Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by InTheGarden, Oct 2, 2012.

You could ask my wife.  :ey:  :hello:

Sorry, but that was so fat, just had to swing.

Wet

2. My Eyes! My Eyes!

Jesus! Direct me to a thread like that. What was your plant? The one getting the *claw*?

Big whoo. Just water for a bit, it looks just fine. Some of mine get just like that, inconsistent 'handful's' when I'm top dressing.

It will self correct over time, IF, you don't try and fix it.

Trust me, I've been growing the exact same plant for over 5 years (clones), and some look like the claw (fresh mix), and some look like the one a few post up with all the yellow (5 months+ in the same pot and very rootbound). The claw self corrects, and the rootbound ones get given away to friends who upcan and then flower out.

Next time though, add your lime to the mix before planting, or break up what's on the surface. Lime, or any form of more Ca is usually not a bad idea.

Relax.

Wet

3. This is the stuff i found at tractor supply, i was hoping someone could help me out and let me know if they think this would be considered something i can use as a rock dust. I dont know if the picture is going to work out when I post this so here's the link on tractor supply's website...http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/manna-proreg%3B-poultry-grit-25-lb

IDK, should work, if it's not too coarse. Doubt if it would hurt anything, if you keep it to a cup or 2/cf.

Wet

5. Alright cool thanks for the quick response wet. Its about the size of little quarter inch size pebbles. I was going to crush it up if it is a type of rock dust that can be used.
    I also found some promix bx and have a question about that.
    On a side note just lettin you guys know so you don't think im being lazy and just spouting out questions that i have read a lot on organics and organic growing on GC and google. However, it is really hard to retain all this information for me.

Soo..back to my question about the promix. Is it like peat moss where i need to do something to expand it and then let it dry or something like that? Or is it just like a soil type of mix that just goes right into my bin that im mixing up my mix in?

6. shane..
      3.8 cubic foot Promix bales of peat moss are stone dry and compressed.. The best way I've found to un-compress them is to split the bale open then dump the mostly whole halves into a couple of clean trashcans or large trash bags and add a few gals of water.. Let it set overnight closed up then break it up by hand adding more water as needed..

I messed around for months looking for a local rock dust source before finally ordering a 50 pound sack from agrowinn..
    http://www.fertilizeronline.com/

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1277064-sourcing-organic-soil-mix-components.html#entry19391792
    Here is the organic source thread that jerry maintains.. Lots of good info here..

7. Ok that's what I figured I'd prolly have to do. Thanks brass!
    I've honestly lurked around on this and a couple of other forums(although I always found myself coming back to gc after a little while on other forums...they just don't seem to have the huge amount of insanely intelligent people) but I still get excited to hear back from all the well respected blades around here.
    It's like I've read soo much but still have so many questions!!

8. Original screen name haha

Sent from my XT1080 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. #8831 over dere, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014

Baldheaded Rasta

About 6 years ago a comprehensive series of research projects centered on vermicompost and pure worm castings were conducted at Cornell University which is one of the world's leading horticulture research institutions.

They landed on a number of 15 - 20% of pure worm castings as being the best ratio. Not that using more would cause any problems or limit the growth & flowering rates but that higher amounts did not increase the benefits in any way - didn't diminish anything but basically you would be wasting such a valuable resource.

Pure worm castings can take anywhere from 18 - 24 months to the point where there is no remaining unprocessed organic material. It would be highly, highly unlikely that any of us would ever find pure EWC - not saying it's impossible but highly improbable - like maybe 0.001% chance if you're lucky.

Vermicompost (the premium stuff anyway) comes is about 66 - 70% worm castings and 30% of the original material you started with. This is why among other sane reasons that we want to start with thermal compost that was correctly made and finished (cured) vs. Farmer Bob's pile of something out behind the barn. 

HTH

CC

10. #8833 Oz Bushman's Hanky, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2014
    Hi guys, I was Just wondering instead of crab, lobster or prawn shells, would yabbie or shrimp shells from fresh water do exactly the same thing? I have access to lots of yabbies and it would be awesome if they can be a direct replacement.

Oz Bushman's Hanky

Absolutely......

12. #8835 CaliforniaDreamer, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    Deleted

Attached Files:

13. Thank you for the reply, it has been pretty hard to find any real info about yabbie shells.
    Clackamas Coot you are so helpful thanks heaps, we newbies really appreciate everything you guys teach us.

14. Oz Bushman's Hanky

In the states Yabby or Yebbie are called crawfish and the 'slang term' used is crawdads. They're a big deal in Louisiana (Cajun cuisine) and they are harvested in Oregon where I live with the vast majority being shipped to Louisiana and other Southeast states.

I really enjoy them and when you order them they come in this huge pile with a bowl of drawn butter and a bib to keep the juice and butter off of your shirt - a great idea I would add!

LOL!

CC

15. We have literally millions here in the CA Delta but I have yet to eat them.

Way back when MM I knew some guys in Rio Vista that where farming them. I always thought that it was a sketchy situation.

17. There like chips to me. They never fill u up. Lol. And there a bit of an ass to eat

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app