the schizophrenia debate

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by steveo1136, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Good ol' antidepressants are typically SSRI's. Such drugs cause an overabundance of serotonin in the brain, and can lead to serotonin desensitivity at best, or serotonin acute toxicity at worst. I went through both at varying periods; on the same med for a while, I'd gradually fatline on the emotional scale. My doctor would give me something to enhance the action of my current med, and I'd go into serotonin toxicity. Symptoms are flushing, vomiting, and diarrhea. If your doctor doesn't get you off of the drugs, they'll kill you in days.

Now, I've always been rather sensitive to dopamine. Any med that increases its volume in my body will cause me to hallucinate.

2. Article also talks about SSRIs. They cause psycosis, dont take them....

3. Sad thing is, if a person takes a bunch of these meds while having a schizophreniform diagnosis and they don't work, they're called non-compliant.

I'm irritated by this confusion between the words correlation and causation in the psychiatric field.

4. vapes do too .

5. Originally posted by Deuro
    "and on another note, yes, marijuana may have anti-cancer properties but smoking negates those properties. smoking is bad for your health, and smoking plant matter allows carcinogens to enter your body. i read that only edibles (didn't mention vaping) will carry the anti-cancer benefit."

Thats a lie. Marijuana does have lots of anti cancer properties and smoking does not negate any healing properties of cannabis. Anticancer does not have to be subject to just "edibles" lol. You prob read that people were injesting hemp oil to cure their cancer which is also true.

6. LOL no I am not a "shrink". I was not arguing about the medication or misdiagnoses, but the fact you said mental illness doesn't exist and you can "just snap out of it".
    Can people just snap out of cancer? Can they snap out of diabetes?
    Mental illness happens when things go wrong in your brain, like too low levels of neurotransmitters or too much. It is a very real thing. But that doesn't mean there aren't people who are over diagnosed.
    We don't know everything about the brain but we do know it can be traumatized in many different ways.
    I did not read all of your article, and I don't care to because it has it's own biased agenda. I didn't see no MRI images shown anywhere neither.
    But you already have your mind made up and I am not trying to argue with you on that. All I wanted to point out was the mental illnesses exist and saying stupid things like "they can just snap out of it" is offensive to all who suffer. That is all.

Peace :wave:

7. The "just snap out of it" argument shows a small mind. If people could just "snap out of it" there would be no more mental illness. "just snap out of it" makes it like a choice. Im betting no one would choose to have a MI no matter what it is/was. This argument is offensive to those that suffer and shows the ignorance of those who do not.

8. It is important to remember that while cannabis has some incredible medicinal applications it is nor will it ever be the end all be all for any ailment. Furthermore there will always be a place for modern (non cannabis) pharmacology for the treatment of certain mental illnesses. Also, cannabis is not for everybody, if you have a strong family history of schizophrenia or other psychotic disorders smoking weed may not be advisable, should you choose to do it. For me, weed helps relieve anxiety and depression (unfortunately I live in a non-MMJ state).

9. Yes I think it can trigger it. Cause I feel like a schizo and it is in my family genes.

10. Marijuana brings out whats already there

11. #51 onkruid, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2013

OK

1. anyone that takes J.Travolta or T.Cruise seriously is just... IDK...silly I guess is a nice way to put it and should not be taken to have a valid opinion 

2. I would love to see you clinically depressed and then told to "cheer up". It's the equivalent of "Snap out of it" to a schizophrenic or bipolar person.

3. I think you need to get checked for mental illness yourself because you sound a little crazy.  Anyone that thinks mental illness isn't real is either ignorant or mentally ill themselves.

4. Your "news" article is one-sided bs.  Anyone trying to prove a valid point is not afraid of both sides of the story this article does not do that.  pointless bs.

5. Good luck and be well (at least as well as possible considering your affliction)

12. #52 nomoredoubts, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2013
    I understand where this guy is coming from to an extent, although he has worded things a little back to front.

I to believe that most mental illness is merely a byproduct of the pressures put on people through out everyday life, these issues are then exaggerated by health care professionals and the media which in turn leads to a person subconsciously convincing themselves they have all sorts of things wrong with them when in reality they have just have a common reaction to life and simply do not know how to deal with it.

Fundamentally there are two types of people, those that instantly know how to deal with life and all its pressures, these people understand how to get their head around pressure a lot quicker and easier than most and then the people that dont do so well with pressure and these people can often dwell on things, letting them snowball into a massive problem that was never their in the first place.

That being said there are a minority of people born with learning difficulties and if not handled with care these difficulties can turn into full blown mental health issues.

Its a tricky subject to say the least but I am a believer that most mental illness is all in the persons mind which brings me to the whole cannabis causes schizophrenia debate.

If someone convinces themselves enough that something will cause a mental illness then in time it will happen, the substance could be freshly squeezed orange juice or it could be cannabis it really does not matter, if you tell yourself again and again ''oh I might go mad if I drink this glass of orange juice'' then in the end you probably will go mad.

If cannabis did actually cause schizophrenia then we would know by now. The facts don't lie, the percentage for this illness is at a 1% rate of schizophrenia the world around and this stands for the past 20 years and the rate of cannabis consumption has more than quadrupled in the past 20 years, wouldn't you think that the cases of schizophrenia would increase too along with cannabis consumption, I mean that is the logical answer?

Surprise surprise there actually has been no increase in the rate of schizophrenia even with all that badly grown cannabis out there, now thats what you call a Fact!
    (Remember it if anyone tries to question cannabis, use this fun fact to educate them politely and calmly, never raise your voice and never get angry, we were all once brain washed sheep I suppose)

The fact of the matter is its more a case of people convincing themselves cannabis causes mental health problems and more to the point other people helping them along ie mental health so called professionals convincing them and of course once in the hands of these people a vicious cycle is then started, they fill them with dangerous pills and basically hope for the best.

If in doubt always return to logic, logic is your best friend in life.

Cannabis does not cause mental health problems but believing it will surly will, its important that you make a stand and believe in your self and cannabis and of course that you know better on this subject (mental health vs cannabis)

We with out a doubt the cannabis community do know better, I mean we are walking, breathing, living proof that cannabis does not cause mental health issues and most will agree as long as its used responsibly cannabis will help your mind, never harm it, but everyone has their own opinion and this is just mine, take it with a pinch of salt as you should with everything you read online.

Thanks for reading.

13. #53 ARKing005, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2013
    schizophrenia caused by cannabis is government propaganda

cannabis heals and will never cause schizophrenia.

eating man made dyes and preservatives WILL cause schizophrenia

did you know red 40, blue 1, yellow 5, ect, are all made from coal tar?? (and proven to cause cancer??!?) YUCK!!

14. OK, here's my quick take after reading some rather interesting responses in here:

There are birth defects, right? Can we agree on that?
    So just because you cannot SEE a brain defect, that means it's not there?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to cure my diabetes and crohns which are apparently a manifestation of my imagination that I need to "snap out of" because there isn't a cure, therefore, they're not diseases. Oh my...

15. #55 cball, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2013

had to tidy that up a bit for ya...