All The Best Opinions On Curing For taste.

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by SkunkPatronus, Jul 26, 2012.

1. #41 SkunkPatronus, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2012
    I Might totally try that humidor idea. Where'd the poster go? I can't rep a removed post. That was a sweet fucking idea!

Cigars are kept with with an unvarying degree of humidity in order to kept eh cigars flavourful, and evenly burning...might be a pot related idea here!

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Hey, can I come over then try it out :)
    I want one now....

3. #43 SkunkPatronus, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2012
    Cops at the door and me and 6 roomies moving plants all over the fuck...one got left in a shed for 2 weeks...it died. Don't remember what it smoked like. Interesting idea.

I need to make a wooden curing house!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I knew we started this thread for a reason!

4. The idea is slow curing, not no-curing. You don't jar it till it's done...but the process to get there seems to be more controllable than we previously thought.

Don't jar wet weed. Pull it all out and clean the jar, and get some air on the mold you found. Slow curing is many more days on the rack, not wet weed in the jar. Don't jar it till it's done, it will just have more oils in the buds and more flavour.

Keep an eye on it.

5. No they where still hanging but it looks like spiderwebbs i cut it out but still concerned im just now putting a fan @ an angle away from the weed to ventilate and later today will brown bag it, but i know from experience that the brown bag option really kills the taste and smell, but fuck it im still looking to smoke them shits!:smoke:

6. a chest size humidor would be key, you really got me wanting one now, think about it, humidity control to the max, slow ass dry... adjust humidity according to dryness as you go, you couldnt beat it could you?

lol :wave::smoke:

I am all about taste and quality, I hate shit tasting nugs no mater how baked you get

• Like Like x 1
  7. Perhaps a cedar chest though they can be quite expensive.

I reckon some red cedar from the big box store - fence planks - might work for a rough finish or take 'em somewhere local and have a retired old man working in his wood shop run 'em through his planer for a few bucks. Beautiful wood following planing .

8. When I was a kid Dad made Mom a (red) cedar closet down in the cellar - tongue and groove - for clothes, winter jackets, etc.

I can still smell it - red cedar & mothballs.

J

• Like Like x 1
  9. I WANT!!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzO5BuVcm0U]Cannabis Marijuana Humidor... Cann'idor from, Bud Bar Displa - YouTube[/ame]

10. sweet cannidor :D

but why lights inside, light degrades thc

11. yea not sure what he was thinking...would be nice if there is a on/off switch for the lights.

12. [​IMG]

$1480 ... no bueno ;/

13. It has lights on it because it is a display case that would be used in a coffehouse or dispensary. Its for show. Pretty cool though.

Something that hasnt been discussed yet is what level of humidity do you dry at. I read a poster ealier that said 62.5% Is that for the beginning of the drying phase? Does the humidity stay at the same level consistanly or does it change as the days go on. Is there a different humidity for drying as there is for curing. At what humidity do you have to start worrying about mold?

Im cheap, so Im gonna play around with some DIY methods before buying a humidifier. Ive got a wood box with an inline fan to create a negative air pressure. I will play with it and see what the humidity is when the fan is running 100% of the time, then I can adjust it by putting it on a timer to only run for 2 minutes every 10 minutes. Or I could put it on a fan speed controller and slow it down until my hygrometer reads the right humidity. If I need to add humidity Im thinking a bowl of water on top of my seedling heat mat ought to do the trick.

14. with a color effects lighting remote even, wooooooooooooo gota get me one now! pretty lights

15. That is an excellent question man! Wasn't even on my radar screen but it's so important. IDK what the "best" humidity is. I'd imagine whatever is recomended for ... cigars? pipe tobacco ? ... IDK.

16. My method is to aim for the first three days of hanging at 50-55% and 68-70F...goal being to get the buds headed towards pretty dry before lowering the temps to 65F or so, letting RH go 55-60% and taking them off the stem for the last 7-10 days of drying. Then I put them in the jars, if and only if the remaining stems crack cleanly. I almost always vape rather than smoke--well, I will roll joints out of leftover ground up bud that I didn't get around to vaping--and I want to pull the nuglets off the bud and have it feel like dry leather (with a lot of crystals). :D I have read that once you get the bud itself below 50% humidity there is little worry about mold.

A lot of the best terpenes volatilize right at room temperature, so you'd rather always keep it below 70F, but it will also mold much easier if it's cool and humid. I guess if I had the ultimate drying setup I would try to keep it always cooler and more like 45-50% RH early, but I can't control my space that well.

That is how I have done it after trimming all the fans and some sugar leaves off first--not sure how I'd change that if I were leaving all the leaves on. I guess I'd want the ambient RH down more like to 50% or lower--very hard to achieve in the southeast summer, where it's usually 70% or more outside.

By the way, I think the ultimate dryer would be a lab desiccator, like a vacuum desiccator, such as people use for camera lens storage and other sensitive electronics--rather than a cigar humidor. Just dial in the conditions you want. I looked at some surplus ones on ebay that didn't have the control systems, but they still looked too small and pricey for me.

For long term storage I use food grade vacuum bags filled with Nitrogen so the vacuum doesn't crush the buds. Same as the food industry. :smoke:

17. Cigar Humidors are kept at 70%. However, Those are already dried, cured, and rolled. The 70% is for staying fresh for long periods of time. We are expecting them to dry, so yeh, what Marapa said.

18. if possible i would started dry'r and slowly work your way to that 70% mark maybe, being totaly dried and cured by the time your nearing 70%

19. [quote name='"Marapa"']
    For long term storage I use food grade vacuum bags filled with Nitrogen so the vacuum doesn't crush the buds. Same as the food industry. :smoke:[/quote]

Marapa could you please elaborate on this I'm so curious.

20. Sure. With some higher-end vacuum sealers (higher end than the home versions like foodsavers) you can pull a vacuum (take all the air out) and then replace the air with an inert gas, like nitrogen. Then when the machine seals the vacuum bag, it doesn't compress the product (bud, chips, whatever) because the gas keeps the bag more or less full--only full of nitrogen, not air. So there is little or no further oxidation. In theory the product stays good for a long long time. I sure hope so, I plan to sneak a whole bunch of these bags into that assisted living facility some day :rolleyes:

Here's some discussion of the general topic on wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modified_atmosphere

SkunkP has noted that jars do a pretty good job of long term storage, and I bet that's true. But I have read many people saying that bud they kept in jars for more than six months definitely kept changing and aging, and I think that's true for the few one year+ jars I have around. So I am hoping this gas flush (technically I guess I use "compensated vacuum") method gives a dried flower that stays stable for the long term...

Here's a youtube of a guy demonstrating the method with some sort of food bag...kinda funny because he clearly doesn't know exactly what he's doing

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUXLbPDFcvE]Gas Flush Vacuum Packing, Sammic SV-310S Modified Atmospher in a Commercial Chamber Machine - YouTube[/ame]