RooR, SYN, HVY, illadelph? Whats better?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by PastyKing, Aug 30, 2012.

1. #1 PastyKing, Aug 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2012
    Trying to buy a new bong but all the choices are overwhelming, I know I want a beaker bottom and I don't want it to be taller than 16 or 17 inches. I only have $200 to spend so I want the best I can get for the money. I think illadelph is outta my price range, SYN AND HVY are affordable and RooR is weird. What I mean by weird is that their Little Sista beaker is like $160 for 3.2mm thick glass and then like $250 for 5mm thick glass. I don't understand the price jump and I don't want anything thinner than 5mm. Also I would prefer not to have to buy a separate diffused downstem and I don't think RooRs come with them. So if anyone could help me out on which brands are better or if there are any differences between them it would be greatly appreciated.

2. none of the above

3. What would you suggest then, I'm very open to suggestions

4. You don't have to listen to him, shitloaf has always been a turd when you bring up the overpriced commercial tubes :rolleyes:..I am a RooR guy, however I do not suggest you go buy a RooR. The US RooR's I've had have been mostly overpriced, and the german roors are overpriced, but in my OPINION (Mr. Loaf)..RooR is awesome.

Go check out grasscity's selection of glass, or go to your local headshop in town. They always have a good selection, and most are willing to work with price a bit. Good luck man :bongin:

5. The main headshop where I live doesn't really carry name brand glass, it's all their stuff, and I know I'm supposed to show them love but all I've heard are complaints about their pieces. I heard there's a new shop by me now, haven't checked them out yet but I know where they are, it's a small building so im worried about my selection. But thanks for your help

6. No problem man, here's a pic of my gf's mini master RooR with a 14mm joint. This cost about $250 or so after shipping since she wanted a crown bowl, but the 14mm is only $180 or so on EDIT, and shouldn't cost more than $200-$210 after shipping if that's all you buy...it's VERY basic. You can find a lot more glass for the cost of this, but my gf loves it, and it's actually really fun to pass around and smoke with some friends, later :bongin:

Attached Files:

7. That's a beautiful piece, one thing I heard about roor is that the standard downstem they come with aren't diffused and that the bowls need screens. Is that true?

8. syn or hvy are both great choices. you should check out ssfg also

9. Ssfg has some really nice glass after looking at their site, there were 2 pieces I liked, one was out of stock and the other was $225 and I think with shipping that would be too much for me. Also the $225 piece was a 29mm to 18mm joint. How does that work?

10. you can get them to make you a custom piece at a very reasonable price. you should email ray. 29 to 18mm just means the downstem is 29mm at the joint and 18 at the bowl.

11. Ok I might just do that. Not right now though, unfortunately I gotta wait a little bit for this money. I loved the look of that showerhead downstem I wanna see it in action haha

12. And are there advantages to the 29 to 18?

13. id prefer 18 or 14 myself...29 technically is better because it allows for more airflow but its a negligible difference. but yeah for youre price range im sure you would end up with a nicer piece than if you bought brand name. although i am a syn guy myself haha.

14. Thank you, it's an awesome piece!

Every RooR bowl, but one, requires a gauze to plug the hole...it is a bit annoying because I lose them all the time, but they do send you one or two free ones...they sell glass gauzes at most headships as well, should at least..if not amazon has 200+ ones I got for cheap, not glass but they work. :p

Here are the links to a gauze and to the bowl that does not require a gauze to plug the hole, but I have one and it has come in handy, and it's always nice to have a back up bowl :bongin:

And yes, the three RooR's in our collection, two cam with downtubes, and one came with a diffuser. We bought another diffuser since, but they don't come on some RooR's..like the mini master. It really doesn't affect anything much...what really makes a difference in cleaning the smoke is a carbon filter...these things are amazing, and they keep the water looking clear after a long night of passing the bong around...my bowls are black and my bong water is clear..pretty awesome :D

Roor Coloured Gauze - 14.5

Roor Narrowing Bowl

15. Do i know you? :confused_2:

16. The thing about RooRs for me isn't their quality, I don't question that, it's the fact that some of them are so expensive and don't come standard with things like diffused downstems while other brands sometimes do. And if I did get a roor I would no doubt buy a separate bowl because I don't like to use gauze or screens or anything like that.

I also just emailed the guys over at ssfg to see about a custom piece in the near future, a variation of this piece, instead of their color scheme I think it would be cool with a red/black/white swirl color scheme, 18mm joint instead of the 29 to 18, 5mm glass or thicker

18 to 29 Showerhead Tube - Soul Shine Family Glass

17. Ray is the man and soulshine turns out some beautiful work. I am an owner of 3 RooR tubes, all legit, and have never been let down. If there is one more suggestion I can make, it's to get a 21 hole RooR diffuser. I've tried out 18 hole diffusers, arm diffys, Showerhead diffys, and of course slit diffys and none of them compare. Something about the 3 extra holes in the diffuser give it a pull that to me feels just perfect.

18. Is the roor 21 hole diffuser better than the showerhead diffuser over at ssfg?

19. honestly something isnt always going to be "better" then something else. go with what youd enjoy the most