problems with cloning

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by 420smurfette, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Ok so I've been tryin to attempt to start clonin some of the better strains I got....I don't understand what I'm doin wrong....but its not going well.....this is what I've been doin....
    Cut stem I want to clone them RIGHT AWAY stick in water....
    Let sit for 5 minutes
    Cut stem at an angle UNDER water
    Again let sit for a couple minutes
    with finger nail I scrape the stem that will be placed in dirt
    Put heavy coat of rooting gel on part that will be in soil
    Then put in damp soil not givin too much water (as I heard if you keep it drier is will search for more moisture hence getting the roots to grow faster....
    Then I put under my 18/6 light cycle

Why is this not working???

2. whats your humidity like?

3. I have no idea. It sounds right to me, but it's not working, huh? I just didn't want to add to the "Views with no comment or solution" group, ya know? :D

4. Maybe try scraping w a sterile razor. Maybe the fingernail is contaminating it.

5. Humidity is fluctuating between 75 and 80%

6. That could be it ganja....even tho I wash them before I handle them u can't fight everythin off.....

7. [quote name='"420smurfette"']Ok so I've been tryin to attempt to start clonin some of the better strains I got....I don't understand what I'm doin wrong....but its not going well.....this is what I've been doin....
    Cut stem I want to clone them RIGHT AWAY stick in water....
    Let sit for 5 minutes
    Cut stem at an angle UNDER water
    Again let sit for a couple minutes
    with finger nail I scrape the stem that will be placed in dirt
    Then put in damp soil not givin too much water (as I heard if you keep it drier is will search for more moisture hence getting the roots to grow faster....

Why is this not working???[/quote]

So do u dip the stem in the gel first or just pour it into the dirt.
    Also with clones u want to keep them
    As wet as possible until they develop roots. I have a feeling yours are drying out and dying and that is y its not working for u.
    I was 16/18 on taking my clones last month. Also u should look into rock wool cubes. It's hold the moister in better.

8. Ok so just try keepin it moister? I never let them get totally dry......I give them just barelry enuff.....I guess I will try watering them more.....
    It is weird cause a couple of them are just hangin on for life or something.....have not grown at all (after 2 weeks) but is still green not dying but at the same time not doin anythin lol

9. Have you tried a moisture dome? An icee cup lid with a light misting of condensation on the dome (or something similar) will help keep humidity around your fragile clone and help it root.

10. [quote name='"dawill1967"']Have you tried a moisture dome? An icee cup lid with a light misting of condensation on the dome (or something similar) will help keep humidity around your fragile clone and help it root.[/quote]

If you are not using a clone dome or something similar. That is probably the problem. Cut a 2 L bottle in half and use that.

11. if you keep having problems buy some rapid rooters and a humidity dome. its pretty much fool proof. what kind of light do you have on them?

12. Oh wow...ok so next question......do u water it also...how often would u spray it? It shouldn't be completely closed correct? Keeping just the top open or also making holes on the sides?

13. And what is rapid rooters?

14. Get one of those huge plastic tubs from walmart (like 10-15 gallons or so). Cut your clones at about 6 inches, right below a node, then cut it at a 45 degree angle right at the node point. Dip the clone into the rooting gel immediatley, you dont have to let it soak, you can even just spray water onto the tip. Get plastic cups, and cut several SLITS into the sides and bottom, and fill it 3/4 of the way to the top with potting soil. SOAK the hell out of the soil in the cup, because you WILL NOT water them again for about 2 weeks. Just put the stem of the clone into the soil deep enough to keep it supported. Do this with individual cups for each clone. Put the top of the clear plastic tub upside down, and make rows of the cups on top of it. Get a spray bottle, and mist the plants, and the inside opf the tub itself, then put the tub over top of the clones. This will make a VERY humid enviroment, which is what the clones need to strive. Who ever told you to make it dry is stupid, it doesn't have roots, so it won't survive. Do not water the soil again, just mist the plants and the tub. The light given to the plants should be limited, this is what causes the plants to root in search of nutrients. After about two weeks, maybe more or less, the clones will root. Transplant into the FINAL growing medium, and vwala!

Out of 20 clones, you should only loose 1 or 2, if that, if done properally.

15. Oh, sorry, to answer your question, mist the plants in the morning and at night, about every 12 hours. COMPLETELY close off the humidity dome, otherwise the humid air will escape.

16. when cloning the medium should never be allowed to completely dry. only when you know it has rooted should you let it dry a bit so the roots will search for moisture. i keep my dome completly closed but i open the top to spray the dome and let fresh air in a few times a day. after about 4 or 5 days you can take the dome off or open the holes if you want.