Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can You Overdose?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by MilkyMilkshake5, Sep 17, 2012.

1. no its not possible. Unless you can smoke 1500 pounds in 15 minutes

2. This guy can't be serious..I mean if you have any logic just look at the guys posts. "Billy Jenkins" died from one joint. I mean maybe a joint of something else, but not weed.

3. A) A Troll
    B) Billy is not human, thus he died.
    C) Billy's brother is only half-human, thus he survived, but is in a coma.
    D) ZOMG, someone laced all the weedz with 100% pure uncut cocaine and meth!

Hmmm...:rolleyes:

Much love to you Granny for posting a sound bit of truth here, but I don't think it was necessary. I never consider your facts merely troll food. :smoke:

4. Even bullshit websites like the DEA and Above the influence don't make claims you can overdose and die. If they don't-what does that tell you?

5. #45 InitialToke93, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2012
    If you could OD off of weed i would have been dead many years ago

6. MilkyMilkshake5:

First off, assuming ol' Billy Jenkins and the story is real (it reeks of a made-up character/story), he must have had something else hidden in that "joint" to have "destroyed his brain instantly". Marijuana does not do that. In fact, I think if you look around hard enough you will find papers that support the idea that it actually promotes neurogenesis.

Second, you have already been given adequate information from Storm Crow on the possibilities of overdosing on marijuana; none.

***Edit: Found you a research article for neurogenesis, although I haven't read through it. http://www.jci.org/articles/view/25509***

7. 4 bowls into trying, if you don't here from me then you can overdose... or I passed out.

8. Good news - Your never going to be able to afford to overdoes

Bad news - you could get carryed away and green out which is probably just as bad as overdosing

9. Yes you can, but it would take approx. 1500 pounds of weed, or a 250,000 pot brownies. I got this info from a YouTube video, I will post the link later.

10. Every negative thing you have ever heard about weed your entire life is mostly wrong. I was exactly the same as you until I tried it for myself. Its pretty much impossible for you to be able to smoke enough to harm you

11. As I'm sure others have covered in this thread already.. No, you can't overdose.

Pot can kill you though.. if you attempt to eat a couple pounds and choke on it in the process. :D

Seriously though, you can't OD. You'll just fall asleep and then wake up in a pool of melted ice cream and cheeto dust.

12. Cannabis is one of the least toxic substances known to mankind... there are hundreds of food items on the shelves of your local grocery store that will quickly kill you, due to over consumption and rapid poisoning, or an acute toxicity, long before cannabis ever could.

It was one of the very first domesticated crops, and is considered to be regularly used by more people, than virtually all pharmaceuticals... yet still no fatalities, with all that use.

People struggle to achieve that epic 'high', eat as MUCH as they can fit in their bellies... and it's not even close to the amount needed to over-dose to the point of death!

You can certainly 'over dose' as in, you can smoke or eat too much and become uncomfortable and 'green out' (dizzy, room spins, nausea, sometimes vomiting)... but you're not going to die.

More people die every year, from 100% PURE water intoxication... that's right, pure, clean, fresh drinking water can kill you, long before cannabis ever can.

Even when cannabis concentrates are formulated and injected directly into the system, in order to induce a death, scientists literally needed to replace the blood supply, to such an extent, that the animal dies of electrolyte imbalance and oxygen deprivation (a bit like suffocating those monkeys with pure smoke and virtually no oxygen, for hours on end, just to prove how harmful smoking was) which will happen when replacing the blood supply with any other substance beyond a blood transfusion, in the same amount of time, or even less time, where cannabis is so much less toxic than most substances on the globe.

And orally, according to the best science we (and the US government) have, you would need to consume -and actually absorb- over 14 - 15 pounds in less than 15 minutes, in order to induce death due to toxicity, which is physically impossible.

Best of all, this is only assumed..... because researches have not been able to induce a single animal death this way. :)

Even when eating pure hash, or drinking too much canna or hash oil, the reason no one ever OD's to the point of death is because when taken in volume, cannabinoids and certain terpenes have an 'emetic' effect similar to an ipecac, and mild, to powerful laxative effects... in other words, they make you vomit and evacuate your system before more absorption can occur!

You'd be more likely to die, from drinking too much of the cooking oil or butter that you used to make your canna oil... in which case, the canna would be your saving grace, and would save your life after making you vomit! :hello:

Here's an excerpt of interest, straight from the mouth of DEA...

Francis L. Young. Title: Former Chief Administrative Law Judge at the US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).

"
    4. Nearly all medicines have toxic, potentially lethal effects. But marijuana is not such a substance. There is no record in the extensive medical literature describing a proven, documented cannabis-induced fatality.

5. This is a remarkable statement. First, the record on marijuana encompasses 5,000 years of human experience. Second, marijuana is now used daily by enormous numbers of people throughout the world. Estimates suggest that from twenty million to fifty million Americans routinely, albeit illegally, smoke marijuana without the benefit of direct medical supervision. Yet, despite this long history of use and the extraordinarily high numbers of social smokers, there are simply no credible medical reports to suggest that consuming marijuana has caused a single death.

6. By contrast aspirin, a commonly used, over-the-counter medicine, causes hundreds of deaths each year.

7. Drugs used in medicine are routinely given what is called an LD-50. The LD-50 rating indicates at what dosage fifty percent of test animals receiving a drug will die as a result of drug induced toxicity. A number of researchers have attempted to determine marijuana's LD-50 rating in test animals, without success.

Simply stated, researchers have been unable to give animals enough marijuana to induce death.

8. At present it is estimated that marijuana's LD-50 is around 1:20,000 or 1:40,000. In layman terms this means that in order to induce death a marijuana smoker would have to consume 20,000 to 40,000 times as much marijuana as is contained in one marijuana cigarette. NIDA-supplied marijuana cigarettes weigh approximately .9 grams. A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly 1,500 pounds of marijuana within about fifteen minutes to induce a lethal response.

9. In practical terms, marijuana cannot induce a lethal response as a result of drug-related toxicity.

10. Another common medical way to determine drug safety is called the therapeutic ratio. This ratio defines the difference between a therapeutically effective dose and a dose which is capable of inducing adverse effects.

11. A commonly used over-the-counter product like aspirin has a therapeutic ratio of around 1:20. Two aspirins are the recommended dose for adult patients. Twenty times this dose, forty aspirins, may cause a lethal reaction in some patients, and will almost certainly cause gross injury to the digestive system, including extensive internal bleeding.

12. The therapeutic ratio for prescribed drugs is commonly around 1:10 or lower. Valium, a commonly used prescriptive drug, may cause very serious biological damage if patients use ten times the recommended (therapeutic) dose.

13. There are, of course, prescriptive drugs which have much lower therapeutic ratios. Many of the drugs used to treat patients with cancer, glaucoma and multiple sclerosis are highly toxic. The therapeutic ratio of some of the drugs used in antineoplastic therapies, for example, are regarded as extremely toxic poisons with therapeutic ratios that may fall below 1:1.5. These drugs also have very low LD-50 ratios and can result in toxic, even lethal reactions, while being properly employed.

14. By contrast, marijuana's therapeutic ratio, like its LD-50, is impossible to quantify because it is so high.

15. In strict medical terms marijuana is far safer than many foods we commonly consume. For example, eating ten raw potatoes can result in a toxic response. By comparison, it is physically impossible to eat enough marijuana to induce death.

16. Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man. By any measure of rational analysis marijuana can be safely used within a supervised routine of medical care. "

DEA Judge Young's Ruling on Medical Marijuana

and

OPINION AND RECOMMENDED RULING, FINDINGS OF FACT, CONCLUSIONS OF LAW AND DECISION OF Administrative LAW JUDGE.

13. #53 BadKittySmiles, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2012

I just got pulled into a troll thread, didn't I... :p

Edit - Just in case anyone was wondering: Google - Billy Jenkins Cranston High

100% fake :)

14. No no no no no NO NO NO! Stop...

15. hahaha yeah you did.

atleast i know billy is ok

16. [quote name='"RangerSmith"']The first ever cannabis overdose I witnessed was when my friend took literally 10 waterfall hits before we saw Yogi Bear 3D. He kept eating all of my fruit snacks, and drank all of my Icee. Then he passed out. When the movie was over, we just left him there, and walked into Tron Legacy.[/quote]

Lmao I am CRYING

17. You would think that if this "Jenkins" crap was true, the prohibs would be having a total field day with it. I haven't seen anything in the news about it.

I searched Cranston High- there are 2 of them in Rhode Island. They have had several Jenkins' there, but no William/Billy. :confused:

I searched "Billy Jenkins" -No flaming headlines about this poor MYTHICAL lad! :confused_2:

Milky, show us just show us ONE news article about this "incident"- you must be living in Rhode Island to have heard about this! Rhode Island is SO small, this would have been all over the Cranston Herald- but it wasn't! There were 4 news references to "Jenkins" in the CH - none of them cannabis related!

IMHO - The whole story is total BS! Now read those articles I posted up! You NEED to educate yourself so you won't post up any more foolish things! :cool:

Granny (Time for a puff! Answering this has made me feel cranky.)

18. [quote name='"Storm Crow"']You would think that if this Jenkins" crap was true, the prohibs would be having a total field day with it. I haven't seen anything in the news about it.

I searched Cranston High- there are 2 of them in Rhode Island. They have had several Jenkins' there, but no William/Billy. :confused:

I searched "Billy Jenkins" -No flaming headlines about this poor MYTHICAL lad! :confused_2:

Milky, show us just show us ONE news article about this "incident"- you must be living in Rhode Island to have heard about this! Rhode Island is SO small, this would have been all over the Cranston Herald- but it wasn't! There were 4 news references to "Jenkins" in the CH - none of them cannabis related!

IMHO - The whole story is total BS! Now read those articles I posted up! You NEED to educate yourself so you won't post up any more foolish things! :cool:

Granny[/quote]

It all is bs hes just a loser who thinks doing this is fun ! Dont even waste your time helping him with your great help granny

19. this is the biggest part of my argument with my parents man, if people overdoes and died from marijuana it hasn't been addressed.

20. Not sure if cereal