Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by InTheGarden, Oct 2, 2012.

1.  Thank you I just wondered is all but do remember reading that before somewhere here from you Im sure.

2. #6982 puffnstuff1960, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2014

I understand this now I need to do a beter job with this for sure. But I needed to get hands on ASAP cause that's the only way for me to learn. Kinda like reading a blue print  some things don't make sense till you get to the job site. . My closes HD is 110 miles R.T Any major shopping is 180 miles R.T. Closes W.M is 64 miles R.T. Local nursery is close but just opened for business yesterday. Actually I have to go down this morning and pay for my pro-mix and get more aeration. And learn what I can substitute for certain things. Got my compost pile started got bedding in my worm bin worms ordered but think its still to chilly for them to be shipped. Now gonna go back and reread what I read this winter now that Im somewhat hands on. 

3. First attempt at an organic grow.  Followed the recipe pretty closely, using kelp, alfalfa and tomato tone.  Had to put the plants in the soil a little earlier than I wanted (around 2.5 weeks), but they seem to responding well so far. 

I also put one of the plants in the soil a few days earlier and it looks better since I moved it.  In the pic below, you can see it in the upper right.

Trying out a SIP setup using felt draped into water and 1g fabric pots.  The yellowing on the lower leaves is from their time in the solo cups and reason for the early move.

022.JPG

Strains are:

2x Biodiesel
    3x Lost Tribe (Kosher kush x Jamaican)
    7x Coast 2 Coast (NYC Diesel x Tahoe OG)
    6x Floja (Flo x Double Purple Doja)

4. Clever with the boards across the containers like that, stanly.

I think i may utilize this method for my room.

5. Just be careful.. I've used those tubs before and they will bend or break as your plants get heavier. (ie..dirty water all over the floor) F4T

Thanks for the heads up.  I actually went in earlier today and redid it so that the 1x4's are being held up by 4 pieces of 2x2s so there is no stress on the tubs.  I had noticed it sagging already and didn't want to take a chance on it busting. 

7. Damn I would hate to have to trim that many plants at harvest. :laughing:

8. THat's funny. I was jus thinkin bout that. Would love to see some pics if ya get the chance. 

Sure, here is a pic. Its nothing fancy and I plan on doing something that will be sturdier within the week.  Right now they're just stacked loose on top of each other.  Its about .5 inch above the plastic tubs

001.JPG

10. SS, keep an eye on the bottom of the pots. I'm assuming there is sp>wickmat>board. It could become an issue if constant moisture and little air flow. I'm really interested in how this works out. Way to gro bro!

11. #6991 StanlySpedowski, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014

I was concerned about that.  I think it was actually you I had a brief discussion with in one of the SIP threads about putting bigger pieces of lava rock under the mat to help with airflow. 

Decided to keep it simple and hope that the fabric pots will allow enough airflow without having to add anything else to the setup.  We'll see.

So far they're doing well.  I topped them all today above the 2nd node.

12. I was wondering, if i use this soil after like, 2-3 days...is it going to kill anything? I dont have any of my other soil left, and i have plants and vegetables inside solo cups that are really starting to get rootbound, and honestly i dont wanna spend money buying soil just to hold me over for 2 weeks or so.

I know they will get burned, im okay with that, as long as using it early isnt potentially lethal.

Also im going to try germinating some carrots n stuff in it to see if its too hot to start seeds in before it cycles...just for experimental purposes.

(for the record, the kelp meal and tomato tone have had probably like 6 days but alfalfa meal only got added yesterday. (i can wait like 2-3 days if need be, but i need to transplant soon.)

13. Whats up with the color of your water res?

I have had a problem couple of times with water in my res getting funky, and I don't mean like this
    http://youtu.be/UypeE3zTwBs

From the dirt.  I spilled quite a bit getting it set up and breaking up the top of the soil for aeration some spilled over the sides.

15. what about just peatmoss, perlite, compost, azomite, and garden lime for seedlings. some roots just became visible from the cubes. I was going to use this in 1g pots first.   Since im not really using amendments would i have to let it cook still? or should i just put them in roots organic I have?

Yea that looks good.

you will have to add ur own nutes at some point though, but if its good compost u can go a little while

17. make sure you water it as soon as you plant the cubes, plants use a combination of root pressure cause by osmosis(pushing water up),
    and a "vacuum" in the xylem ("veins" that carry water up from the root to all the parts of the shoot.) caused by transpiration ("sweating" away water this creates empty space, and to quote a great man "Nature abhores a vaacum" so water follows the path of least resistance and moves into this empty space which pulls more water up)

so it needs its roots to be in contact with at least some water to really establish itself, basically.

18. yah, i usually put the dirt in the pot, water it and then put the cube in and mist the cube a little. seems to work nicely.  I just wasnt sure if the mix had to cook since im not putting in the kelp meal or tomato tone in.  

I just plan on growing them in these 1g pots until they get about 10 inches or so, then im planting them outside.

19. Those guys did a lot of homework quickly and know how it's done :metal:   GTG convinced me to forsake clay and aim for dust from rocks instead--bringing me back to my basalt and granite kick. 

20. The babies that I plan on putting in my first ever organic mix ever from left four XXX bubba's and a ROMUlan bag seedling I hope It all comes out so I can confidently continue to grow with no bottles and here is a couple of close ups of the yard weed with a new hair cut

smoke em if you've got em

Attached Files: