Do you think The Beatles are overrated?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Superweener, Aug 27, 2012.

1. you mean the remaining two?

lennon would've told you it was all bollocks.

2. My soul hurts from reading some of these responses. The Beatles started and led a revolution whose impact is still being felt 50 years later. And on top of that they wrote incredible music. Sure are a lot of their music is very simple and poppy, but that does not take away from the fact that Lennon and McCartney could write one hell of a song and both had a very wide vocal range. Going from songs like Mother Natures son to Helter Skelter, or Oh! Darling or (not bealtes but close enough) Maybe Im amazed. Lennon going from songs like Julia to Yer Blues or Revolution.

They could write a decent song in pretty much every genre of music

They racked up a catalog of 200+ songs in less than 7 years

3. What exactly would lennon tell me was "all bollocks"

4. I kninda know what he means. Lennon said The Beatles were nothing more than a rock n roll band who made i really big. Which is true, in a big picture sense. But Lennon has the tendency to vastly underrate himself. He is a psychological mystery in his own.

5. No. Beatles records were ingeniously engineered. I don't even know how to say what I'm thinking right now.

The Beatles were a group of musical geniuses.

6. Step 1: smoke weed

Step 2: lay down, headphones on, put on the white album.

Enjoy!

7. #27 JPGR, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2012

Followed by abbey road

And on a related note today is the 48th anniversary of the first time The Beatles smoked weed!

8. aw hell just start with rubber soul and go from there.

9. Is it absolutely necessary for me to start dropping names? Its just my opinion, after all.

10. Its been a hard days night Ive been working like a dog Its been a hard days night should be sleeping like a log:laughing:

It probably says something about your music when 14 year old girls dig your stuff

Then their later period, its pretty easy to make complex music when you don't have to worry about actually recreating it live.

To sum it up: Great Songwriters, good but not great musicians.

Abbey Road is definitely in my all-time top 5.

11. Yes it is only your opinion but I'm curious as I'm sure are other people about these bands that were "light years" ahead of the beatles, in your opinion. I'll be be honest I don't know any underground bands from the 60's. or the, uhh, wtf are we calling this decade?

12. To anyone saying the Beatles are not great musicians please go out and play me a cover of Lady Madonna or ninteen hundred and eighty five on Piano

13. [quote name='"Nechesh666"']

Is it absolutely necessary for me to start dropping names? Its just my opinion, after all.[/quote]

Not necessary, but I'm interested considering I really like 60's music and want to listen to what you think is better than The Beatles.

14. I think Love's Forever Changes was better than any beatles album ^ However The beatles were much more consistent and came pretty close, easily the best band from the 60's.

One thing about the beatles I reckon is over rated though is Abbey Road. Never properly got in to it, I enjoy some of the songs sure, but it's nowhere near their best work and I have a really hard time understanding how so many people call it their favourite.

15. I honestly dont even see how The Beatles can be rated high enough. In terms of influence, creativity and sucess The Beatles pretty much trump ever other band out there. And thats not really opinion either, its pretty much a fact. No other band has done as much for pop music as The Beatles

16. I feel like no other band has influenced music the way The Beatles have.

So therefore no, I think they deserve all the recognition they receive.

17. I love Abbey Road don't get me wrong, but the Beatle who shines the most on that album is George. John is fairly absent on the album and Paul really just shines on Oh! Darling. The reason it gets so much acclaim in my opinion is it just flows so well. The song order is perfect and the medley at the end is brilliant. Especially the Golden slumber Medley.

18. I used to be a hardcore Beatles fan, John Lennon in particular. Now that I see Rock and Roll as a whole, not like how Beatles fans usually only listen to the Beatles ( I know it can be just a generalization) and music has so much more to offer. Led Zeppelin, Cream, The Doors, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, and many more of The Beatles' contemporaries, had just as inspiring (most of the time more inspiring) music. Harrison, Lennon and McCartney are all musical geniuses. But then again, we have Jimmy Paige, Eric Clapton, Joe Strummer, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, David Bowie, Kurt Cobain, Kieth Richards and Jagger, and thats just a few.:smoke:

19. Yeah I like the way it flows I guess but that isn't really good enough for me to define it as a masterpiece, I reckon most of the songs on the album are pretty average with the exception of Something, Oh Darling!, I want you and Because.

I'm not saying it's a bad album by any means, it's great. But for me Revolver, Sgt Peppers, Magical Mystery tour and White album all had this strange mystical magic about them which I don't believe Abbey Road really had. I don't know if you know what I mean by that it might just be something purely of my own perception.

20. I don't like the white album.

Shoot me.