Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. #6101 PsychedelicSam, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2014
    I have gotten a sponsor who is really interested in producing some distinctive topicals for various purposes, including soap, lip balm for cold sores, acne treatments and of course the pain formulations, and maybe even for hair treatment and for sure massage oils for the upscale market. I already produce his GD for his business and he thinks he has customers for it. He's been giving out a lot of samples and there does seem to be a niche for these kind of specialty formulas and he serves a very upscale area and cannabis infusion is very trendy, as long as it works.

For this reason and others I'm going to be infusing and working with a new oil, sweet almond oil, as an alternative to coconut oil. It has numerous skin and health benefits separate from those from the coconut oil. It's also a lighter oil but it can take enough heat to make a transfer from GD. 

You'll be seeing more posts about root oil and its incorporation into a few products, including a poultice for emphysema and the acne formula in combination with other oils. It's been a while since we've had any projects but I've been spending the time well by doing research. While we may be slow here on the thread for a few days, I am still working on new things and getting my basics lined up so it will be somewhat coherent when I unveil it. 

We've got a lot coming up. Stay tuned.  :) 

Here's a little refresher: http://www.cannabis.info/USA/library/3090-buried-treasure-hemp-roots/

2. #6102 STIGGY, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2014
    Its not the Flower
    The flower is only a house for the ants
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nIwztP1A5E

• Like Like x 1
  3. Infused Almond Oil --  There's not a lot to tell here. It's a simple solvent transfer into cold pressed sweet almond oil. Since I'm mainly using it for topicals, I only made it a 1:2 ratio of GD to oil, specifically 0.5oz/1oz. or 2g/oz. From this point I'll dilute it in fresh oils and will try find the right ratio for various uses. I have also just found a use for the 3 quarts of MCT oil that I've been thinking about tossing so cannabis studies are becoming useful. We've had others on the forum that use these oils but not for the things I'm go to be doing.

After much research I have discovered that most cannabis creams and other topicals seldom have more than 20-30mg of cannabinoids per ounce of product which is probably why the pain creams we make here at home, whether me or Stiggy, Ironhead or anyone else here, are so good. We use a lot more active ingredient. It's going to be a challenge trying to figure a happy medium between my own use products and a commercial product that will stand out. 

Anyway, here's the pictures...you know, "if there isn't pictures, it didn't happen" sort of thing. There's not much to show. The first one is the sweet almond oil I got at Whole Foods. The next one is the oil and the GD sitting on my griddle plate that I used for the transfer. The GD is the dark layer on top. Over the course of the next couple of hours, the griddle got up to 300F and the oil never reached more than 195F and that was at the end. I know this because I bought a laser thermometer. The last picture is the finished infused oil. It was hard to see so I set the flashlight to show it.  :) 

almond3.jpg almond1.jpg almond2.jpg

4. #6104 Honokiol, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2014
    jewel 201405-03 - top shelf stuff, sticky top to bottom.

Gooey Mess Jewel?

Where?  :confused: 

6. Sam 
    So you are using heat to infuse the GD into the almond oil Correct?
    Interesting, so this is like making coco caps without reducing GD to oil and mixing with coco oil.
    What is MCT?
    I wonder why people raved about the Pain salve we make Pretty strong compared to the store stuff.

7. #6107 STIGGY, Oct 25, 2014
    Hono Earth to Hono
    Whats up guys?
    Hey Sam how is hair restoration  going?
    Glad to hear someone is interested in using your mind for cannabis studies
    I really think it is your calling

Now if we could only use it to cure or prevent Ebola
    I would imagine that would push the Cannabis Movement years ahead
    would be nice

8. #6108 STIGGY, Oct 25, 2014
    Popped some seeds but they died shortly after I planted the rapid rooters  room was to cold (hurt foot bad)
    I could not get a light set up in time The seeds were ones from a plant that hermied so I was just doing a practice run anyway they were destine to die anyway.
    Oh well next time, need to wire the room up a bit wanna try my hand at LED

9. I wonder if controlled evaporation of the thc in a vacuum medium bubbled into a cold(Very cold) Container of everclear.
    I'm not sure if that could be an almost immediate extraction technique...
    Any input on this. I know it may miss out on some of the CBD's but at least it will be fully carboxylized.. 

Yeah, you infuse it the same way. MCT oil is medium chain triglyceride oil and contains coconut, palm kernel and another tropical oil. MCT's are the good fats.  :smoking: 

I don't know about that but I've had a similar idea about using nitrous oxide to pressurize the cannabinoids into the alcohol. Not the same but similar. I'm curious what it would do. You can do a lot of things with the right equipment.  :) 

N2O is extremely good at exciting fats.
    I think N2O may decompose into some harmful substance with Ethanol.
    I know it decomposes to Nitrous dioxide pretty quickly. Which if ionized could cause the formation of Nitric Acid. Which isn't really food safe...

It's used to make an infused cocktail and I've already met someone who's made the drink. I believe with a little adaptation it could make the GD extraction a little better. It's on my "to do" list but not a big priority right now.  ;) 

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/2013/04/weed-infused_alcohol_recipe_mezcal.php

14. Ah I see now.
    That's something I would like to consider as well.
    Probably a single doses batch at first.
    I'm thinking the length of the extraction under the conditions set forth, would make it better for a secondary extraction.
    So you can get ALL the cannabinoids as well as some other beneficial compounds out once the initial extraction has completed. That way a large amount of pressurized ethanol won't be used.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

That loss when depressurizing is the thing that would concern me. I also would not use the heat but instead freeze everything. The secondary extraction might be best for that. That's a little down the road yet on my priority list, though.  :) 

16. #6116 Honokiol, Oct 25, 2014

trying to name the seedling no. jewel 201405-03.   (aka Hodgepodge) Strain

I Know...... :bongin:

Stiggymess Jewel ! ! !  :smoking:

after our friend STIGGYMATA
    Long in the leaf, and short in the can.

hay what ya dooing with that,
    that shit is a stiggymess.
    GIVE THAT TO ME!
    you best leave the handling of this shit to professionals.

either that or Olympic Death Lettuce  wet like the rain forest only you know...
    ooohhh then i could have Mount. Rainier Death Lettuce
    Mount. Baker Death Lettuce
    <u>Puget Sound Death Lettuce</u>

:yay:

It seems to be going well. In fact, someone actually noticed that it was growing again in the vacant lot. It seems to be coming in a bright white, salt but no pepper. However, it seems to be getting darker on the sides. It doesn't matter to me, though, as long as it grows. I still rub a few drops of my concentrated Dragon oil into my scalp twice a day and it really seems to help. My scalp used to hurt all the time from all the keritosis and now it doesn't. I had a bunch of black lesions that are starting to fade and fall off. The scalp has a healthier look to it with a rosy glow from the new blood flow instead of a zombie white/mottled. 

The sponsorship has suffered a bit of a hiccup but is still in place. We were supposed to be getting a lot of bud shake but when the first sample was delivered to me, it turned out to be previously used and is fairly useless. We were told it would be last year's but that it was still untouched. There's a little head to it when smoked but nothing to write home about. I'm still processing it since it's to be used for topicals and see how that works out. It will be good for experimentation, I guess, but we're not going to get any more of it. We still have fresh fan leaf and roots and trim coming from the fresh harvest in a couple of weeks. It really pisses me off, though, about someone trying to pawn off used material, and charge for it. We got the sample for free but it's not worth any money. I'll finish the batch tomorrow and we'll see how it works out. 

I'm against the idea of calling cannabis "Death anything" because Death is not an objective. Life is the objective, so "Lettuce of Life" would be better suited.  :hippie: 

19. #6119 Honokiol, Oct 25, 2014

it is an old name from an old friend remembered fondly but i see your point and like "Stiggymess Jewel" best, still in honor of Stig. and because it describes the plant so accurately.

however....
    i have 4 seedlings to name 5 if my buddy lets me name a clone i got back from him and 9 if he likes the system and wants to participate. if this will be the regional release for this hybird cluster,

Olympic Jewel
    Tahoma Jewel
    Koma Kulshan Jewel
    Sailish Jewel (after the sailish sea)
    Glacier Peak Jewel

could all work and would cover the 5 clones i have if they all go right.
    i might change the order of which clone gets what name because Glacier Peak Jewel could be a good fit for jewel 201405-03 too.

20. Interstellar Jewel................................................
    Will take you outta this world