Rock Dust

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jerry111165, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Does anyone know what kind/kinds of rock GRD is made from?

I think the granite, in Maine at least, was formed by glaciers.

Just wondering
    ~ tree

2. Good question tree. From google:
    "Glacial Rock Dust is a natural mineral product which is produced over many thousands of years by glacial action.
    A wide variety of rocks which contain a broad spectrum of trace minerals are collected and pulverized by the expansion/contraction action of the glacier. "

I think it's just a whole mess of rocks. Whatever's in the way of the glacier apparently!

3. Granite is an igneous rock that is formed by magma.

4. It's been a long time since Earth Science, but I think that most are volcanic originally, with the exception of sedimentary, oh, and the "pudding stone" we have here in New England, which I guess is sedimentary too. I'm thinking at one time or another the whole damn earth was covered in vomiting volcanos. Lol

I'm not sure what the whole "glacial" thing is about. I think that most any rock (I don't think lime would work well - 5 cups per cf would be a bit much, eh?) as long as it isn't loaded with heavy metals would be fine, but for some reason? I hear that granite (kind of a conglomerate of all kinds of elements) and basalt (more volcanic right?) and GRD is supposed to work well. Reason? I'm just not sure. I'll look into more about what's recommended, and more importantly - WHY.

J

5. Jerry, Awesome pics bro. Damn. Hey didnt you use azomite in your previous mix? So, it was granite that gave you these stellar results? Good to know. I just scored granite recently and will be using it in this next soil mix. Sweet thread

6. im having a tough time finding any "rock dust"
    one more night of searching for a decent source without any luck and ill be in the yard tomorrow grinding up my driveway stones! thanks for the links~

7. Lt, if you have to, you can buy it on amazon. Depends on how much you need. If you have a mulch/stone paver type place in your area they will usually have some time of rock dust. Any place that sells stone will have some or will give you some rock fragments that you can crush up.

8. what type would be ideal? granite would be easy to come by if i went to the local kitchen countertop place. didnt think about it until you suggested it:rolleyes:

9. LT, depending on your location, you can call the local granite quarry and ask about their "screenings" (don't ask for rock dust, they'll respond with a perplexed response; ask for screenings). Here, 2000lbs is less than $15. They'll probably give you 50lbs of screenings for free (bring your own shovel and containers).

10. ^ there ya go

11. [quote name='"Sam Mcgee"']

Granite is an igneous rock that is formed by magma.[/quote]

I guess it was just shaped by glaciers, not formed.

"Topography and Glacial Geology. The topography of Acadia consists of a series of barren ridges separated by glacially deepened U-shaped valleys. Mountains within the park rise to heights of 464 m (1,530 ft). The ridges and valleys trend north-south, as modified by glacial scouring. Many park landforms have a distinctly asymmetric profile, displaying gentle slopes to the north and northwest and steeper slopes to the south and southeast. This landform is the textbook example of the roches moutonnees geomorphology that results from glacial action on resistant bedrock (Flint, 1971)."

From. http://nature.nps.gov/geology/parks/acad/

~ tree

12. I'd just like to say again, what a fantastic job you've done here sharing what you have discovered here. Also citing so many different sources that we could all completely master this topic with from this thread alone being a guiding source.

Great job jerry!

13. there are no quarrys within driving distance. however i did find i countertop maker who specializes in granite. the one problem is they get their granite pre finished. the lady said there would such a small ammount of the finish in their dust that she doesnt think it would matter but idk

14. Thanks Sean. It's kind of cool to have a dedicated thread on the subject.

Whereas soil being comprised of humus & shattered rock, it's more important than I ever really realized. For ever, I never had any kind of rock/mineral component in my soil.

Lumper told me that rock dust is as important as humus - that's friggin saying a lot, but when I stop and think about how it helps (indirectly) create mucho enzyme activity, I understand why he said it.

I've got to get my new mortar and pestle welded up! I'll be out looking for all kinds of cool multi colored rocks to grind up...lol

It's a beautiful fall day here in Maine - enjoy your day folks! :)

J

15. there are no quarrys within driving distance. however i did find i countertop maker who specializes in granite. the one problem is they get their granite pre finished. the lady said there would such a small ammount of the finish in their dust that she doesnt think it would matter but idk

16. Redpig tools makes a mortar and pestle that might be a good tool to base your pattern off of.

[​IMG]

17. Lt, obviously the finish is not ideal, but I wouldn't worry about it. If it's either that or having to buy it and have it shipped, definitely go for what you can get locally. It wouldn't hurt to check around for other places too. Look for a place that sells stone to landscapers and stuff.

18. #60 Dr. Who, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2012
    :smoke:
    LT, this is what I use. I'm in a similar situation with the unavailability of a decent rock dust locally. The price includes s&h with usps. A few blades on here use their ewc as well. Two very important products!

Agrowinn: Agrowinn Minerals, 10 lbs. (Includes S&H via USPS Priority Mail)

Any opinions about chinchilla dust as another option for greater diversity? I'll post a link to the blue cloud brand that I'm more specifically referring to went I get home