Grow tent vs Wattage on MH/HPS

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by azcactus, Jul 27, 2012.

1. If my grow tent is 2'x 4' x 5' will a 400 watt HP/MHS system like this on ebay for $155 free shipping be a sufficient enough light for a 3 bucket grow? Reply only please if you have actual knowledge. I don't need an "I think." I already think it will, but need your input. Are grow tents and light kits from ebay any good?

400w 400 watt HPS MH Grow Light System Set Premium Kit Dimm Green House - iPower
    Wing Reflector / Cool Tube / Air Cool Hood.

2. It will work, but is slightly out of the optimum range of a 400w on the side(s). 400w really only covers 2 x 2 to 3 x 3, and wont spread well across 4ft. Keep them all as close as you can without blocking light from one another, maybe scrog them towards the center or vertical and you should be fine. My first grow was in a 4 x 2 closet with 3 plants and the plants did decent but there wasn't a lot of free space. A lot of how much light and space is needed depends as much on how large you plan to grow them as anything.

3. So do you think going to 600 W would cover it all ok?

4. [quote name='"azcactus"']So do you think going to 600 W would cover it all ok?[/quote]

That is what I would go with personally as long as you can keep heat under control. Hid lights get pretty hot so plan on needing a cooled hood and good inline exhaust fan.

Maybe even look into an adjustable 600w ballast then if you want you can cut it down to 75% or 50% power.

5. #5 azcactus, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2012
    So what about a 4 tube T5 set up that is 2' long? Would that direct enough light at 3 plants you think?

6. Check around. There are 600w dimmable from apollo available for 140-170 on amazon as well. That's what I went with and am doing 4 plants in 4x4.

7. [quote name='"azcactus"']So what about a 4 tube T5 set up that is 2' long? Would that direct enough light at 3 plants you think?[/quote]

Not in my opinion. Some people love t5 lights, but they just don't compare to hid lighting in terms of output per Watt.

8. 600w ipower mh/Hps is what I run..

Heat might be an issue but as long as you keep the air moving I think it'll be fine...

9. would a 1000 watt bulb with a fan still be too hot? Or a 400 and a 250 watt hps system be the better avenue?

10. I think 400 watt is just fine for that space, the left over room on the sides of tent will hold fans, rez's, control units, CO2 and such.

or later, if you dont use that space, simply spend the 75 bucks on a light mover and use the whole space.

11. T5`s are great to a certain point. For seedlings, clones and short term veg growth they work great but once plants get around 2.5-3 feet or taller the lower growth will start to suffer from the lack of light penetration. I have a 100 watt 2X2 4 bulb T5 grow light I use for seedlings and small clones I also have a 452 watt 8 bulb 2X4 grow light that I use for short term vegging and a mother plant. For flowering they go under the 1k HPS light to finish out.

12. [quote name='"tplat"']

T5`s are great to a certain point. For seedlings, clones and short term veg growth they work great but once plants get around 2.5-3 feet or taller the lower growth will start to suffer from the lack of light penetration. I have a 100 watt 2X2 4 bulb T5 grow light I use for seedlings and small clones I also have a 452 watt 8 bulb 2X4 grow light that I use for short term vegging and a mother plant. For flowering they go under the 1k HPS light to finish out.[/quote]

Sure they will work. I just prefer only having to use one light and grow area. The power difference is nominal to me and the seedlings grow quite quickly under 600w. They make more sense if maintaining mothers or a sepeeate veg or clone area. They just aren't worth it to me to purchase new lights I am only going to use a few weeks out if each grow when the light I have puts out more lumens.