Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by InTheGarden, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Is it a supplement? Or the main ingredient? Or maybe it's in every bottle...

2. #9422 Hemp Hugger, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2014
    Well I guess I'll stop using the bone and blood meals then... I use the alfalfa and kelp crab and the neem all with the garden tone added so I should have everything covered. ...and I still put a cup of the rainbow mix grow and bloom as well so I guess I can just dump the bone and blood meals into my veggie garden right

3. you've already got the blood and bone meal in the garden tone and the rainbow mix I don't think anymore is needed your soil should kick some major ass my question is I've seen some of your pictures if the soil you described grew those plants why would you want to change it?

4. Just trying to make it as plant based as humanely possible. ...and their both in the other amendments so hopefully it won't affect it to much....

Kind of a weird organic *hope&change* to a mix that is working, just to be more plant based and PC? :confused_2:
    Is this for you, or your plants? No put down, but think about it.

Wet

6. I was under the impression that bone meal and blood meal were bad that's why I'm changing it. And I consider the change to be for me and my girls.

7. #9427 Emmitt Otter, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2014
    blood and bone meal are not necessarily organic ie. you don't know what the cows were fed that were slaughtered, and they take a long time to break down I don't see how they would hurt your final product though, you use blood and bone to grow that stripper glitter correct? How was your aroma and taste after the cure!

8. Smooth with a lovely exhale the smell is insane even in sealed enclosures...

9. I think the biggest difference is with alfalfa meal, neem meal, you get everything blood and bone meal offer plus more, multi taskers if you will whereas blood and bone meal don't bring as much to the party .

10. And that's why I'm removing them from my mix, plus the thought of gmo even if just a distant byproduct scares the hell out of me...

I don't think you're thinking about the girls so much as the 'me' part.

I use blood and bone AND alfalfa and neem and soy and kelp AND comfrey and something I'm sure I'm forgetting, but the point is, it all goes together to make my plants happy. They don't seem to care much about MY sensibilities. :eek:  :ey:

Wet

Seriously, WTF!?!

Are you not organic because you chow down at Mickey D's or Taco Hell?

Hard to get more organic than blood or bone from a living creature.

Wet

13. Ok take a small breath and I'll try and explain a ill better...lol if I get all the benefits of the bone and blood meals from my other amendments then I don't see the reason in taking a chance on exposing myself, especially since my lungs are literally on their last leg, to any chemicals or what ever other nonsense non organic farms use....plus if it hurts the mix I'm sure I can find a truly pure organic replacement. And that's why I said it's for me and my girls if I don't want it in me, I don't want it in my girls......

14. my bad

15. I think everyone has there preferences to what they want in there soil. I can see both sides of the book here . I'm still on the fence about blood and bone but I haven't used my soil yet so I will see when I use it. I just want to be as concious as I c a n be to put anything man made into my body! Just my opinon

16. I don't eat fast food and all my meats come from a farm that is literally right up from me and I grow my own veggies. ..

17. I think he is referring to the fact that most of the blood, bone, feather etc is a product of the factory farming industry where GMO corn/soy is the standard "food" along with the usual duffel bag of antibiotics that come along with that. So while it is an animal product (organic) it is not raised on wild or organically grown food. Of course I guess that depends on your definition of "organically grown food".

The word "organic" has so many meanings nowadays.... blood/bone/feather is just something that some people prefer not to use and others like to use.

Personally, if I had a cow on my pasture that died, I would see no problem in grinding his bones into powder to increase he surface area and the rate of decomposition. I guess I support the use of bone meal then lol.

EO is good people, wet. No need to jump on him for semantics. :smoke:

18. I've used both blood and bone in the past I never said they were bad amendments and I'm the last guy you could acuse of living an organic life and I didn't take any offense wet just merely trying to point out with TJ did

Well, I'll apologize here then, especially jumping on someone over semantics. God knows I express myself poorly enough most times.

Mt cousin was a dairy farmer. With incentives and after 40 years of 4am milkings he got into grass fed beef. Got rid of all the milk cows, but not the acreage. They still need worming and anti-biotics when necessary, they still need feed and hay and silage when the pastures are dormant in the winter. About as organic as you can get. He also grows his own hay and silage, 500+acres+rentals is a chunk of landscape. I asked him about 'certified organic' and he said no. Too much $$$$$ and hoops when grass fed pretty much says the same thing. He still gets $1/lb more, live weight, than feed lot steers. That's $900 to $1100 more/cow.

lol  :eek:  :eek: Any dead cows in the pasture get dragged off to the 'bone yard'and doesn't get mixed in anything that the other cows will be eating. No matter the cause of death, you just don't take a chance. He doesn't anyway.

And I'm so full of shit! You're talking about factory farming and I'm thinking/talking of a pretty much realistic, organic beef farmer. Apples and Oranges.

Please pardon my rant.

Wet