Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Mason Jar and Mold

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by koii, Sep 6, 2012.

1. So I bought an airtight Mason jar from walmart and I've been keeping my cannabis in there, inside of my sock drawer in my dark closet. I was wondering, would it grow mold in there? Since I only have one jar and don't have THAT much cannabis and only one jar, I separate different strains by keeping them in different baggies inside the jar. Would they be susceptible to mold? I currently have three different strains, one sitting in the jar, and two in separate baggies in the jar. They were pretty dry when I put them in. When I searched for topics about this I read that I should open them once in awhile to cure them, is that true?

2. Lol why store it in baggies? get some cardboard if you're that fussy over separating strains :p

3. Ohh you probably read something on drying weed after growing, cutting, etc.

Mason jars are the top chili of keeping weed dry/not moldy

Curing is a completely different thing

4. Once your marijuana is dry (which it should be when you purchase it) then it will not mold. People keep buds for years! i have some Master Kush from 2 years ago that i smoke on special occasions for nostalgia lol. I just keep it in an air tight glass jar.

5. Ah, thanks for the answers guys. That cleared everything up.

6. the jars will be fine, idk about the baggies though. I got a 10 pack of mason jars from walmart for like 6 dollars so you could buy a few more to keep the strains separate.

7. Yeah I only have about 2 grams of Lemon Wreck, around .8 of White Widow, and maybe .5 of some random strain I got for free. I don't really buy more than an 8th at a time since I don't smoke more than 2-3 times a week. That's why I only have one jar. How should I seperate them in the jar if not baggies?

8. If the weed is still damp it can mold. I had a fatty nug i was saving in a mason jar. Forgot about it for a week or so. Open it up boom mold. But your bud should be fine if its dry/cured properly already.

9. The white widow I have in there is just really frosty so I wouldn't be able to tell if mold grew it on it or not, but the lemon wreck has some white on it. I'm not sure if it's mold or not, I'll try and get a picture up.

10. I don't know if you can tell but on the top there's some white. In one picture the flash reflected off of it. Do you guys see any mold?

Attached Files:

11. From my experience mold on buds is usually brown and has kind of an ammonia type smell to it. are the buds damp or were they damp when you put them in the baggies? typically its a bit more noticeable than that as well. If you have any significant doubt in your mind it might not be a good idea to risk it. You can also try and pick around it.

12. They were pretty dry, and they were really dry when I felt them just now. I've only had them in there for maybe two weeks now. I'm only doubting because I JUST found out mold could grow on weed, so I'm just making sure. I'm an old man when it comes to worrying about shit.

13. Understandable, i personally think your good to go but i'm not really an expert in the subject so i don't want to lead you in the wrong direction. The last option that you may want to try if you have a good relationship with whomever you got your herb from ask them if it is being cured and dryed correctly. Mold is most typically grown in this stage. Last thing, how is the smell? is it similar to when you first got it? (and perhaps a dumb question) did you notice if the white was there when you got the herb? lol

14. [quote name='"Cannabisqt"']
    Understandable, i personally think your good to go but i'm not really an expert in the subject so i don't want to lead you in the wrong direction. The last option that you may want to try if you have a good relationship with whomever you got your herb from ask them if it is being cured and dryed correctly. Mold is most typically grown in this stage. Last thing, how is the smell? is it similar to when you first got it? (and perhaps a dumb question) did you notice if the white was there when you got the herb? lol[/quote]

Smells like citrus skunk and it's still pretty strong lol, I think the worry is gone now. The guy my friend gets our herb from is a legit home-all-day-grower that only tends to his plants all day, so I guess it should be fine. Thanks for the help.

15. Haha great! enjoy the high!

16. the baggies will be fine, thats how I always do it! one big mason jar, and if i have different strains i keep some in baggies to separate em. never noticed any problems associated with storing weed in baggies, there might be if you're doing it for months and months, but if you smoke your weed regularly it won't be in there long enough for anything to happen. Pretty sure nothing even could happen though haha unless you leave it sit in the sun in the baggy and the plastic releases its chemical nasties

17. Yup.. 'Definitely moldy.. better send that right over here so I can dispose of it properly...:D