ACT - Aerated Compost Tea

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Microbeman, Sep 21, 2012.

1. #461 Atmo, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014
    I love this idea. I think I am gonna swap my medium round air stone out for a larger one and go this route. I just made a 1 gallon batch of ACT in a 1 gallon container and the foam can get kinda messy. I could easily get a proper sizes PVC tube and cap it on the bottom, maybe put a silkscreen over the top (I noticed a couple fruit flies buzzing around my ACT)

Also thinking about having the air tube come in through a hole on the bottom side, sealed with a rubber grommet, so the tube isn't dangling through the ACT getting all foamy.

Thanks for the tip!

2. Question for you experts....someone on the pepper forum I post at bought some "liquid worm tea" in a bottle and he said the bottle claims there are dormant bacteria in the liquid that come alive when aerated. Is this BS?
    I told him I highly doubt there are viable bacteria in an anaerobic bottle with a lid on it.

3. Vam.. a stays dormant until contacts with roots and moistened.. not like it's unheard of. But odds are it's marketing.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Oh no, another forum for me to explore :hello:

Good thing I have an extensive jar collection :laughing:

5. Nice Earl Scruggs avatar. I just sold an Ibanez Artist banjo to a guy in NC as I haven't played it much in 30 years.

6. Hi guys! I searched through this thread and around the web to answer a question I have but I couldn't find an answer so here I am posting. 

Can I make a good compost tea using only molasses and EWC?

Also @[member="Microbeman"] I noticed you mentioned KISorganics? The soil I'm using is from there! I've got both the plain water only mix and the water only mix with a bit of biochar added. 

MotaMike

1. Yes it's BS
    2. You're right about the anaerobic bottle

HTH

CC

8. Its possible, but remember not all ewc is created equally. The castings are composed of what the worms ate. You get your castings from a good source and you should be okay, as long as you have good living soil already.

9. i feel you. My EWC isn't that fab. It's from my state though (wa). I poured the remaining tea into my bag of EWC as well as my cycling soil and current ready to go soil.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. Dingus

If you're near Camas, Washington you might want to check-out Northwest Redworms. Here's an ad he ran this week at Craigslist - http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/grd/4601023646.html

Some of the finest vermicompost in the Pacific Northwest you will ever find. 

And cheap too...

11. #471 rain dancer, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    Have you ever considered growing your own redworms?

I started with the "worm inn" and moved on to wooden orange bins and i grow enough vermicompost (ewc) for 7-8 gardens and all my plants. The "worm inn" will even fit in an apartment corner and theres no smell if you do it right.

12. unfortunately I'm right in seattle. Wonder if they ship? I'll look around for a website. Thanks so much :)

13. ive thought about it a little bit. If I were to, I'd put it in the garage or outside(is this possible?). Since I'm already using bokashi, a worm bin would be an excellent companion. Then I could just put the bokashi precompost in the bin.. Hmmmm.... :)

14. This is the site that got me started.

http://www.redwormcomposting.com/

I had nothing and within a year of getting these redworms, i ended up having a farm with chickens, rabbits n roosters lol

Been a journey!

15. I would definitely keep it in the garage.

I messed my bin up and turned a bathroom into a fly haven when i started. Had to hire someone to clean up the mess i made lol, wife was so mad.....

pokesmo

Bentley runs one of the premier vermicompost websites. I highly suggest that anyone who really wants legitimate information and help to spend a lot of time going through his archives. 

Good guy all the way around, IMHO

17. I agree. I used to correspond with him regularly after my disgnosis. I applied what he was telling me to my terminally ill neighbors garden as well and helped him have a good couple years at the end with some phenomenal gardens.

I lost touch with him and the site and stopped updating my own blog, which was actually helping people from around the world. I fell ill again and a year went by. When I contacted him last I never receieved a reply. I wanted to repair my worm inn and was looking for nylon mesh, since my dogs (actually a new puppy) ripped up my worm inn and part of my garden.

He's a great guy, a family man, honest, sincere, and will bend over backwards to help someone in need. His site covers all there is to know about all things worm related. Ive still got worms I received from him, 2 years and many generations later. Checked on them last night and theyre still going strong! :smoke:

18. Man its really too bad He does'nt Log on anymore. This Thread Is Literally A huge reason i joined this forum.  I still have it on my favorites bar even though I've been a member for a couple-few weeks and have known he hasnt logged since the spring. =(  

ACT/AACT is a huge interest of mine and I found this thread extremely useful.  Not just posts from Microbeman, but from lots of others that contributed to the conversation.  

Thank-you One and All!!

PlaidBee's Indoor/OrganicThread

19. #479 waktoo, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2014

Mr. Tim Wilson currently resides here, if you're still interested in his pearls of wisdom.  Lots of other smart folks hanging as well...

https://logicalgardener.org/

20. Bentley is who I bought my worms from as well and I keep recommending him but it seems people keep posting to buy from Uncle Jims despite him having some of the worst reviews out there. To each their own I guess.