Do you think The Beatles are overrated?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Superweener, Aug 27, 2012.

1. I for one, live by their music. Especially Revolver, and on...

Do you think they are overrated? If so, why?

2. hell fuckin yes i do.. no offense to the hardcore Beatles fans.. everyone likes different music and i understand that..

im not even sayin i dont like the beatles or think they suck.. but i will never understand the cult like following they got

3. Yea they are overrated. Still great tho

4. That's kind of the case with most successful bands back then. I always consider cult followings irrelevant to the actual artists.

5. well of course.. i dont take anything away from the artist just because a bunch of people cream their pants thinking about them.. if i like the music i like the music, no matter how popular it may be..

i have to say tho.. i understand the beatles cult following more then justin biebers , at least the beatles made some decent music

6. Definitely man. The Beatles were true artists..JB is a product. I respect any true artist/musician, even if I cannot relate to them.

7. No, I think they're about right. In some aspects I'd say they're overrated, but at the same time they're underrated in some areas compared to today's artists, so I say it's pretty balanced.

8. My opinion doesn't get any clearer than that. Other than maybe spelling-wise.:smoke:

9. I can honestly say that I don't like a single song by The Beatles, so I would have to say yes, I think they're overrated.

10. Nah I don't , well kinda. I mean they are the most popular band ever by far with immense critical acclaim so it's kinda hard not to be over rated with all that.

But there's no denying that they made exceptional music, with an absolute catalogue of epic songs that were so innovative and reflective of the times they were made in. They were the guidance for the youth of the sixties.

Probably not my favourite band ever but there definitely up there like top 3. But I'd still classify them as the greatest band of all time though, just due to the sheer amount of people that appreciate the talent they have and the impact they have had on just about everything, not to mention making at least five masterpiece albums.

11. Beatles were overrated specifically Lennon

12. As someone who is working to write their own material, I can say that the writing of The Beatles was like no other.

13. [quote name='"Superweener"']As someone who is working to write their own material, I can say that the writing of The Beatles was like no other.[/quote]

No other what?

14. [quote name='"MistahWonderful"']Beatles were overrated specifically Lennon[/quote]

Lennon was more popular for his worldview than his music. lol

15. #15 Helikaon, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2012
    Their more poppy stuff really is overrated. But their acid years produced absolute magic and unforgettable music. That might just be because I've listened to them on it, so many layers of sound.

16. Of course they're overrated, and they were overrated even back in the day. Tons of far superior underground bands were putting out material lightyears ahead of anything the Beatles could even dream of accomplishing.

17. For example?

18. The thing about the beatles is that, yes they were great, but their music never could've been reproduced live, it was too studio dependent. in their later years their contemporaries were starting to put out more stripped down rock that sounded just as good live.

but no I don't think they're overrated, I love them, always have. when I was younger I couldn't appreciate their later work, but now I realize its mind-blowing. they were so ahead of the their time. revolver changed everything.

19. #19 Hiflyer0208, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2012
    @nechesh666. Ridiculous statement, pretty sure the beatles are quite happy with their accomplishments in music production.

20. Unless you do all the drugs they did you can't even understand wtf they're talking about