Defoliation for yeild?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by striker1, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Yes TR, it's my guide and the original that I started learning about this from. I was also fortunate to have had the op of that thread visit me and offered some personal guidance and show me a few things to benefit my growing experience and add a lot to my own knowledge base. He really helped me a ton and that's the thread I always suggest others to use as their main introduction to this technique.

2. Should i do any trimming on this baby? If so, how and where do i trim?

ForumRunner_20120921_101258.png

ForumRunner_20120921_101321.png

3. #123 TokeRippa, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2012
    [quote name='"Bassman59"']Yes TR, it's my guide and the original that I started learning about this from. I was also fortunate to have had the op of that thread visit me and offered some personal guidance and show me a few things to benefit my growing experience and add a lot to my own knowledge base. He really helped me a ton and that's the thread I always suggest others to use as their main introduction to this technique.[/quote]

Oh snap, awesome thread. It definitely helped me better understand things.

4. No I'm not the original in that thread. I said I use it and the original has been to my grow and guided me.

5. I defer you to the link tokerippa posted on the previous page.

6. [quote name='"Bassman59"']No I'm not the original in that thread. I said I use it and the original has been to my grow and guided me.[/quote]

Got it.

7. :wave: OMG those are nice. Excellant job.

8. This is 6 days after the second defoliation in veg. Obviously they didnt seam to mind one bit.

Attached Files:

9. [quote name='"Bassman59"']This is 6 days after the second defoliation in veg. Obviously they didnt seam to mind one bit.[/quote]

Amazing! But what, exactly, did that achieve? I mean if you hadn't done that what would be the situation of the foliage versus what you see now?

10. Good questions TR.

1. They would have been taller and lankier which is not what I personally want indoors. I want short and fat. I can get light to all the plant top to bottom if short and fat. But if they get over about 30" tall, a 1000w hps doesn't deliver much to the bottom of the plant. But if I could make it wide, and short I can actually get many more lumen to those same branches.

2. The smaller or tiny stuff down below gets some good light and starts growing more and becomes more viable as a real bud producer instead of being a chopped off lollypop branch.

3. During each defoliation in veg, they slow down the lanky growth and produce new nodes, closer together and faster. Like a "oh shit the deer got me, better make a couple branches and spit some new leaves out fast" if ya git my drift.

4. It's during this time I begin bending to shape the girls. Turning and twisting branches 90 degrees this way or that to open them up for this wide shape for top to bottom light penetration. Having hardly any leaves on the girls, one gets a better picture of the structure and it's tons easier to see what and where to bend.

11. [quote name='"Bassman59"']

Good questions TR.

1. They would have been taller and lankier which is not what I personally want indoors. I want short and fat. I can get light to all the plant top to bottom if short and fat. But if they get over about 30" tall, a 1000w hps doesn't deliver much to the bottom of the plant. But if I could make it wide, and short I can actually get many more lumen to those same branches.

2. The smaller or tiny stuff down below gets some good light and starts growing more and becomes more viable as a real bud producer instead of being a chopped off lollypop branch.

3. During each defoliation in veg, they slow down the lanky growth and produce new nodes, closer together and faster. Like a "oh shit the deer got me, better make a couple branches and spit some new leaves out fast" if ya git my drift.

4. It's during this time I begin bending to shape the girls. Turning and twisting branches 90 degrees this way or that to open them up for this wide shape for top to bottom light penetration. Having hardly any leaves on the girls, one gets a better picture of the structure and it's tons easier to see what and where to bend.[/quote]

What a great response!

I am currently doing a scrog in my 3by3 and it is crowded! They are shooting up and I already have the lights raised as far as they can go. Id love the ability of keeping them small and bushy so that im not waisting all of the smaller branches that are currently being shaded by the scrog canopy. Next round I am going to give this a go.

I cant get over how quickly your plants respond and how healthy they look. Keep it up bassman.

12. It's dried and in the jars curing. My yield is about 5.5oz, About 30% better than the last 2 grows in the same conditions. So my opinion is that defoliation increases yield.Thanks for all the input on this thread... Oh and its Killer, I guess that's why they call it Jack the Ripper.

Attached Files:

13. [quote name='"striker1"']It's dried and in the jars curing. My yield is about 5.5oz, About 30% better than the last 2 grows in the same conditions. So my opinion is that defoliation increases yield.Thanks for all the input on this thread... Oh and its Killer, I guess that's why they call it Jack the Ripper.[/quote]

Pics are way out of focus

14. I finished chop on 1 plant last nite. Defoliation started in veg. My wet trimmed weight was 1160 grams. Dry she'll yield between 10.2-12.2 oz is my guesstimate.

Not bad considering I let them get too damn tall in veg and when they stretched to 3-4" below the 1k hps I had little room to bend for width. 2 girls just flat pushed 2 others out of the way practically. I think I'll end up right about 2#'s for this 4 plant grow. Hard to say right now though. Maybe less. I can't complain.

15. Sorry I'm not a photographer.

16. I am currently running an experiment with 8 clones i took into early flower. I stripped the fan leaves from one. While they all vary in height as I am contucting a stretching experiment on a couple as well. (Back on topic) the defoliated plants stalk is about 3 times larger than the rest. IDK what that means. Just thought i'd share.

Sent from my ADR6400L using GC Forum

17. i have been doing this myself. looked up who if any others and found keef treez. was the guy who started it 30 years experience ect. makes sence though with animal attacks being something that happens quiet often. seems perfectly natural that they would recover with a vigor.probly feel a new lease on life almost dieing and what not lol. unless something is wrong otherwise or it was just too severe but could it raise thc content considering they release hormones and all that other good stuff to make the animal go away or trip out which ever lol that would be something to test right there ??

18. [SIZE=10pt]I [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]aggressively & intensively defoliate throughout the plant's life to expose[/SIZE] shaded growth areas to all the light possible. It encourages explosive internodal growth! I HAD a control plant, but it was lagging so far behind that I defoliated it, as well.

[SIZE=10pt]I don't really know all of the Deep Horticultural/Biological ‘Why's & How's' of defoliating's effectiveness, but I do know that, with very few exceptions, it has always paid off for me - even outdoors, where it is REALLY not recommended. Who knows? ... maybe I'm the Real Jack the Stripper or Budward Scissorshands ... or even the infamous Bilderberg-er infiltrator Agent Orange ... ad nauseum. :metal:[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]The Super-Specialized strain which I'm growing is ... [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]BrickWeed-BagSeed[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt], so I feel free to experiment at will – even intentionally torturing some of them to death (always at least [3] seedlings from the same bag are trained the same to see if it's the ‘strain' or the individual plant which can't take it – yeah, I know - brickweed-bagseed; don't know how many strains of males pollinated the buds in the bag, unknown genetic lineage, etc.). That's why the weak & unreliable will be subjected to their proper Darwinian fate.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]A lil' proof - these girls are 21 days into bloom, & look at all the blossoming bud-sites, tight internodes, etc. ... I made (2) a ‘Spider Plants' – lots ‘O legs & (2) big antennae! [/SIZE]

View attachment 143197
    View attachment 143196
    View attachment 143195
    View attachment 143194
    View attachment 143193
    View attachment 143188
    View attachment 143189
    View attachment 143190
    View attachment 143191
    View attachment 143192
    View attachment 143185
    View attachment 143186
    View attachment 143187

19. #140 Rumpleforeskin, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2014
    I gave the same answer in another thread:

Taking fan leaves off is like spraying club soda on your plants for CO2; sounds good but few good growers do it. The good news is your plant will grow despite bad practices.

The only time you should trim fan leaves is after harvest. The plant does not grow them for no reason:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYq7CuVpAeo

The only proof I see from any of the above pictures is reason not to take leaves. The yield suffers as your plant heals. look at it.