Dealing with the insignificance and meaningless of life

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by sagankushking42, Jul 30, 2012.

1. How does learning the truth change anything?

Do what you want. Nothing changed

-yuri

2. I feel as though sadness due to feeling life feeling as though it lacks meaning is due to lacking spiritual insight. The knowledge of the Self and its contentedness with all things. When you are aware of this connection, and are feeling it. You cannot feel sad, alone, or worthless. And indeed you aren't. My advice is to seek whats real. If we come in to this world with no belongings, and leave with no belongings, what do we take with us?

3. #23 Tokesmith, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2014
    Meaningless doesn't have to be a bad thing.

If there was a meaning, one would have to be striving for that meaning. Everything else becomes meaningless.

Without meaning one can do what they please. This gives meaning to all the things people do. So what's left in a meaningless world? Finding your own.

4. #24 zackw419, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    wise words^ 

and be happy for Christ sake :)

even if there was a god who said "life is meaningless, you all suck"

it would still be worth it to seek happiness :)

5. Like others have said before meaningless doesn't necessarily mean a bad thing. The idea of being just a small meaningless speck, a cog in the giant wheel if you will, is that it's kind of freeing. You realize that all you can do is give your best effort and reap the rewards of life. I try to take kind of a stoic approach. What's the point in getting too upset about things I can't control In my life. Basically meaning is overrated. Look for what makes you happy, fulfills your life, and challenges you to be a better person. Life is about trying to squeeze personal meaning out of what is seemingly a meaningless existence. Just live your life and try to be a good person and find what makes you happy. Meaning will come from those things. A

6. #27 2000PoundsofReggie, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2014

Meaningless is a bad thing.

To be clear, to have "one" meaning in life is not to disdain and negate other activities or ends, rather, it helps a person to CONSCIOUSLY put, as they say, things into perspective; and by allowing that person to responsibly, and maturely, arrange ([SIZE=14.2857141494751px]by degrees) [/SIZE]how much and, more importantly, how deep, a plurality of things mean to them.

For example, a man claims that his main purpose in life is to be a good son to his aging mother; now, does such an affirmed disposition lead to that person neglecting and disdaining everything else in life (is everything else automatically rendered "meaningless")? No, because such a person may still go out with his friends on occasion, and he still smokes from time to time, and he may also spend some time with a lady friend (or he may seek to actualize any other personal appetitions); but, still, all of these things, all of these various recreational activities, are not what saturate his life with true meaning, so they remain ancillary to the primary thing giving meaning to his life, that is to say, the other things are trumped by one single vocation (and, such a set-up is, if I may say so my self, how one of the most important attributes of a human being becomes cultivated, i.e., character is cultivated by culpably determining one's priorities for your self and at your own discretion).

To seek out, or juggle, in life, a plethora of meanings, or ends, or [SIZE=14.2857141494751px]appetitions[/SIZE], is strenuous and encumbering and, at the end of the day, devitalizing; for in a world of addling plurality and chaos, the only thing which is worth tending to, in a purposeful way, is the ameliorating of the heart.

"Purity of the heart is to will one thing" - Soren Kierkegaard