the schizophrenia debate

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by steveo1136, Aug 21, 2012.

1. So its true? My family has a history of schizo and I'm afraid b/c I do talk to myself alot when I'm high alone...am I going insane lol? Also I did experience the slow building schizo from a third person view. Last year a good friend of mine (dealer) slowly became insane and paranoid and broke in to a cop car and just came out of being treated in an asylum. He was about 2 and a half ounces a week and he doesn't remember most of his situation. I don't know if the amount you smoke is connected to it? B/c I smoke alot and I'm kinda scared haha.

2. You're friend sounds like he had another drug-induced psychotic episode, I REALLY doubt marijuana made him do those things... You gotta realize people often arnt comfortable talking about their hard-drug use. Talking too yourself is fine, normal people do it all the time... I think when you start talking in different persona's between one another that's not good.

3. Schizophrenia is the opposite of taking psychedelics.

You're tripping all the time and you USE DRUGS to be normal.

Don't listen to the media. There's no reason for stoners to view this as a curse rather than a blessing.

4. Other way around baby, those of you that beleive in it are brainwashed and ignorant.
    Mental illness is bs, and the drugs they give the "mentally ill" fuck people up even more.

Anyone can snap out of it.

Main reason mental illness is bs is cause if it were really an illness there would be a cure for it by now, yet shrinks are the biggest con artists on the planet, we havent even begun to understand how the human mind works let alone cure it if it really gets sick.

Alzeimers is a proven illness but its more physical cause the brain is actually deteriorating. But something like schizophrenia or whatever label a shrink wants to put on you today is complete bs.
    And like I said the drugs they give are even more bs.

Check out this article.

Psychiatric Drugs: Chemical Warfare on Humans - interview with Robert Whitaker

No im not a scientologist, but Travolta and Tom Cruise are right, psychiatry is BULLSHIT.

5. just my two cents if it hasnt been added. state laws say u can smoke medically not federal.

6. #26 mr man fan, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2012
    You think every schizophrenic can just "snap out of it"? lol, just lol.

7. Lol this is whats wrong with america today. Wanting things to be spoon fed instead of actually going and researching, reading, and learning on their own.

8. ... or maybe it's because i use a cellphone and id much rather have someone give me a simple answer rather than make me scroll for days. so please, take your douchebaggery elsewhere. :wave:

9. Just wondering, if you have ever seen someone go through a manic or psychotic episode?
    You know what they used to call PMS? Hysteria. But you can't prove PMS by blood tests, or a physical, or anything, but we know it exists.
    There are people who suffer from fibromyalgia, but there is not any physical test that can prove this, so it must all be in your head! right? Tell that to the people who are suffering.

And if you need proof of mental illness being real just look up MRI images of those who are mentally ill and compare them to "sane" people. You will notice much more grey matter and atrophy in the pre-frontal cortex.
    If I had more time I would tell you more, but I bet you know how to use Google so use it and learn.

10. [quote name='"steveo1136"']Before research had been done into the benefits of medical marijuana, the only real reason with any scientific evidence to steer clear of pot was it's link between schizophrenia, especially in families that have had previous experience with it. Now I didn't really pay attention to that cause might as well take some risks in life and blaze the bud while you still can. My question is, isn't the government looking a bit ''silly'', saying that marijuana can now be legalized and they're fine with patients smoking it everyday, when their once was so much 'empirical evidence' telling society to steer clear of it (the main point i'm regarding is schizophrenia)? I'm wondering if the authorities are just going to ignore all the propaganda they once spread to keep their reputation.[/quote]

It has to do with probability and genetics. Even the government studies say that people at risk, those with latent schizophrenia, are thought to have a very specific genetic mutation and it's a small number of people.

I believe it's possible. I think you've completely missed the point, too. The government propaganda exists for sure, and they say false things about marijuana such as how it will ruin your life on the same level as other drugs, but this thing could be very real.

Marijuana is RELATIVELY harmless. Big key word.

11. Lol " it's making a wall of text that i'll skip over" yeah you are lazy. go read for yourself and stop trying to be spoon fed. google is your best friend to get rid of your ignorance. pathetic.

12. Did you even read the article I posted?
    Wanna talk about MRI images? It clearly shows the brain fucked up in that article after taking anti psychotics for only 6 months......
    Yet the next picture also shows a brain but with no anti pshchotics on a supposed schizofrenic yet there were no abnormalitys in the MRI......
    Come again?
    Its ok you must be a shrink....
    You all lie.You the big pharmas all get rich.
    Do you even know who created the company Lilly who makes the most used "new nobel anti psychotic" called Zyprexa? Do you really want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes?
    LILLY WAS CREATED BY A FORMER NAZI GESTAPO BLACK MAGIC OCCULT SCIENTIST.
    THEY USED TO GIVE ALL THESE DRUGS TO THE PRISONERS IN CONCENTRATION CAMPS TO "CALM THEM" AND MAKE THEN DOCILE BEFORE THEY WERE GASSED OR BURNED!!

13. Because of your ignorant laziness others have to do research and regergitate what they already know. And yet you find it inconvient when they do all the leg work and research and all u have to do is one single click on a link and a couple of minutes of reading. No wonder you believe that cannabis smoking WILL give you cancer ... your not even willing to question what is told to you... blind ignorance is far worse than greed or propoganda... its what enables the both of those.

14. Legit sourcing or im calling sheens . Link ? anything...

15. If marijuana causes schizophrenia, why does the population of schizophrenics not go over 1% of the global population? Cannabis use has only increased in proportion over recent years, but that total percentage of schizophreniform disorders has not.

Psych meds can cause some serious damage, and I can attest to it (albeit on a personal level) because I was misdiagnosed with schizoaffective disorder and given nearly every med on the market, as their "effectiveness" was actually the direct cause of my mental state, which only strengthened the misdiagnosis.

After getting off of all psych meds, I made a miraculous recovery.

What I can say is that high amounts of THC can cause temporary psychosis. This temporary psychosis isn't schizophrenia though, because it tends to go away when you stop being high.

16. This is the main arguement of logical thinkers that easily debunk the myth that schizophrenia is caused by cannabis use. There are just as many articles that state that cannabis causes schizo while there are just as many cases where the research shows that cannabis actually help schiopherinic patients cope with their condition.

17. the whole connection between schizophrenia and marijuana may just be misinterpreted bullshit.

One of the main reasons that people who have developed schizophrenia report smoking marijuana is as a form of SELF MEDICATION and don't believe that the use of marijuana, in any way, brought on their symptoms. In fact, the case may be the exact opposite.

18. The problem is, once someone's been diagnosed as schizophrenic, people think everything they say is crazy. I ended up burning a lot of bridges as I regained my lucidity, because suddenly nothing I said could be regarded as rational.

Another problem is people are addicted to being right (dopamine is released each time a person discovers they're right), so most often people will search for information that agrees with their own views, shunning the possibility that their bias will only dig their hole deeper.

No one is safe from this conditioning, people have to actively challenge their own views to learn anything.

19. Sorry I dont have links for every bit of info I have gathered online in over 10 years....
    Google it.....

20. If you read the article I posted it talks all about Dopamine....
    Anti psycotics tend to block dopamine in the brain, because according to shrinks "schizofrenics have an over active dopamine system" which is pure bullshit. And when you take the drug you are indeed causing a dopamine imbalance. Its blocked so the brain adjusts and creates more receptors cause its not getting any dopamine, hence if you stop taking the drug, the sudden rush of dopamine with all those receptors CANT HANDLE IT. ANd you will be worse off without the drug then before you started taking it. The article will explain more in detail.