Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by InTheGarden, Oct 2, 2012.

1. #7901 LoneRanger11220, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    As long as your soil has been given proper time to cycle, it is just fine.

I use this soil for everything, seedlings/clones/ whatever else

Edit: damn beat me to it. Haha

2. #7903 RED BEARD, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    Guess who's having mashed potatoes FOR dinner?!

smoke em if you've got em

Attached Files:

3. "should i moisten with the ACT only or a ratio of it and water?
    Also, when cooking should i cover my rubbermaid i have it cooking in?"

IMO it doesn't matter whether you moisten with an ACT or just water. Having quality compost and/or vermicompost in your soil is what matters; not an ACT.

Re:covering - that doesn't matter either, at all, just keep it moist.

Don't overthink this.

J

4. Im sure that moistening with an ACT has to have some sort of benefits. Can anyone advise?

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1314378-Mr.-Green-Thumbs-T5-&-400W-Mh/hps-Dwc-Grow!

5. I've no doubt that using an ACT doesn't hurt but after using well made ACT's from a high end brewer myself for a long time I simply don't see an awful lot in the way of benefits. It is much, much more important to simply make sure that you use high quality compost and vermicompost in your soil mix.

MUCH more important - as in no contest.

J

6. #7909 CaliforniaDreamer, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    Few questions peeps. Is a table spoon per gallon a general measurement to follow when amending soil. Or can you do more? And also is this per amendment or total? Example 5 gallon soil. 5 table spoon blood meal 5 tablespoon bone meal or would it be 2.5/2.5?

And also can you cook your amendments in straight EWC? And mix later into soil. I plan on doing 1 or two yards of soil next season but would love to get my amendments ripe and ready because I don't have the room to store that much soil until ready for planting.

I won't be doing this anytime soon. Just adding to my notes.

7. I think it depends on the amendment. For some things you want to use a tablespoon or two, and for others, more is better and you should probably use a few cups

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Kelp and Alf will get double. Probably ending up to be around 30-40% of total amend

9. If you check out the recipe on the first page it will answer your questions about how much. It's pretty simple 7.5 gallons = 1cuft. Measurements are made in cubic feet. You'll add your amendments at a rate of 2-3 cups cubic foot. Read over it a few times. It's written very well.

I don't think you can cook your amendments in the ewc's. I don't think it'll hurt to add a little rock dust or kelp to them but you'll need to cycle your nutrients in the soil. It'll need to be kept moist and that's the a very important part.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

????????????????????????

You might want to re think this "If a little is good, then a lot would be great" mindset.

1/2cup/cf of kelp is more than adequate, 1cup/cf is pushing it, and more than that is asking for problems.

With alfalfa, over 1 1/2cups/cf is pushing it IMO.

You might want to research a bit more especially with these 2.

Wet

Listen to wetdog because with the numbers you're considering tha will cause you problems that all the 'flushing' in the world can't resolve.

CC

Don't you have it reversed?  In the "amendment mix" it calls for 2 parts of kelp to one part of "everything else" added...

*I* don't quite agree with that "amendment mix".  :confused_2:  Just from finding out the hard way.

My very first mix (one of LC's), called for 1/2 cup blood meal, 1 cup bone meal, 1/2 cup kelp meal/cf. This was in 2009 or so and worked great.

Then the "if a little works good ......", kicked in and over the next few years gradually worked up to 2 cups/cf, and things just gradually got worse AFA yields, growth, everything. I cut back and things improved.

Then, lo and behold, I'm on the BaS site for the first time and see CC's amendment mix they sell, and there is kelp meal @1/2cup/cf.

Five years later and the kelp wheel has come full circle, for me anyway.  :yay:

Wet

14. Good thing mine breaks down to less then 1 cup of each Alf and kelp. But combined 40% of my mix

15. Hey guys is it possible to burn plants with too much admendment or act?

Sent from my COOLPIX S800c using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. ACT? No it's not possible to burn plants even if you applied it each and every watering. 

It's about microbe colonies vs. NPK or whatever with ACT applications.