Texas Legalization?

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by roorfan05, Sep 10, 2012.

Not soon but we never know anyway

2. House committee just approved the legalization of cannibus for adults. Highly doubt it will pass through the big wigs, but hey, no one thought the initial idea would either. Most were just happy with a plan to decriminalize.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. #363 Grimm420, May 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015

you got it wrong. 507 will just make amounts less than an oz a fine. hardly legalizing.

nvm, I think I mixed up the bills, you were probably talking about 2165.

4. pigs are flying in texas.Im suprised it got this far texas has always been known to be on the last states to do anything about marijuana.Sucks the the medical bill didnt get anywhere

5. #365 Storm Crow, May 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
    Texas Marijuana Reform 2015: New TV Ad Compares Pot To Alcohol As Legislators Consider Softer Penalties For Possession
    http://www.ibtimes.com/texas-marijuana-reform-2015-new-tv-ad-compares-pot-alcohol-legislators-consider-1918413

<div><div><div>[​IMG]

</div>A new advertisement set to debut in Texas this week compares the risks of alcohol to marijuana and emphasizes the resources that law enforcement officials could save if state legislators soften penalties for the drug's possession. Dion Rabouin/International Business Times

</div></div>As Texas lawmakers consider a bill to soften penalties for marijuana possession, citizens will hear a former detective make the case for decriminalization on TV channels across the state. A marijuana advocacy group is launching a TV ad to run in major markets throughout Texas in the run-up to Thursday's deadline for House legislators to decide on HB 507. The measure would reduce the penalty for possessing less than 1 ounce of marijuana to a $250 fine. Currently, Texans caught with less than two ounces of marijuana can spend up to six months in jail and pay a fine of $2,000. 

Texas is second in the nation for marijuana-related arrests, and blacks are twice as likely to be arrested for possession as whites are, according to a report by the American Civil Liberties Union. The pending legislation was sponsored by Rep. Joe Moody (D) and approved by the Texas House Committee on Criminal Jurisprudence last week. If the House does not approve the bill by midnight on Thursday, it will not be passed on to the state Senate.

The new advertisement shows Russell Jones, a former Texas police officer and narcotics detective, weighing the dangers of alcohol versus marijuana – a popular comparison among advocates who point out that alcohol is linked to far more harmful behaviors such as accidents and violent crimes.

“I know of no instance in my entire career where someone was acting out under the influence of marijuana,” Jones says in the ad. “People under the influence of alcohol are much more problematic. Law enforcement officials have more important things to do with their time than arrest people for marijuana possession.”

The ad is sponsored by the Texans for Responsible Marijuana Policy with support from the nationwide group called the Marijuana Policy Project. It launches Tuesday and will air on CNN, ESPN and Fox News Channel in Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio and Austin.

There are currently 11 bills related to marijuana up for consideration by Texas state lawmakers, but HB 507 has made it further than any of them. Advocates have praised Texas legislators for seriously entertaining more changes to marijuana policy than ever before. Last week, hundreds of supporters marched in front of the state legislature in Austin, as Fox 7 News reports.

Gov. Greg Abbott is skeptical that the bill will pass in the largely conservative legislature. “I don't think decriminalizing marijuana is going to happen this session,” Abbott said earlier this year, as the Dallas Morning News reports. 

Still, a bipartisan House committee did approve a separate bill last week to allow Texans to buy and sell marijuana, paving the path to making Texas the fifth state to legalize marijuana for recreational use. The Senate has also overwhelmingly approved a measure to allow epilepsy patients in Texas to gain access to medical marijuana.

(The video didn't show up in the article, so here's the commercial)
    Support HB 507
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E83Uv4VtpsE

And here's who to email and call! Do it now! You don't have much time- Thursday is the deadline for House legislators to decide on HB 507!    [​IMG]
    http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/

Click on their photo and tell them what you think! Every "Vote YES on 507" email, and call will help sway them! And remind them of this headline- "Poll: 77 Percent of Texans Support Legalizing Medical Marijuana" (IVN- 3 March 2014)!

Granny

6. shit didnt realize it was due thursday. but got it done. 

7. Thank you, Grimm!   [​IMG]  So who's next?

Granny

8. oh fantastic. not like we didnt see that coming.

9. i just got out of tx, back to california.

it was nice to get some good buds from colorado, but you obviously have to know the right guys. good luck blades!

10. eventually all of the USA will get with the program