Suggestions for bulking up

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Turtle, Sep 20, 2012.

1. [quote name='"QuestionableUse"']

That's what I was thinking too.
    From what I've read, as I'm an ectomorph with an
    elevated metabolism, shocking your body with nothing but protein
    won't have anyone seeing significant gains.

You have to balance out between protein, carbohydrates, and fats (e.g. calories) amongst the day, with your main focus being on a high calorie consumption for your preworkout, and then a high consumption of protein for your postworkout.

But I'm a beginner, and this is all I've been able to conclude so far. haha :)[/quote]

Well most milks have a pretty decent amount of carbs and fats in them as well. Milk isn't just protein

Now Idk if a gallon of milk a day is good for you, I can't see too much harm in it though.

2. How about irritable bowel syndrome, or Chron's disease? To much calcium can be toxic. You should just spend your money on real food, considering the prices of milk these days.

People these days will eat or do anything to gain weight.

3. Here's how I see the gallon of milk a day theory and that's that too much of a good thing isn't good. So people who try this have to find out from experience how it will affect their body before continuing on with a gallon a day so maybe stick with half a gallon the by the next week your at the whole gallon? Idk some more blabin.

Toga :)

4. I wasn't talking about the milk only having protein. haha
    but I can see how it might have come off like that. :p

I just meant in general, protein won't do much for you if it's
    not balanced right between fats and carbohydrates.

There are reasons why I think milk shouldn't really be heavily replied upon though, but they're all my opinions anyway concluded from information I've gathered on my own. I guess the only thing I can say is too much can kill you, just like anything else, so be careful. :)

5. After reading I can see why GOMAD diet might work, but it can still be an overload for some, and should be balanced in your diet, just like any other food.
    But I still can't say too much, as I'm still a beginner. :rolleyes:

I'll check out that subreddit you posted though.
    Seems helpful.

6. yo gallon of milk a day is a terrible idea IMO. yuk when i have a cup of milk my nose gets clogged, my mouth has a film in it, and my shit sticks to my asshole. dairy=head to toe congestion.

not to mention the political reasons.. why not to support the dairy industry. its all about your priorities i guess. im getting a bit evangelical but i want to recommend staying back on the milk products, and if you do, support the proper farmer, the quality speaks for itself.

7. Eat everything. Doesn't matter if it's good food or not. Eat every two hours and eat everything.

Buy some whey isolate or a mass gainer with whey. Consume at least 1-2 grams of protein per pound of body weight.

Almonds are good, snack on them all day long. Turkey, eat a lot of turkey.

Pushups won't exactly build muscle mass but they will build strength. If you haven't been doing pushups you will notice a difference in size and toning.
    Chin ups too.

8. And keep them munchies healthy!

9. if I was you I would right down and keep track of what you eat and start counting macro nutrients, just look on your food packages and see how many carbs/fat/protein your taking in. Ideally you want to be getting about 35% of your calories from protein, 45% from carbs, 20% fats. Add up how much your getting protein I would say you need 1g per lb of body weight. Then simply increase your calorie intake gradually every week or 2 untill you get used to the increase. Then increase calorie intake again. You will soon start to gain size. As far as workouts go if you can't go to the gym look up some good calesthenics routines, you can build up just as much muscle doing these if you do them right things like Pistol squats, weighted pull ups etc