Stanley Kubrick Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by holdzy89, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Watched 2001 the other day on Bluray. Still holds up as a classic.

2. Love every one of his films that I've seen. 2001 was fucking amazing even when knowing exactly what was coming next (thanks, pop culture parodies).

3. i love all kubricks films, however was disappointed with eyes wide shut. any one feel the same?

4. Eyes Wide Shut is probably my favourite. What didn't you dig about it?

5. maybe because it was newer, but it just kinda felt like it was trying too hard if you know what i mean, like trying to be weird...

6. yeah but it was dealing with a lot of freudian themes, and also Kubrick was probably trying to live up to his reputation as an innovator.

7. to be honest ive only seen it once a few years back, maybe i just need to watch it again :)

8. Im watching full metal jacket right now.

9. Just finished A Clockwork Orange before

easy 10/10. incredibly deep look at the nature of violence, anyone have a unique take on this one?

10. I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned 2001 A space odyssey. That film is really an epic picture. Consider the timespan it covers. As well as the commentary and themes it puts out there on society. Not only was Kubrick a master of camera placing, I really appreciate his movies for his pacing. He really knows how to time scenes, music, and cinematic shots in realtime with what the audience is feeling. A true artiste.

@Holdzy89 for a contemporary deep look at the nature of violence check out 'a history of violence' no clockwork orange but a deeply disturbing film nonetheless

11. Yeah I love a history of violence, big cronenberg fan also. 2001 really is a contender for best film ever, would have to be top ten of all time easily, tells a narrative of human history with images and music, limited dialogue.

12. Bumping. I'm on a bit of a Kubrick kick right now. Watching The Shining for the first time tonight. Also finished up Spartacus, Lolita and A Clockwork Orange. All of them were phenomenal but A Clockwork Orange really stuck with me. Might be weird but I watch my movies with subtitles, even in English since I'm use to reading and watching simulations I notice a lot more than with audio alone. I think I would have missed quite a bit in A Clockwork Orange because of the heavy slang, the only reasons I haven't read the book yet. Actually, I can probably start the book now that I know the tone and how it should sound. Funny considering I always put off the movie because I wanted to read the book first.

Anybody that doesn't 'get' Eyes Wide Shut needs to read this analysis. Kubrick knew new some shit, hell, most moon landing conspiracy nuts think he shot the moon landing.

http://vigilantcitizen.com/moviesandtv/the-hidden-and-not-so-hidden-messages-in-stanley-kubriks-eyes-wide-shut-pt-i/
    http://vigilantcitizen.com/moviesandtv/the-hidden-and-not-so-hidden-messages-in-stanley-kubricks-eyes-wide-shut-pt-ii/
    http://vigilantcitizen.com/moviesandtv/the-hidden-and-not-so-hidden-messages-in-stanley-kubricks-eyes-wide-shut-pt-iii/

I'll likely update after I spook myself with The Shining tonight. I don't like going off topic but are there any other directors/films that you feel hold up to Kubrick's? The only film off the top of my head that I feel I can put on the same tier is Apocalypse Now.

13. Here's a list of directors that are fantastic and a few films that will demonstrate their abilities:

Alfred Hitchcock - Notable films include:  North by Northwest, To Catch a Thief, Psycho, Suspicion, and Notorious
    François Truffaut - Notable films include: The 400 Blows, Fahrenheit 451, and Shoot the Pianist
    Orson Welles - Notable films include: Citizen Kane, The Lady From Shanghai, and Touch of Evil
    Ingmar Bergman - Notbale films include: The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries
    Akira Kurosawa - Notbale films include: The Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, and Rashomon
    Federico Fellini - Notable films include: 8 1/2 and La Dolce Vita
    Coen Brothers - Notbale films include: No Country for Old Men, Barton Fink, A Serious Man, and Inside Llewyn Davis
    Gaspar Noe (not for the faint of heart) - Notable films include: Enter the Void and Irreversible

14. that's because it was edited by someone after his death before it was released

15. #35 240sxLover, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2014
    All Kubrick films are masterpieces. My top 10 favorite films of all time are probably half Kubrick, with Coppola's Apocalypse Now and Ridley Scott's Blade Runner somewhere near the top too. And of course, gotta love David Lynch's works, but unfortunately it seems many of his best ideas got cut off short (his work on Dune and Twin Peaks anyone?)

My house is littered with 2001 and Orange posters hahah. By the way, any of you watch his film Barry Lyndon? That's one of his best and most underrated works. Top tier period piece right there, fantastic film work and story telling.