Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Salty metalic taste because of weed?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by StevenTyler77, Sep 8, 2012.

1. My stomach was a little upset these days, because of eating some food that didn't quite agree with it (I have IBS). When I started feeling better, I smoked some pot. It was a different strain from what I had before, really potent, I just took 2 small hits and I was quite high (I then stopped smoking, as I didn't want to get too baked). It was a nice high, lots of visual effects, strong body buzz too, interesting thought patterns. But, when it wore off, 7 hours after toking, I developed a strange taste in my mouth: salty, metalic, sour and bitter all at once and my stomach got upset again... I went to sleep and today I was a bit hungover, very relaxed, very empathetic, a nice afterglow and I generally felt ok, but the taste persisted for hours and hours, now it seems to slowly wear off... I feared liver problems (as I also had cramps on the right side of the abdomen, but they might be due to my IBS, as I've had them even when my liver enzymes were found to be good). I know that weed is not hepatotoxic. Could this be related to the weed? Could it have been contaminated with something? I also took a few APAP and ibuprofen pills during the last two days, if it has any bearing on the issue... Has this happened to anyone else?

2. Wait did it taste like rotten eggs or like fucking nasty sulfur? Are you burping alot?

3. Yes, I've been burping just a little bit more than usual, but I get to burp fairly often because of my stomach problems anyway, so that didn't get me worried.

I can't say it tastes like rotten eggs, but I've never eaten any rotten ones anyway. It's just an unpleasant taste, a bit salty, a bit sour. It's not horribly annoying and I can even not notice it if I don't pay attention to it. My lips feel a bit dry, although they aren't really dry upon touching them. I've had instances of bitter taste in the past, even two days ago, when my stomach upset started, but this taste is a bit different, not even definite bitter...

The funny thing is I didn't get this when I smoked or when I was high, but it started 7 hours after toking. Maybe it's not related to weed, but I just wanted to make sure.

4. Could it be that the act of smoking and taking so many pills over the last days, while my stomach was upset, has worsened my acid reflux and that's what beget me the bad taste?

5. Yo! Just call your doctor and explain ur simptoms, cus it dont sound good

6. I'm not a doctor or anything, just good at deductive reasoning, but based on this I'm going to say the two aren't related.

If you want to confirm, however, then smoke the same weed again and time to see how long it takes for the taste to come back. If its the same time then that's significant, maybe at that point it would be wise to get a new batch from a different dealer or something and run other tests on yourself.

If the taste returns though randomly, and you still aren't sure, don't smoke the weed that gave you that supposed taste in your mouth, and if the taste returns or persists see a doctor without eluding to the fact that you think it was caused by cannabis, as at that point it is probably related to your IBS.

7. I guess I'm overreacting and getting way too paranoid. My (sober) mind is running wild and thinking about whether the weed was contaminated with something and have I brought upon myself a case of poisoning that could end up with a life-threatening outcome. This is stupid, right? (After all, I just took 2 small hits)

I just am not sure about the legal framework in my country, whether I could get in trouble with the law by telling a doctor about illegal substance use...

Usually, weed is great for me. True, I never smoked when I felt bad up until now, but my IBS is easy to set off and weed never set off my IBS, it actually made me feel very good stomach-wise (I felt real good yesterday too, right after toking).

8. Dude ok so I used to get that too back when I abused legal bud like spice. I stopped that, and it fixed it. I also got this pill from my doctor at the same time, so that may have been the reason I'm fine. Now I'm not saying your smoking spice but cannabinoids affect the brain part that Controls hunger and they affect your digestive system. Cannabis isn't too harmful really but it can affect the digestive system.

9. Did u use a grinder cus some of tha cheap grinders actually grind the melal off the grinder and that could b the cause

10. It's the pills man. If by pills you mean medicine? I've had antibiotics and other medicines that have given me that kind of taste in my mouth, and when burping it was noticeable. You can even ask your doctor and they would say that it is a common side effect, if in fact that is the problem.

11. Tons of pills cause a metallic taste in your mouth. Lithium is the worst!

If its persistent though, definitely get it checked out

12. Yeah, that's what I mean by pills - the medications for the cold and for the digestive issues I've had during the last 2-3 days... Maybe it's my overly sensitive GI tract reacting to all the chemicals I've been cramming into it. Probably I wouldn't even have noticed it if I hadn't also smoked weed.

I never smoked spice, unless the herb I got was sprayed with something of the sort, which I probably will never know...

I feel better today, I mean there's still a little strange taste at the back of my mouth and my lips still feel a bit dry, but it seems to be better than yesterday. Also, I never got red eyes from weed, but this time they turned pretty reddish and they stayed this way for more than 24 hours. This morning they look pretty normal. I wonder whether I just smoked some dank that was too potent for me, being more used to something like high mids that we usually get around here...

13. Any updates?  I just started having a similar taste and feel tonight. 

14. I never got it again. It was very annoying and lasted for 4-5 days, I had to do my best to ignore it.
    In hindsight, I can tell it was a bad case of acid reflux, brought on by taking a lot of meds for my cold, eating a very heavy meal and smoking more than I was used to, at the time. So don't worry, you're going to be all right.