First and foremost, I do not have cancer (that I am aware of) or any other "serious" condition. I have been studying hemp oil and its benefits for some time now and decided I would try to make it and see what kind of effect it would have on the conditions I do have.
A background on the medical issues I do have: I have severe back/body pains. The doctor suspects fibromyalgia, but we are still waiting for test results etc so it isnt official yet. For arguments sake we will just call it severe pain (this is the reason I got my pink slip to begin with). I also have intestinal issues (wont go into detail, but lots of pain, bowel issues, bleeding etc) which I am also waiting to hear back from tests, it could also be related to the fibro, so I hear. I also have severe depression/anxiety (I have been dealing with that with cannabis for years and it has done wonders, much more than any meds I took for it. I have come to terms with a lot of things and whatnot and feel like my depression/anxiety has subsided dramatically. I still get my down days and get anxious now and then but nothing like I used to). I am mostly going to take the oil to stay in good health, as well as treat those few things.
I have only made the oil a couple times, once I used raw bud and the most recent time I used abv I was saving up. I decided to use 99%iso as my solvent as I feel it is the safest. I hadn't planned on making this thread so I didnt take any pics along the way, but I will outline my process and then update the thread with pics on my next batch. (currently awaiting Health Canada to approve my grower so that I can get plant material for true compassionate prices, instead of the so called "compassion clubs" I have dealt with).
Here are the materials you will need:
1) Plant material(I used abv recently so it was already decarbed. I dont use heat with my method so decarbing should be done first.)
2) 99% iso alcohol (I used just enough to cover what little bud I had, but a general rule of thumb is 500ml/oz of flowers)
3) Mason jar
4) Coffee filter/very fine strainer
5) Glass baking dish/bowl/plate
Here is the process I use:
1) Put your bud in the mason jar. Dont grind it, break it up a bit. It should be decarbed at this point and very dry. This is very important!
2)Cover bud in iso, just enough to cover and then a wee bit. Reference:500ml/oz of bud
3) Shake the shit out of the mason jar. Make sure it is covered, of course. Shake for 3-5 mins.
4) Strain into glass container. Pour the mixture from the mason jar into the coffee filter and drain into glass containter. Squeeze bud to drain liquid soaked into said bud. Some people save this bud and do a second round with it. I do not, the choice is yours, it will be less effective
5) Leave sit to evaporate. This can vary in time depending on location of the dish, amount of iso used etc. A fan can be pointed towards the dish to speed up the process, but is not necessary. Make sure the fan isn't blowing the fumes towards any heat sources or enclosed areas
The attached pic is what you should be left with when the iso evaps (note:There was a tiny bit of iso left at the time of this pic)
Once all the iso evaporates, stick the glass dish in the freezer for an hour or so. This will make it easier to round up the super sticky grease-like oil (The sticky part got me thinking of adding a little flour to make it easier to handle. Since this product is meant to be taken orally, not by way of inhalation, I don't think the flour would be a bad idea, but have yet to try it.)
At this point, you can take as small or large of a dose as your heart desires. The higher the dose, the more you will feel it.. be forewarned. Since I dont have cancer to combat, I just take a couple rice sized pieces a couple times a day, as needed.
Feel free to comment, ask questions, voice concerns, share stories etc. I will update periodically with results and a step by step tutorial with pics. I would really like to hear from others who use hemp oil, or beginners just starting to use the oil like myself.
Edited by PaulKemp420, 07 August 2012 - 01:23 PM.