Collab The Art of Collaboration - Germ X Sling

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by MissSpliffstein, Aug 10, 2012.

1. By: The Glass Otaku

Among the best of collaborations between two awesome glass artists is the continued work of Germ (Jeremy Grant-Levine) and Sling (Adam Golbert). Both of these artists bring their own style to the table and they often throw down some type of mighty impressive mix between Sling's carving techniques and Germ's colorful, clean, curvy pipe-sculpting. Over the years the two have released some classic creations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sometimes it's nice to dig a couple years deep into glass history, and that's exactly how I found this Germ/Marble Slinger collab. The body is reminiscent of Germ while Sling left his mark in classic stenciling all over the place. Even the bottom.

[​IMG]

The smooth and deep amber gives the thick feeling that seems to be common throughout Germ's art. Similarly, Sling's orange sandblasted areas give the background for his stenciling. As if leaving his actual name on the piece wasn't a clear enough indicator, the piece screams Sling with the Morton salt homage smack dab on the front.
    This bubbler is somewhat unique for the fact that the carb stems off of the main chamber as opposed to being built directly in. Overall, these two glasscrafters have sculpted a fine, angled bubbler. It's nice to see how Germ and Sling have developed in these last few years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This later collab between the two (May 2012), titled Smells Like Teen Spirit, clearly lends itself to both of their styles as well. It's also clear that the two developed in their working together, as seen by slight improvements or innovations in their complementing of one another. This tube is straight-up triumphant. The detailed etch-work done on Sling's part is immaculate, and the overall sculpting on the tube's curves is pretty damn clean as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's an even later piece from their collaborative collection. This Direct Inject bubbler in Kenzo Green/Unobtanium meets the already highly-set bar for these two. Its dark style definitely reminds us a bit more of Germ's work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's rare that artists etch their moniker right into a piece in such a pronounced way, but then again Sling is known his for blatantly recognizable references to pop culture, and these two names have become just that recognizable in the glass world. Looking at all these collaborations now, it's interesting to compare them and find what has changed and stayed the same. Any Germ/Sling collaboration is sure to turn heads among glass enthusiasts. Rare and beautiful, these two artistic styles complement one another very well when put together in pieces like these. The art of collaboration is a beautiful one, and it gives pipes more character. Just knowing the time and work that went into these and the fact that it was done by two of the best in the industry makes these pipes incredibly valuable and gives them a unique story. Keep that in mind next time you see a one-of-a-kind piece for sale that's been crafted by skilled artists like these. When it comes to glass art, there's always more than meets the eye.

2. Holy balls.

That's beautiful.

3. sweeet! great article and pics.

4. im dont think i would even smoke outta those.

5. dude that green/black one on the bottom, is an AMAZING piece
    is it a one time collab or is there some that would be available for purchase at some point?

6. That Smells Like Teen Spirit tiger bong is probably one of the coolest pieces I've ever seen. If I had it I don't think I'd let anyone else use it, if it got broken by someone I'd have to take drastic measures. One day I hope to make enough to buy something like that.

7. or learn to make that shit. thats what i wanna do. then if you get good you could live off bongs:bongin:

8. True, and that would be a sick way to make a living, but the cost of the equipment needed to make pieces like those (kiln, sandblaster, torch, materials, and various other tools) far outweigh just the single bong.

9. ^and though i once thought of becoming a glassblower, its not the richest proffession from my understanding and ive found other passions that occupy my time so one may rather make money doing what they love and buying then spending time creating somethign themsleves:)

10. Yeah that's how I feel, unless you are really good and churn out a lot of pieces it's not the easiest thing. Who knows though, maybe one day I'll have enough to just get some lower tier equipment and make pipes and bowls and other small stuff for a hobby and a little extra money.

11. #11 OweKnowsBest_4.23, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2012
    in that community you have to be really good to get the money back from the equipment but i do a lot of odd jobs that pay well so i can get the equipment pretty easy. the problem comes in at experience. like most things in life you need a lot of it to even think about making a profit unless youre a dealer(but talk of that isnt aloud here). Add the fact that most of the people selling bongs that are making real money have big names in the industry. you can conclude that the only way to make hella cash is to basically practice all the time and maybe get an apprenticeship somewhere and hope your name gets around. If by some stroke of luck however slim it is you make it you could live off bongs:bongin:

12. I feel like it would be a sin NOT to smoke out of those.

I would LOVE to be able to make my own pieces one day. I enjoy glass, it is my preferred method of ingestion (normally my only method).

13. these are SO BEAUTIFUL

... i LOVE the SLTS-tube and their latest Direct Inject bubbler. I want to see that irl!

now here is something worthy to add to my wishlist :D

14. Quick Fact: While at the recent trade shows I was given the opportunity to ask Germ and Slinger the reason behind the misspelling on the first bubbler you see with the inscription "Jerm" on it. Slinger explained that since that particular piece was one of their first collaborations Slinger did, so when he went to make the stencils Slinger spelt out "Jerm" since Germ's name is Jeremy.

15. Damn man... just don't see people put that kinda craftsmanship and effort into their work nowadays. That carving is so elaborate on the smells like teen spirit tube.

Edit: Straight up that is one of the dopest pieces if not the dopest piece I have ever seen.

16. I would have to treat that better than my car before I would ever smoke out of it

17. Fucking a man, sling kills his shit!!!

18. Better delete that