forgiving and becomes hydrophobic. 

While it may have a lower CEC value than Sphagnum there are other additives in the soil to compensate for this. 

I do understand that Sphagnum can and is host to a ton of microbial life but I kind of want to see what can be done with coco.

8. #10028 waktoo, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015

Maybe you should ask sbgrowery how he's liking the coco in his mix...  :confused_2:

It's your soil mix man.  I'm just trying to save you some heartache down the road.  Do what you want.

9. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of all of this as it is all still quite new to me, so its not a matter of doing what I want. I can only apply the information that I have researched and received from others. I'm not trying to counter your points to be a dick, I'm trying to look at all the possible variables. I just don't want to take a small portion of information with limited perspective and fail you know? Gotta have all bases covered, I certainly dont want to waste all these materials as it was expensive to source. I apologize if I'm coming off the wrong way but I like to have informative discussions that may help others down the road. The information you have provided is appreciated, Thank You. 

10. i totally feel you man.... we just want to have more of a logical thinking discussion with you guys, we arnt trying to say that we know anything, cuz obviously we dont... idk bout you jackoftrades, but i have certainly gotten info that was incorrect before on this website.... we just want the best for our grows people of gc!! im just assuming that its been a while since you guys were in newbie shoes! lol we mean no harm...

but i agree man, if they say dont use coco then dont do it! just do your research as well... ill make sure to report back about my coco and tell you guys how it does... so far so good tho

i totally feel you man.... we just want to have more of a logical thinking discussion with you guys, we arnt trying to say that we know anything, cuz obviously we dont... idk bout you jackoftrades, but i have certainly gotten info that was incorrect before on this website.... we just want the best for our grows people of gc!! im just assuming that its been a while since you guys were in newbie shoes! lol we mean no harm...

but i agree man, if they say dont use coco then dont do it! just do your research as well... ill make sure to report back about my coco and tell you guys how it does... so far so good tho

11. #10031 sbgrowery, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2015
    neither have i thats why im so confused.... my plants always

edit: sorry my phone keeps fuckin up... but yeah i put my plants on a tray filled with perlite then filled it halfway with water and they started curling from over water... the bottom of the pot was soaked and the top was bone dry... im totally not feelin the sip tray... im willing to experiment for sure though ....

12. I spaced the holes like 1-11/2 inch apart.. but there's no firm rule on that..Each season I change the bottles..lots of plastics in the recycling bin from the neighbors ..

13. so you just stick it in the soil, fill her up and shes good to go?

14. #10034 sbgrowery, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2015
    do you put the cap on it?

edit: and how big are the actual hole too? please and thank you

15. After awhile you get to know who are the respected experts here. Just take a quick look at a profile. If it's someone like waktoo who's been here years with thousands of posts take what they say seriously. They're here to help

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1357118-Scotty%27s-first-grow

16. yeah i totally feel you, i just meant that its hard for a new grower not to take everything with a grain of salt... just trying to really dig deep and understand it all... i definitely get you though.. EVERY bit of info helps no matter who its from anyway

17. If I remember the reason SPM ( sphagnum peat moss ) is recommended over coco is the higher CEC.. (Cation Exchange Capacity) of SPM.. But due to my extreme level of medication this morning don't quote me on that.. Let me Google that for you..

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=peat+vs+coco+CEC

18. i also didnt understand how you could top dress or use teas with a sip system...

19. i also didnt understand how you could top dress or use teas with a sip system...