Dark Souls digital only port

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by Continuum, Aug 25, 2012.

1. It's terrible.

Not that it's a terrible game, it's just a terrible port. If you're going to play with a keyboard and mouse it's damn near impossible.

My guess is that it's better with a game pad (an xbox one, or one like it, would probably be best). It's a direct port, which means zero effort was made into making it function well on a PC. There are on screen prompts for button presses at the beginning, but they're for a game pad. The mouse sensitivity is insane and even turning it down doesn't help that much. Since the mouse controls the direction of your character, it makes it really hard to control your orientation.

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up.

2. So is it a poor port because the keyboard/mouse controls are wonky? Controller is fantastic for DS anyway worth the investment.

I've heard the port was a bigger success than expected even Blight town appears to be lag free.

I'd like to know more as to why you think it was a failure or if its just the controls that are ruining it for you.

3. Is it really that bad?

I was thinking about getting it, but I have a controller I could use.

The free online alone seems like it'd be worth it... I didn't really expect them to update the graphics or really add anything.

4. They added new content to the game which I have heard is good (Releases as DLC for ps3 and xbox in october), I haven't heard too many complaints short of the keyboard/mouse controls and the inability to adjust the graphics (FROM claims they did this to keep the game on the same lvl as the console) But from what I see and hear about Blight town they ended up fixing the lag issues the consoles suffer from in there.

I really want to know how the online match making is holding up, looking forward to this for the PS3 in october!

5. #5 orenji, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2012
    The mouse cursor never goes away. You use the mouse to move the camera so the mouse cursor moving all over the fuckin place gets distracting. If you have more than one monitor you must remove them from your display settings or the mouse will move to one of them and minimize the game when you click. The game is somewhat laggy in some areas on a decent PC (overclocked q6600 4gb ram gtx 570). It uses windows live. After all of that, the number one thing that pissed me off and is the deal breaker.. AUTOSAVE DOESN'T WORK RELIABLY. I lost my entire playthrough (5 hours) after quitting through the menu. There was no prompt about saving. Bonfires are supposed to save your progress each time you use them. Every time you die there's an autosave. Somehow though, I lost everything. Fuck this port. A monkey can code better.

I never did any pvp or anything. Watching ghost people die was fun though.

Edit: Autosave works now, maybe I screwed up? The fire icon in the top right started appearing after I played again. Also, cutscenes are skippable with the button that brings up the menu. Mouse/kb controls are tolerable after a few hours.

6. ^^Loosing progress sucks I did some search's and haven't found any information about this happening to many people so no information for fixes on that yet.

Ok... Do some research if take the time you'll find lots of info to help you PC people out, its released for PC modders ARE going to pick this title up and fix it.

GameSpy: Modder Purportedly Fixes Dark Souls PC Resolution Limitations in 23 Minutes [Update] Tested! - Page 1

Dark Souls internal rendering resolution fix (DSfix) - NeoGAF

First fix already out the resolution fix, games been out a day so i'm sure more is to come.

And if anyone wants to read a good review for the PORT to PC

GameSpy: Port Authority: Dark Souls PC - Page 1

Be patient and wait for fixes if its not working well yet, they will come. The community of 100k people that spent all they're time petitioning from to bring the game to PC wont let it die that easy.

7. Ugh. That's all I needed to know.

Never again.

8. Dude it's totally worth it if you have a controller. Go to the steam forums and download the high res patch that some dude made, it's a sticky. I do agree the game is totally unplayable with a keyboard and mouse though.