Do you think The Beatles are overrated?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Superweener, Aug 27, 2012.

1. *Shoots* Ah, Happiness is a warm gun

2. [quote name='"didier12"']

*Shoots* Ah, Happiness is a warm gun[/quote]

I see what you did there.

Luckily I'm still alive. Maybe I should see Doctor Robert.

3. thats because abbey road was a more straight up rock album.

4. The Beatles also werent really working together on Abbey Road either. It was much more each Beatle had a handful of good songs and they threw it on an album. The cover is so iconic though!

5. Jesus Christ, no, no, and no. No.

I will say that if they had stopped making music right before "Help", they would be considerably overrated. But no, just no.

6. Beatles are the reason music progressed like it did. It's fine if you don't like them, because even I am not a big fan, but to say they are over rated is dumb. They are the fore runners of classic rock which lead to zepplin, the who, etc all the way up to what we have now. You have everything in music to thank them for.

Sure, don't like the Beatles , but overrated? That's dumb..

7. the who have been together since 1964 so I don't think the beatles are their fore runners.

8. #48 PajamaSam, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2012
    [quote name='"oldSCHOOL_toker"']

the who have been together since 1964 so I don't think the beatles are their fore runners.[/quote]

The who is influential, but not nearly as much as the Beatles, not to mention the Beatles were rocking with much more experimental music which pushed the genre forward. The who is a good band though I just don't think they hold a candle to the who as far as progressives in music .

Edit : Beatles were started in 1960 too dude lol so they were there before :p

9. Yes, they are overrated
    However you have to consider the fact that they pretty much invented the genre, the doors came along and made heavier music which is more appealing to me, the beatles aren't bad but i wouldn't consider myself a fan.
    I appreciate what they done for music though

10. nah, without them so many bands wouldnt exist

led zep, pink floyd, u name it

11. It's funny when people say they weren't good musicians.

Right...just because they weren't technical and didn't do a lot of fancy pyrotechnics on their instruments....

Wrong. They were great instrumentalists.

12. Very difficult in 2012 to look back to the mid 60s and try to make a relevant comment, unless you were there and saw the magic that the Beatles started...

13. Yeah this. Although I wasn't there I've done a lot of research on both the 60's and the beatles, watched interviews, read articles, seen pictures etc. etc,
    You have to remember what a crazy time the sixties were and what tremendous guiding power the beatles had. You had young people tripping there nuts off left right and centre all over the country not knowing what the fuck was going on, then the beatles came out with songs like all you need is love, within you without you, tomorrow never knows etc. The youth didn't just want these songs I reckon they kind of needed them.

14. The Beatles coming to America made people come out of the depression that America was in due to JFKs assassination. If you go to any acclaimed musician from really any time period and you tell them you think The Beatles are overrated they will probably punch you in the face.

In my opinion, to not like the Beatles, you must be missing something in your soul, or you arent gettin good enough shit. Who doesnt want peace and love?

15. People really say that? Who says that? I can't believe how ignorant a person could be to say they weren't great musicians. Ringo was the least talented member of the band, but he was a great drummer. He's exactly what any band wants, a pocket drummer who is like a metronome.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW6G3nh5S3I]The Beatles - I Want You "She's So Heavy" (2009 Stereo Remaster) - YouTube[/ame]

I think they were fantastic musicians as a whole. If you know anything about music and perhaps played an instrument you would have to admit that. The song I posted above is a great example, because they use a blues format and put different emphasis on it. At one point they go into a latin groove. They were very versatile, if you look at their catalog they truly span the glob of genres of music they could play and blend in their music. Very few bands have proved to be near as versatile as them.

My relationship with the Beatles has evolved over the years. When I first started enjoying the Beatles music I was a John Lennon fan. I was very into the messages he had in his song, his style and lyricism in general. Over the last few years I have transitioned into Paul McCartney being my favorite Beatle. He is leaps and bounds the best musician in the Beatles. It is not even close. I think his song writing is underrated. It gets a lot of criticism from people based on the simplicity and his tendency to use a lot of non lyrics (oooohs, and la la's). I think he's a better song writer than Lennon, because his music accompaniment is better and I generally prefer the content in his songs. Paul McCartney is one of the greatest bass players of all time in my opinion.

I bought this album and it quickly became one of my favorite albums. It is raw, which I love. The album is almost entirely Paul McCartney on every instrument, aside from Linda on some claps and background vocals. I'm thoroughly impressed at how many instruments he not only plays, but plays at a high level.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYXc-EOujhQ]Paul McCartney - McCartney [full album] - YouTube[/ame]

The Beatles are underrated...if that is even possible. They are typically not given the credit they deserve for being one of greatest bands musically. Luckily the Beatles ditched the early gimmicks and stopped touring, they put out their best music then.

16. Who falls you didn't even mention George Harrison. He was the most talented Beatle by far, and the most overlooked.

17. I just don't understand why their bopper music is so well-known. I think their real gold was the trippy music.

18. I'd say that starts right at about Rubber Soul.

19. he definitely wasnt, lennon was

20. This thread is so full of idiocy. It's one thing to say someone is overrated, but it's a whole other thing to completely disregard a singer/band's impact on music in general.

The Beatles went from "Love Me Do" to fucking "Across the Universe" and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." Each of the members had successful solo careers, especially McCartney, Lennon and Harrison. Jay-Z would have no Black Album without The Beatles' White Album. The Beach Boys created Pet Sounds to counter The Beatles' Rubber Soul. Such competition made music better.

Maybe most of you are too young to understand the impact of The Beatles, and if that's the case I urge to read a book (yes, a book) on the group to familiarize yourself. Or maybe just, ya know, listen to the albums. Start from the beginning and end at "Let It Be." It's a musical journey that not many bands can say they have had.

Music nowadays is shit compared to the Beatles and Zeppelins of yesteryear.