Saxo 10-arm Bubbler

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by BigDaddyVapor, Jul 26, 2012.

1. #1 BigDaddyVapor, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
    Wow, did not expect my Saxo bubbler, this fast. From Amsterdam to CA in a day short of 2 weeks. Must have just blown thru customs.

Here's the link to what I bought: Black Leaf - Saxo Glass Bubbler

Was packaged well, looked just like every Youtube video of GC unboxing. I could tell it was packaged well, just by holding the box and no rattles :D

So my impression of this version of Chinese HQ glass.

Holy vapor volume, Batman. This thing is a LOT bigger than it looks. I had concern about it, but when I saw a friend's video... it didn't look this big!? They say the camera adds 10-15 lbs. My ass, it does!

Big, it is. Yes, however... I "fogged" it up with my MFLB. Well, kinda like skim milk. But there was a cloud of vapor and @#$%, it hit like a truck. Whatever you want to say about Black Leaf (and I honestly think they're not entirely truthful about 5mm glass.... psh), the 10-arm on this, fires perfect. Absolutely perfect. 1st set of cuts start to fire on the pull, go to clear and its like blast off. I liked the way they reinforced the arms to. Instead of little glass welds, they inserted a tube between them. The percs rest up against/around it and it holds them SOLID. BTW, NO... this tube, is NOT in the vapor path. Zero glug, from this piece.

If you look at it, from the top... the Dewarr is offset center, ever so slightly. Which when I noticed, I shit my pants, because I knew the downstem was going to lean, or be off-center by a huge amount. Looked at it again and no. The arm is close to straight as you can be, without being absolutely straight. It bends ever so slightly, so at the bottom, it actually ends up centered. You won't notice looking straight on... have to look from the top. So no complaint there. It looks more like the opening shifted, yet the joint stayed in place. Slide (whip adaptor) slides in and out, just fine.

No marks on the glass, every time I thought I found a blemish, it was a sticker smudge. Haven't found any bubbles in the glass yet. The glass is clean and solid enough, even with my doubts about it being 5mm. The base, I think adds to the perception of it being BIG. The base itself is massive. I won't be adding any attachments (besides a whip adapter), but you could certainly stack the piece, twice its height, without any problem.

Just getting some vapor hits in now. One thing I noticed, which I really like... is this piece is one of the most forgiving pieces, I've used with different water levels. On almost ALL my pieces, I typically run no more than 1/4" above the perc... and that's pushing it. I did the same with the Saxo and no drag. So much NO drag (oxymoron, I know)... I actually wanted some. I'm at about 1/2", maybe 3/4" above now... and the drag is perfect and its a LOT easier to watch my vapor and gauge hits now. Plus, it hits even harder than the previous truck, I claimed. Really liking this piece. Will be awesome with my HI when I get it.

Pictures and maybe a video... might not be until tomorrow though.

2. dude how do you milk a MFLB, I need to learn how people get these huge hits from them

3. Depends on the size of the piece. Lower temps help, so you need a PA. The most important, again... is the grind. You want as much surface area, touching the inside of the trench for max vapor. Set my PA about 35-40% power, give it about 5 seconds on the warm up and start a slow pull. He should see vapor right away. Try and keep that pull going, by altering your pull speed to slow down, or speed up the process. After you get that, you'll find where you don't have to work that hard for it. It just become habit.

4. i dont have a power adapter:/

5. #5 BigDaddyVapor, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
    Its a little harder w/o the PA. It really is a BIG upgrade to the box and opens up a lot of different techniques and efficiency.

My own experience with even 2400mAh batteries, is they run a LOT hotter than I set my PA for. Because of that, you would need a little faster/harder and a lot shorter pull on your piece, using it with water, to avoid combusting. You don't get that immediate feedback, like you do hitting native, or with a stem. I have a small VB Hydrator knock-off that has good feedback with the Box. I'm hoping my SSFG, is similar to the Hydrator. My SSFG rig, will probably only have 1/2 to 2/3 of the vapor volume the Saxo does.

Its not an ideal bubbler for the MFLB, by any stretch. Its just what I have, what I love and I've had it long enough, to pretty much pull off shit, other people don't/can't... because they have other options. I'd LOVE to hit this Saxo with a Cloud, SSV, LSV, etc. I'm really looking forward to getting my HI (a log vape). It will look like whole milk clouds with that and the Saxo. Even with the MFLB limitations on vapor output... its a very satisfying high through the Saxo. As I mentioned... it hits like a truck, especially after I raised the water level.

If I can rig some lights how I want to... I'll be able to show you some decent vapor hits. Its just going to take a little rigging.

6. #6 tnh, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2012
  7. That's fucking awesome I have a 10 arm down tree bubbler and I love it.. I haven't tried to attach my mflb too it tho.. Hmmmmm

8. That thing looks pretty cool and for the price, you probably aren't gonna find another recessed joint like that. Good grab, duder!

9. For the price, its a steal. I would definitely agree with that. Hell, I don't combust for NOTHING... but I'm considering it, just to feel how smooth it must be, with this piece.

10. Simax glass isn't china glass.

Don't beat yourself up ^_^

11. Well, after a day of use... I am much happier with the purchase. I hate bringing up the MFLB, because it doesn't really have anything to do with the piece. Honestly, most vapor people think I'm nuts, getting a piece with so much volume. But, you really start to appreciate it, when you learn its feedback. I'm really anal about things like this, so I will literally sit with a piece and study different draw speeds/strength. I'll try different grinds and cure.

For vapes, the grind isn't as important as the cure. The Saxo with the MFLB likes a little drier grind than I usually use.

The really shocking part in this and I can't explain why, this piece really stretches out a trench. I got a dozen pulls off a trench last night. Its completely spent, which I like to save greener stuff... but, couldn't resist, it was going so well. I think I vaped more last night, than I have vaped in a sitting.

Pictures and possible video tonight, I promise.

12. sigh. I envy you.

I don't have access to weed of differing verities, and I'm like you.

If I could, I would experiment with different what nots and all those things.

But I dont.

I'mma take a bong rip of shitty weed out of my Glasscity stemless ^_^

13. I remember those days well. It wasn't until probably 5 years, before CA went MMJ that I hooked up with a friend from work, that got MMJ quality buds, at a hefty premium cost. I used to just go buy an ounce, from another friend... same company, but what I refered to as "dirt weed". That's actually when I quit smoking pot for about 10 years. I only went back (and to vapor), because of medicinal qualities. I did 6 months of research before I even got my card.

But, what its like today, can change in an instance. Our city has a "resolution" against dispenseries and co-ops within city limits. The County just passed an open ended (they gave themselves the power to change it at any time, w/o a public vote) regulations ordinance, against dispenseries and co-ops being within 1 mile of schools, churches, public buildings and had to be in an "industrial" area. This basically would put half of them out in the desert, or oil fields.

Funny thing is, a lot have picked up and moved back into the city, against the wants of the city. Remember... all they have is a "resolution". That can easily be challenged in court and subsequent ballot measure. Hopefully, this time, the dumbasses that voted for the ordinance, will be better educated and not make the same decision. You should have heard the exit polling, people truly had NO idea WTF they just voted on.

Sorry, to turn to politics. But, denying people access to a legitimate and healthy alternative to fucking pharmaceuticals that oftentimes have worse side-effects than what they're treating... something is seriously fucked up with that. I'm tired of misinformed people. They believe whatever the fucking media tells them.

So its never a guaranteed thing. I'm enjoying it while it lasts though (and started growing for my own needs months ago).

14. #15 BigDaddyVapor, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
    I promised a video. Excuse my voice. This is an agricultural area its been HOT, DRY and they sprayed crops not too long ago. Didn't help on the rip either. But, here's my best attempt, at a slaying the Milk Monster, with a simple MFLB and a voluminousness Saxo bubbler.

Its filmed in HD 1080, so you can go full-screen.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_6sAoSxL5s]Whole Milk MFLB & Saxo Bubbler - YouTube[/ame]

Pics as requested also.

BDV Saxo Bubbler

15. A second, better video of the milk capability with this bubbler
    (and a teeny tiny little mflb)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9bh-CAvWek]Response to MFLB critics - YouTube[/ame]

16. You know, I was having some issues with the ground ring on my box. Wasn't making a good contact, so I had to rely on batteries for a day (until I figured out how to fix it with a coat hanger and channel locks). Anyway... it gave me a day to play with a few different rigs and batteries. Its easier said than done, I'll start with that.

The problem you run into is the nature of batteries vs a consistent and dialed in source of DC voltage (I checked last night. The PA runs, from about 1.2 volts to 1.9, close to 2.0 volts). The Imedion 2400s, for instance... at full fresh charge are at about 1.46-1.47 (no... they don't charge to 1.5 and would be defective if they did). Even brand new, the Imedion 2400s (which are slow discharge, better for storage), after a day just sitting... they're below 1.4 volts. Closer to mid 1.3s. You can certainly vape at that voltage and down to into the 1.2s and are juiced when they drop below. Trying to develop a consistent and milky vapor in a large piece, I kept getting black spots in the grind. Wasn't combusting, but getting as close as you can. With the smaller vapor rigs, it wasn't as noticeable, however the trenches didn't last as long and were much less satisfying.

The reason you get the uneven vaporization, is because you have to hold the battery in longer, than the PA (since its sitting at a consistent 1.4+ volts), to get the same vapor output, which leads to the bottom side being heated too long. The best method is just to take short, light hits, with a water piece. Of course, you can remedy this, somewhat, using a whip and shaking the load. But, honestly, I'm to damn lazy to shake the load and it just annoys the shit out of me, that I should have to (which I don't :D). Right now, I'm running my PA at 1.46 volts and perfect vapor output, from my two (smaller SSFG) pieces and know from experience, the same setting will get the same similar milk shot from the larger Saxo.

Get a PA. Its well worth the investment and opens up a whole new world of possibilities.

17. Im pretty sure black leaf is hungarian glass or sumthin not china