Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Transferring THC from Alcohol to Tincture

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Maryed Man, Sep 5, 2012.

1. That sounds awesome, I would definitely add some eucalyptus to add an instant relief. Maybe even some omega oils for absorption into the skin.

2. Eucalyptus is good for it. I have it but because I use it before I go out sometimes, I don't want to smell like BenGay. I use the Tangerine essential oil because of it's fragrant cheering properties. I've looked into adding other things but this works well for me.

3. Nice. I look forward to seeing how these different things help my mother. If it would even take away a quarter of her pain it'd be a miracle.

4. You can make your cream up to full strength for more severe pain or if it seems to work but if you'd like it stronger, you can always use a stronger ratio when you transfer from the GD.

5. I'll definitely make a couple different strengths for her to try. It amazes me how it can be used topically as a painkiller, not really seeing how that works as well but I know from testimonial it does.

6. It has to do with coconut oil being one of the few things that will act as a carrier during absorption. The properties of the coconut oil allows it to pass through the barriers in the skin that normally protect the body from outside forces. As it passes through those barriers it also brings anything that has bonded with it along for the ride, allowing for the drug, in this case thc, to reach the tissues directly as well as absorption into the surrounding blood vessels. It also is one of the only beneficial substances able to penetrate the blood/brain barrier and carry an attached molecule with it. Most blood/brain penetrators are nasty bacteria and viruses. I normally can explain it a bit more eloquently, but I just finished a cookie and smoke, so eloquence is off the board for now. :D

7. #27 ToastyRoadie, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2012
    Ask Bad Kitty on the benefits of adding lecithin as well.

I am currently using bubble bags to make hash or buying bubble hash and making the tincture with that.

I used to use the green dragon method to extract the hash and then make a tincture from there, so it depends if you're starting with hash or bud.

I used to use distilled water, but have since replaced it with oil. (olive oil, pinion nut oil)

Here is a copy and paste of what I currently do, hope it helps, if not message me and we'll work it out.[​IMG]

Try this method, it's known as a propylene glycol based tincture and only takes a few hours to make. Mixing vegetable glycerine and ethanol will give you propylene glycol, a known food additive. I also add different oils and Loran propylene glycol based flavors (hard candy flavoring) to the hash. Good stuff for sure as this tincture is tasty and potent.[​IMG]

I like to use the bubble bags to make hash out of the MJ, making sure to press all the water out. I find it's easier to measure how much is going into the tincture. I have also found that one quarter of some good stuff is about 1 gram of hash when ran through the bags. I use 2parts glycerine to 1part oil to 1part everclear as the base.

If not able to use bags, then convert the bud to hash using the green dragon method, again using the 1 quarter ounce to 1gram of hash conversion, not as accurate as bubble bags but not too far off. One plus is you won't have to mix it as much to break down the trichs by using the green dragon method of extraction. Dump off as much of the everclear needed to get the right mixture.

For example, if I use one gram of hash, it gives me two one ounce bottles of tincture, just multiply using the formula, if you have more bud or hash to make tincture with. So for one gram of hash I break it down in 2 ounces of everclear then dump off 1-1/2 ounces after letting it sit, then mix with 1/2 ounce of oil and 1 ounce of vegetable glycerine for a total of 2 fluid ounces.

I like that I can make it in small amounts if necessary. I have seen others use one gram of hash for a one ounce bottle of tincture, whoa:eek:, but prefer two bottles tincture with half a gram each instead.[​IMG]

I start by putting the hash in a shot glass with everclear for ten minutes to decarboxylate by using a bowl of hot water that I break the hash down in, like a double boiler, the shot glass sitting in the hot water. I usually use a butter knife end to smash the hash and replace the water as it cools with boiling water.

I then reduce the everclear by letting it sit for about 20 minutes and then dumping out everclear and leave one half ounce and add one half ounce of oil and one ounce of vegetable glycerine. I then shake it well and add it to my little dropper bottles. I also started adding the Loran flavorings, good stuff, I like the pomegranite and watermelon. I add about 4 drops of flavoring to 1 ounce bottle of tincture.

Excellent to use sublingually and the flavorings make a huge difference. My wife uses it for migrains, usually one half of a dropper is good for her, .5ml I believe.

8. The most effective way that I know of for topical use is plain rubbing alcohol. What I do is break down a half gram of hash in a shot glass with rubbing alcohol just as before with the everclear using hot water in a larger bowl and replacing the water as it cools.

It works very quickly, I know someone who has for the most part cured a torn meniscus with just the rubbing alcohol and hash. That shit is supposedly painful and the rubbing alcohol tincture works wonders applied topically.

9. So would just bud+rubbing alcohol work? I'd like to give it a quick test before I go and buy all kinds of ingredients.

10. Absolutely, just throw the bud in the oven for I believe 10 minutes at 250*F, not positive though. Then put it in a mason jar with the rubbing alcohol and shake the crap out of it.

If you want to strain it, use one of the permanent coffee filters they sell that has a mesh screen. I use about an 1/8 of bud per ounce of rubbing alcohol.

I'm sure you know, but rubbing alcohol will be for topical use only.:D

11. Nah bro I'm mainlining that shit through a garden hose, go big or go home right? :ey:

12. Hell yeah, take a bath in that shit...............:hello::smoke:

13. Or have sex in a bath of it.

14. ToastyRoadie~ for your topical, when you use the rubbing alcohol are you letting it sit in the alcohol and then letting it evaporate off and then taking that and steeping it in your oil? Cuz I'm not seeing how the alcohol and oil would mix.

Also with your tincture, what process are you using for that?

The only exp I have is in making wine, beer, and fats for edibles.

15. I have mixed alchol, oil and vegetable glycerine succesfully and used it topically when rubbing alcohol was used and internally when everclear was used. The ratios are in and earlier post.

For my preferred topical, it's 100% rubbing alcohol and hash or straight up green dragon, as it seems to penetrate best and quickest.

Alcohol appears to efficiently dissolve the hash with the help of a mortar pestle type setup like I have with my little shot glass and butterknife end, yeah high tech, I know.:p

I only make small batches at a time, usually not more than 8 fluid oz at a time with about .5 grams of hash per 1oz bottle for internal use and only 1 fluid oz at a time for topical use, again using straight rubbing alcohol.

What do you mean by what process? I refer to both as tinctures:eek:, one is topical only and the other is either, I've seriously used it that way but prefer straight rubbing alcohol for topical.:cool:

The only experience I have is trial and error and seeing what other folks do via the wide web.

Badkitty is an excellent resource, she could answer any questions you have regarding edibles or topicals in a much more knowledgeable manner, I have much to learn.;)

16. #36 LovelyLady, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2012
    do you find the alcohol drying to your skin?

I just get overwhelmed by all the processes out there. If you're doing edibles they talk about cooking it anywhere from an hour to days, with sticking it in the frig during the night (not sure what that does really).

Then the talk of tinctures using honey, glycerin, rubbing alcohol...I thought maybe if someone were to extract the thc thru alcohol for a few days, gently burn off the alcohol liquid and then take that and oil process it that might be a better way to do it....?

Idk kinda overwhelming.

Is it true that one needs 4oz leafy material to 1# of oil to make a topical?

And you know, I read and read about throwing out the leafy material after the first process, but you know I've gotten one more process out of my leafy stuff. You can use it twice, why waste it?

17. Yeah, there are a million different methods that someone, somewhere will swear to. I guess it's just what you're comfortable with after doing your research. I personally swear by the alcohol extraction and transfer method because you don't have to worry about how long you have to cook the weed. I use it to transfer thc to honey, oil, butter, glycerin, etc. It's much more efficient and doesn't make a lot of mess and your products don't taste like weed or alcohol.

That ratio you're asking about is for one hell of a lot of topical. Do you want to make that much at first? Many people use their lower trim for topicals or even that second wash. There's usually enough left for a good cream or lotion or salve. I personally use a diluted version of my full strength coconut oil. I use 1fl oz of canna coconut oil to 2oz virgin coconut oil. That's a good pain relief salve with your additions. I use a small cream jar that holds about 3 ounces and it lasts over a month of everyday, all day use. In the past when I still used heat to make my oil, I would use half an ounce of good trim for a cup of coconut oil. That gave good potency for me. :D

18. It's already processed and bonded so.... just drink it and get fucked up.

19. well pared down...the initial batches aren't that large. My first was 2oz oil to 1.75g weed. It worked for a lot of ppl, some only 45 mins though, some for all day. Strange how you can get such varying feedback. If I'm doing my math right your batch is only double that, so I'm going to try that.

I'll have to look up the alcohol extraction and transfer method.

20. Check out the link in my signature for a version of that:D.