Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. You can evaporate off about 25% without getting the separation. It's going to be weak like it is because of the 750ml volume but if you evaporate 150ml you would have an extra .4g of potency per fluid ounce. As it stands, with 750ml for 42g of material, your tincture will have a ratio of 1.75g/fl oz and with 600ml the ratio is 2.1g/fl oz. You may be able to evaporate off a little bit more for additional concentration but you'll need to watch it for separation.

You'll still be able to use it but you may need a little more of a dose to get where you want to be. [​IMG]

2. Hi Sam hope you had a great Thanksgiving and all is well in the PS household. Hope the coming years brings you many good things

3. Thank you, mrsilly. A good Thanksgiving and the household is still standing. As long as the coming years actually keep coming, that will be a good thing. Who could ask for more? [​IMG]

4. LOL

Gobble Gobble

5. I am happy to report that I have news that will be a game changer for a lot of people. The news pertains to decarbing your coconut oil extractions after you've made it instead of before in the oven. I just got the test results back today and I shouted for joy. I'll try to get that posted soon.

Here's the scoop, though. I made some undecarbed GD and transferred that to an equal amount of coconut oil on my griddle. After that took place I continued to heat the infused oil at about 240-250F using a candy thermometer for another 60 minutes. The result was full decarb from a raw status without vaporizing off all the terpenes and other cannabinoids.

This means that when making coconut oil you won't have to decarb first. You can make an inactive GD then decarb the oil as needed. We will also see in the near future that the GD will also decarb in time making the oil or other products fully active with no additional heat at all.

Stay tuned. [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. I only have one question. If i were to go about m making tincture the cold method, drain Everclear with cheese cloth. Can i use that same Everclear and soak in more cannabis to make more potent?

7. You sure can, staxalot420, with room left over. [​IMG]

8. if I were to do the cold method. Is a bad idea to heat up tincture to evaporate some of the excess amount of Everclear?

9. Actually, that's the most important part of the process for concentrating, as long as it's 190 proof and not 151, which has limits. I usually recommend a final volume that equals about 2.3g per ounce of alcohol. If you use 7g then 3 fl oz after evaporating gives you that strength. If you want it stronger, evaporate a little more.

I only use heat after the extraction, not during, but I have no problem with it after that. When you evaporate with a double boiler or hot water bath, the evaporating alcohol doesn't get hot enough to do any damage to the cannabinoids or draw out any more chlorophyll which is what happens when you use heat during the extraction itself.

Just be sure you have good ventilation and no flames. [​IMG]

10. thanks a lot for this info, you are much help to me. I actually soaked 157 grams in 1400 ml. i plan to soak 50 more grams in same 1400 ml. The shake i am using is high grade. this might sound like a lot, but i am trying ot make most potent hard candy i have ever made. I am looking to get a good 150 to 200 hard candies out of this. What are your thoughts on the ratio i am using?

11. I'm happy to help. It's important to me that you get the best product that you can especially since you want to make hard candy out of it. The GD can really affect the taste of hard candy even if flavoring is used if it has too much chlorophyll. Since you are using it for edibles, I hope that you don't mind if I ask you a few questions first about your process.

How did you make the first 157g? Cold, hot, room temp? How long? Right now you have approximately 3.5g/fluid ounce which is a really good potency. After you add the other 50g, the potency will be 4.5g/oz without any reduction. Of course that is only a general scale and the amount per ml will depend upon the raw material. Just to give you an idea, I make my GD at a ratio of 4g/oz so you'll be beyond that, even.

How are you going to make your hard candies? If you were to use your GD at 4.5g/oz, you could get 20+ lollipops and more but the more you concentrate it by evaporation, the less you'll need to use in the candy and that will make it easier to work with. If you only make 150-200 candies with that you'll be sending people to the hospital. You should get several hundred. [​IMG]

12. thanks for info on the ratio i didn't want them to be that potent. I Decarbed the 157 then soaked it in 1400 ml in mason jar in brown bag, its been 5 days been shaking every other day. Im going to shoot for more hard candies though. I just wanted them to be potent enough to effect someone who regular vapes BHO.

13. #8494 PsychedelicSam, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
    You'll want them strong if they're for dabbers. Try about a half ml of the GD first so you'll have an idea of the potency. It will vary depending on the strength of the original material. Trim would need more than flowers, for instance. :)

14. #8495 PsychedelicSam, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    The Dark Star Genesis Project

Dark Star Raw1.jpg Dark Star Raw 2.jpg Dark Star Raw 4.jpg

Select Image to Expand
    I'm beginning a new project that is going to concentrate on natural decarboxylation of an alcohol extraction (Green Dragon) similar to the ones above but using material that is so fresh that most of the other cannabinoids haven't yet formed and that's why I'm calling it "Genesis". We'll get to watch how the cannabioids change and CBDA in particular as much as THCA. It's "Dark Star" because that's the strain name and not because of some sci-fi movie reference.

I'm also going to be using the inactive tincture to test other heated decarb projects that happen after the extraction instead of before. I already have one example and, believe me, it's a game changer. If you are mainly a coconut oil user then you may never need to decarb your dry material again. That's a tease, of course, but hopefully I can get those up soon, depending on my health, but I'm waiting on another sample to come back from the lab.

The images above are to give you the main reference control. I've highlighted some areas to watch as we go along. I will try to get the results for the "raw" GD before too long. :)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Sounds like a fun project ya got goin on there with the genesis Sam. Haven't been around much, work has gotten crazy for me which isn't a bad thing.

Had a friend grow out a few of the jewels, its curing now. I can't wait to taste it, he also saved me the roots so im going to make some root balm as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

16. #8497 PsychedelicSam, Dec 10, 2015
    Hiya, Nate. I knew you would be back around when the opportunity was right, but it's still good to hear from you. I was thinking of you and those Jewel seeds just the other day, wondering if you had gotten a chance to do something with them. Did you get to see them when they were growing? Others got a few very noticeably different strain traits with them, all were very good. Let me know how those turned out.

I'm using the root cream more and more and am noticing more and more things that it's useful for. A little goes a long way.

The project is exciting, at least for me, just to see how those cannabinoids form even if I don't know why. A little scratching of the knowledge itch if nothing else. :)

17. Other than a few pictures, I did not see anything. He popped 6 seeds and it was a 50/50 split of Male and Female.

Not sure if you remember me talking to you about my friends dog who had cancer, but it seems the dragon worked. The doctor told her it would be back because they simply cut the tumor off the dogs nose and did nothing else, its now been a year and a half and there is no sign of any issues with him.

• Like Like x 1
  18. #8499 PsychedelicSam, Dec 10, 2015
    Well, at least you got a few females. I'm sure they'll be good.

Yeah, I remember about the dog. A year and a half is like 10.5 dog years so that's a pretty good remission. I'm glad it seems to have worked. :coolalt:

19. I believe he also cloned some so hopefully he did more than one and I can get a chance to check them out.

How have things been on your end? Swell I hope!