Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. I don't have a qtr oz :(

Hows an 1/8 oz of blue dream per 2 oz of 190 proof ever clear ¿?

I'm gunna decrab the herb for 15-20 mins at 200 degrees Fahrenheit

How long should I let the mixture sit before straining
    What works best for you ¿

I'm trying to make "knockout drops" lol

Will I have to reduce this to make strong tincture ?
    I'm trying to make it last a bit I have a low tolerance to edibles
    I guess what I'm asking is will it be strong enough as is and it will last awhile
    Or do you think It's in my best interest to reduce it a little bit ?
    How much do you think I should reduce maybe half an oz if that ? Maybe not even ?
    What do you think is best

How many dosages do you think this is ?
    How many drops of my recipe do you think it would be for a mild dose .
    I have a 2 oz blue eye dropper bottle

I'm going for a "psychoactive" tincture

Do you think this will last me like a month ?
    Maybe take a mild dose once in awhile

P.S

I sent you a pm I had no clue this thread was still active
    I had no clue it had 347 pages and there's was still up to date posts
    You seem like the king of tincture
    Been reading alot of info you posted
    Thank you for the help
    Just looking for some specific info on my recipe
    There are so many pages
    I'm sorry if I'm making you repeat yourself
    Thanks again !

2. Morning You6....yes this thread is long but there's a ton of info of all sorts tucked in here. An 1/8 th is fine and a good start quantity to play with. Go to the very 1st pg of this thread and find the Index link. Everything you need to know is in there. And no, it won't take a month....just a couple days.
    good luck....[​IMG]
    H

3. Thanks for the help ! I had no clue this thread kept going. I only saw 10 pages but I kept clicking and discovered like 350 pages .
    I pmed the OP and they're helping me out. IMHO everyone really knows what they're talking about !

4. Is there a way to figure out the potency ? I'm trying to figure out how much to take for a first dose. Low tolerance to edibles.
    I'm also confused with the second run. The directions are great I just think I'm over complicating things .

My original recipe
    1/8 oz of decarbed blue dream per 2 oz of 190 proof ever clear

Now I have everything in the freezer
    I'm waiting the full 24 for everything to chill
    When it's ready I add 2 oz of alcohol to the 1/8 of decarb blue dream
    Now I shake and let it sit for 24 hrs.
    Now I strain that first mixture of 2 oz into a jar off to the side.

Now for the second run I'm confused.
    Now I take the herb I strained out of the first run.
    And put that in 2 oz of fresh liquor .
    Put that in the freezer for a day and shake.
    Now after 24 hrs I strain that 2oz from the second run into the 2 oz from the first run ?

Now I reduce my 4 oz back to 2 oz and put it in my 2 oz blue eye dropper bottle

How many drops do I need. Maybe half an eye dropper full ?
    How do I figure out the potency for this batch.
    Is there a forumula I could use for future batches to find out the potency ?
    Trying to figure out what's safe .
    Maybe making an attempt to standardize the dosing ?

Is there way to reduce beside the oven. I have a gas stove with a flame that comes out. Big nono for me.
    I'm thinking a fan and maybe an electric blanket ??

Thanks for all the info.
    Everyone is awesome
    I'm a noob
    Thanks again

Let's clear it up a little for you.

Decarb
    freeze cannabis and alcohol for 24 hours separately
    After 24 hours, mix the two and shake for 5 minutes.
    Place the mix back into the freezer for 2 hours then shake for 5 minutes
    Strain the alcohol and place the drained material back into the freezer for 24 hours.
    Filter your first run with a paper coffee filter and set aside in a cabinet. 
    After 24 hours again, you will do exactly the same as the previous run.
    Mix, shake and back in the freezer for 2 hours.
    After 2 hours, shake it for 5 minutes and strain it.
    Filter the 2nd run and add to the results of the first one. 
    Reduce by half or until the potency is to your liking. 

You can use natural evaporation. It just takes a little longer. [​IMG] 

• Like Like x 1
  6. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1

7. Thanks for clearing that up !
    Ill let you guys know how everything goes !
    Does anyone know of a way to figure out the dosing ?
    Is there a formula to use to see how much you're taking ?
    I'm trying to take a mild dose just to get used to it and not geek out lol !
    I'm trying to figure out a way I can standardize how much I take I guess .
    How long does the feeling last ?

Maybe I'm asking to many questions .
    It's probably on an individual basis and everyone is different
    Some background on me
    I'm sensitive to edibles
    Pretty afraid to bug out for like 6 hrs again lol
    Any help on the dosage would be awesome

Maybe 3.5 divided by 60ml or 2 oz
    So every ml would have .05 of herb in it ?

I think there's 20 drops in a ml
    So 10 single drops would be equal to .25 of herb

So to this means to me my first dose should be between 5-10 drops

Is my math correct ?
    Lol I'm just guessing
    I'm not gunna geek out if I take .25 am I lol ? (10 drops )
    Maybe ill start with a few maybe 5 drops just to be safe .
    How long does this feeling last ?
    Takes like 30 min to kick in sublingually ?

Thanks everyone !

Special thanks to Sam
    Very knowledge

It's pretty easy answering your questions, You6, since you wind up answering them yourself as you write it out. 

If I told you exactly, within reason, how little it takes in terms of cannabinoids with a GD, you'd think I was buggy so instead I'll give you something a little easier to figure that will also be a familiar scale like you used there. Your estimate is on the right track but a little off track. 

Your early calculations are correct except it's .058g/ml or 58mg/ml. That doesn't sound like a lot but it will knock you out of the park. Your dosage is much lower because there are 39-40 real drops in a ml. There are 20 "USP", or pharmaceutical, drops used for official measure like "caret" is for jewelry. So instead of dividing that by 20, you would use 40 (easier than 39) and your end result would be .0014g per drop or 14mcg and I would recommend 8-10 drops to begin just to give you an idea first. Then you can titrate up or down to find your minimum optimal dosage

See, a ridiculously low number but the alcohol is supremely bioavailable and doesn't mess around. If I gave you the numbers for actual cannabinoids instead of whole plant, you'd be shaking your head. It's amazing stuff.

However, I recommend that since you are using Blue Dream, you should reduce it to 1.5oz/45ml for a more effective result. Reduction to 2oz gives a potency of 1.75g/oz since it's not quite halfway but a reduction to 1.5oz gives you 2.33g/oz and that can make a difference in an average GD and one that will make you sit up and take notice, especially in a high percentage Sativa. 

It will last for several hours although it's shorter lived than if it's ingested. It starts almost immediately using a sublingual/buccal administration so it ends a bit sooner than if ingested. [​IMG] 

9. And that's why he is the Professor...[​IMG]

10. Really excited I asked those questions lol
    Learning from the pros is def needed
    Thanks for helping me out with the formula

With my math I would've came out with a few doses
    I was wondering where the whole 1/8 went lol
    I woulda been chillin on mars

Your math makes perfect sense

Seems like a good way to stretch your stash
    You only need a few drops

For the sake of conversation Say you have a 2 oz of tinc
    39 drops per ml roughly 60 ml in 2 oz
    This would translate into 2340 total drops in the bottle
    Say you need 10 drops a dose . This means you have 234 doses from an 1/8 stashed in your 2 oz bottle ?

Sign me up even if you get 100 doses an 1/8 lol
    This is remarkable

Thanks again

And guess what's right around the corner

Happy holidays

Thanks Sam !

11. I will also take your advice on the reduction I will make it 1.5 oz !

Your math is correct but it your dosage will increase as your tolerance increases. It's important to use GD judiciously to keep from jacking your tolerance so high that nothing works anymore, like a lot of dabbers I know. It makes a huge difference in yield if you're only getting one dose per ml instead of 4-5. Your titrated level will be your minimum, not the max. I use my minimum for most occasions but occasionally I want to get stoned, too, so I use a few drops more but not many. Because of that your total number of doses will vary.

Strains also make a big difference in dosing. I recommend higher doses of Sativas like Blue Dream because of the nature of the BD's properties. It will make you feel like a million bucks. You'll be be-bopping around and the sun will be shining whether it is outside or not. It will feel like the way you'd like to feel everyday, physically and mentally. Many folks don't realize they're so stoned until a little later. It just feels so natural that you'll never want it to end and it feels so right that you just can't believe it's the GD. 

The effects of all strains in GD form are much more three dimensional than other applications and you'll experience cannabis like never before as long as you learn to respect it's power and are receptive to the nuances that set it apart. [​IMG] 

13. #6933 You6know6how6itgo, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
    Is the freezer nessecary ?
    I don't think I know why
    Usually when you want to dissolve something you want it hotter instead of colder
    Is there a reaction going on inside the freezer that makes it better ?
    What If I were to keep the bud in the freezer for like 12 hrs then I start the first run then repeat afterwards
    Put it back n the freezer with the fresh alcohol for 12 hrs and so on

I'm not in a rush to finish i have the couple days necessary for this
    Just trying to be discreet
    Don't need anyone accidentally stumbling on something in the freezer
    Bottle of ever clear isn't very inconspicuous lol
    I'm sure I can flatten the weed out and stick it underneath something
    The question is though do I need the freezer
    Or could I use like 12 hrs in the freezer per run.
    I'd let it sit out of the freezer mixed together for another 12 hrs to make the full 24 hour day.
    If that makes sense

I sent you the link to Dragon Lite. Read it and follow the instructions. It's not that long and you'll find the references for all those questions about the freezing in there but you can do it however you want. No one here is going to twist your arm and say "do it this way only!" Also, I'm not going to recommend anything other than what my guide says. If you can't do that freezer time then you just have to take a chance that what you can manage will be sufficient. What else are you going to do? It will probably work since it's not rocket science.

Having that first 24 hour period is more important than the second one if you can manage it but whatever you do, don't let it sit out after putting it in the freezer. If you can only manage 12 hours then process immediately from the freezer each time. Cold is very important and it inhibits the extraction of chlorophyll. The freezing of the initial dry material causes the trichomes to become brittle and fall off for better extraction. The longer you freeze, the better. [​IMG] 

15. #6935 You6know6how6itgo, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
    Sam,

I'm gunna man up and keep it in the freezer !

Some more info on the dosing please
    I'm interested in our body's chemistry I guess.

Its cool our bodies pick up on such an inconceivably small amount

I read somewhere edibles are like .3 for starter doses. Like firecrackers I think ? Grind up like .3 and put it in the peanut butter and then bake it in the oven

I guess even if you take .02 of the tincture you'll be "good" ? As in Stoney

Taking your advice on reduction
    If my mixture was 2.33g/oz or reduced to 1.5 oz
    This would mean my drops would equal .0019 per single drop

10 drops is .019/mg and this gets you high ?

I think I'm starting to get it

Do you think it's reasonable to assume I can use 4 doses per mil to get Stoney ? High ..blazed
    Of course ill try my best to keep my tolerance down so it lasts

This whole process wasnt too bad

Can you evaporate with a hair dryer or something ?
    Is an electric blanket sufficient ?
    How much heat is really needed to speed up the process
    I don't wanna just let it air dry and can't use my oven because there's an open flame

I really wanna get my reduction down to 1.5 oz

Long story short my first batch of GD tinc will be done within a few days and I'm very excited

Thanks again for all the help
    Ill be sure to let ya know how it goes lol .

Alcohol is the best solvent for rapid absorption into the system which is why the dosing can be so small. With other dosing methods such as edibles or capsules, the material has to work it's way through the digestive system until it hits the liver area for more rapid onset but it has been absorbing slowly as it makes its way to that area so that the full impact of the cannabinoids has been reduced leading to the need for higher dosing. 

Don't use a hair dryer. It has a red hot coil that can set off a flash. Put your GD in a small jar with a wide mouth and let a fan blow over it for a few hours on the heating pad or blanket. Mark the level you want to reach on the side of the jar and just keep an eye on it. It will reduce quicker than you think. [​IMG] 

17. #6937 PsychedelicSam, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
    Natural Decarb Project Update

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have added another point of reference to our natural decarb project that is nearing it's first anniversary. That "point of reference" is a very important key to our continuing research and while it's not a completely surprising event, the extent of the difference in expectations and actual results is interesting and opens a bunch of new points of study. 

First, a brief history of the sample. It is a bud from a harvest in March '14 and another bud from that same harvest was tested in April after drying. It's unknown if the buds are from the same plant but there were only 6 plants in the harvest. I mention this point because you will see a noticeable difference in cannabinoid content between the two samples but that isn't important for this study. Conversion from the acid to the cannabinoid forms is the main interest. This bud has been kept in a sealed jar with the humidity controlled by a Boveda humidipak @ 62%. It was seldom opened so there was basically no air exchange during that year. 

This particular result will redefine how I look at decarb in some cases and will definitely alter some advice I have been giving, but not as much as you might think. This was a very controlled experiment and is the point at which we begin to work our way to actuality. It opens the door to several interesting scenarios which I will discuss at too much length later more than likely. 

As I often do, I'm going to post these results here accompanied by the original and let you look at them. I'll be back in a bit to discuss any questions or comments as well as provide my analysis. Questions and other comments can also be addressed through the Project thread once I get it posted. [​IMG] 

Select an image to expand

Blue Jewel test.jpg   Jewel2006.jpg

18. I think I can see where this is going, but I'll hold off commenting ....

I can see a lot more tests in your future!

19. Interesting
    THCA does not have any known psychoactive effects on humans in its own right.<sup>[8]</sup>It does have antiinflammatory,<sup>[9]</sup> neuroprotective,<sup>[10]</sup> antiemetic (anti-vomitting)<sup>[11]</sup>and anti-prostate cancer effects.<sup>[12]</sup> It inhibits COX-1 and COX-2 enzymes involved in inflammation in human colon cell cultures.<sup>[9]</sup> It has also been shown to decrease the amount of oxidative stress caused by impairment of mitochondria which is a major mechanism in neural degeneration in mouse mesencephalic cell cultures

Nothing has changed as far as the scope of the project is concerned. It has always been a multi-year, multi-test format that needed at least a year before any conclusive results were in for certain elements of which this is one. Whether it had shown all decarb or no decarb or partial decarb, there was always going to be further tests aimed at quantifying and calibrating in order to achieve a fully decarbed product under various environments.

Because of this test I now have a better understanding of the areas that need more focus and will be able to channel resources better towards those goals. The GD testing is still ongoing and we should have more results within a couple of weeks for the third installment of that phase. [​IMG] 

• Like Like x 1