Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by InTheGarden, Oct 2, 2012.

1. And these yummys are grown in my compost. Pure compost with all my amendments and minerals top dressed. Lol. The compost holds water so well I love it lol

Attached Files:

2. Gorgeous. What are they?

3. Sequoia strawberries I got from the local Home Depot lol Thank you!!!

4. A type of strawbrre strawberry love water and are not edible?

5. #10005 RED BEARD, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2015
    nope looked again they are the edible type for sure...

6. Wow you got those from the depot. That's impressive. I endure physical pain when I see the state of the plants they sell there.

7. Yes they are Red Beard! They are yummy too. This is my first season with them organically. I had them in virgoro 2 years back and when my compost finished enough back in September I threw them in right away. Wanted to make sure we get some good ones this year!

8. To me, they actually look fine. All the burned crap is old growth, which will end up getting chopped off anyways...probably could do it now and give the upper sections some more energy. All the new growth looks b-e-a-utiful. If they were in my garden, I'd cut off all the old crap and give just water until they say they need something.

After a month of no nutes, the fan leaves on mine (in flower) are starting to pale the fans.

9. no foliar sprays used here...

for real man, my big plants had a Super tight root mass that was really bound up before i transplanted them... so now the root balls dry up and the plant sags and when i water it picks back up and gets better... BUT the leaves have been progressively curling down at the same time... so im getting over AND underwatering at the same friggin time lol wtffff

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. So if you use coco instead of peat what did you do about your liming agent , coco is more neutral ph than SPM  too much lime in this mix for coco IMHO . If the new growth is robust and green then again LITFA usually works well  with organics. 
    I have the opposite problem I transplanted into my new 15g fabric pots and  my usual 4 plants have completely taken over my room ...

11. yeah they all seem to be doin good, the burnt leaves are recovering great!

the only thing is that i cant tell if my big plants are over or underwatered.... it seems like both at the same time this is so confusing :(

12. lol thank you so much but ive decided that im switching to outdoor organic growing, everything is way easier, cheaper and makes so much more sense honestly...

how exactly do you water your plants may i ask? just tryin to see how its done by others...

13. I water normally right now, but am working on moving to a SIP system utilizing fabric pots (just have a tupperware container filled with lava rocks and then fill that container about 1/2 of the way up the rock with water and set my fabric pots on top of the rocks).

So when I water, right now, I thoroughly saturate my container, depending on how dry it is, it takes a while for the soil to totally soak up the water so instead of just dumping a lot of water at once, I gently pour water on my first then do each plant  and come back around to the first and water them all again. Once I'm satisfied it's all thoroughly saturated, I lift the container to get a feel for it's weight; i periodically life the containers throughout the week to feel how light they're getting. When I feel they're light enough I water them again; I use this method if I'm just using water or if I'm feeding them with a tea. Once you do this for a week or two, you barely have to lift the container and you know if it needs water or not.

Blumats have a sensor and water the soil once it drops below some threshold i believe, I don't have any experience with them. And the SIP will allow the plant+container to draw up water through the perlite/lavarock/vermiculite (or whatever 'wicking' material you use) as it needs it, so those 2 help eliminate human error.

hth

14. i tried the sip trays with the perlite, and it only overwatered my plants and fucked them all up

15. ive been working on trying to soak em nice and good each watering... the plants in the big pots are over AND under watered at the same time though.... or at least it seems like it... they pick back up when i water them but the leaves just keep curling worse with every watering... iv been givin them like 1 or 2 bottles every 1 or two days but that seems fuck up.... im thinking i shiuld just soak em and leave em no?

16. Hello,
    \nI am having difficulty finding a reliable answer to my question(s) maybe someone here can help.
    \nI want to pre-charge my coco first so it won't try to strip the cations from the soil and cause instability. I have designed my own 'water only' soil recipe meaning I won't have to feed it.  After the initial charge I won't have to worry about it as the soil will stabilize all the cation sites naturally.
    \nDoes anyone have a proper charging solution? I've seen posts where people have used a 1/8-1/4 strength nutrient solution but the specifics or results were never shown or explained.If this is the case would it be appropriate to use a low strength mixture of Earth Juice Oily Cann (Cal-Mag-Humic Acid) , Microblast (Micros) and Godsilica (Silica supplement)? Would you expand the coco in the nutrient solution?
    \nAll help is appreciated but concise and specific information is GREATLY appreciated.
    \nThanks,
    JoT 

17. Are you monitoring your temperatures? It's impossible for a plant to be both over and under watered.

18. #10020 waktoo, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015

Coco is a piss poor material for building living water-only soils.  It has a very high C:N ratio and a very low CEC (cation exchange capacity) compared to sphagnum peat moss.  It is comprised mostly of lignin/cellulose materials that are very difficult for micro organisms to degrade efficiently, and is rather devoid of useful nutrient content.

Coco doesn't strip cations from the soil solution.  It can't because of it's low CEC.  It just doesn't bring much in the way of available nutrients, or available carbon for that matter.

Leave the coco for the soilless mix/bottled nute' guys.  Do yourself a favor and use Canadian SPM for your soil base.  It's a superior material in every way, shape, and form.

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=1705697

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=1705713

You may want to look into biochar.  Useful as an aeration amendment, nutrient storage material and home for microbes.  There are several PDF's on the subject here...

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/650139-organic-higher-learning-resources.html/page-15#entry21362722