Cripes first all organic 1000w perpetual grow - Jack 99

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by cripes0103, Jul 25, 2012.

1. i knew you had grown but i wasn't sure if you were familiar with soil grows, the plant responds a little differently. hey and let me know how that ac continues to work for you. if it keeps working as said i might have to go find me one.

2. All good dude, you were just being helpful. And I'll definitely let you know how it goes. I'm planning on buying another AC unit for the flower tent (since both will be running simultaneously) and I'll definitely be picking up one of those portable units with an exhaust hose. That will allow me to put the AC unit in the tent, but vent all the air out easily. If you're lookin to get an AC for your grow thats the way I'd suggest you do it. I wanted to do that this time around but kinda freaked out since my temps were so high and just bought the first unit I saw on craigslist.

3. I watered the girls last night before I went to bed and they seem to have enjoyed that. I'll get up some new pictures either after work or this weekend.

I've also made a couple breakthroughs in my cooling situation. I bought some wood to raise the AC unit on so its not just sitting on the floor in my closet. The second breakthrough is that I realized putting my big room fan outside my bedroom blowing in keeps it FAR cooler than having it in my bedroom blowing out. Good to know!

4. Unfortunately I woke up after the lights went out so I didn't get any pictures, but all the girls are looking great! I can tell that they've all gotten their roots out and starting to grow above the soil now. There is some nice side branching happening on both of the Dream Queen girls and the Alien Dawg is just beginning to sprout little side branches. Pictures to come once the lights switch back on.

5. Just put one of the SourJefe seeds in a glass of water to soak for 24 hours. I'm gonna make sure I can get one seed to live to small planthood before I germ any more of them.

6. As promised, PICTURE UPDATE!

They're all lookin good, I'm excited to see them really take off:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Great news, the SourJefe bean popped out a nice little tail last night so I tossed it in a cup filled with moist 100% coco (with some BioAg VAM in the seed hole) and put it under a single 5000k CFL until it sprouts. If everything goes according to plan I'll add 8 more to the crew for sexing and pheno hunting for a good mother. Pics (including the rest of the grow) once the seed breaks above soil.

8. Awwww yeah! The seedling has broken ground! I'm lookin forward to finally growing some seeds out and getting some interesting phenos. Maybe make a few crosses myself with the males? We'll see what happens. On to the pictures:

The seedling station:
    [​IMG]

The Seedling:
    [​IMG]

AlienDawg:
    [​IMG]

Dream Queen 1:
    [​IMG]

Dream Queen 2:
    [​IMG]

Veg Room:
    [​IMG]

9. Hey Cripes,

You can't fool me. That's not a seedling station - that's a computer build station. :rolleyes:

Congrats on the seed pop! Your girlz are looking healthy, too!

See ya...

P.S. I build water-cooled computers on the side. :D

10. It's actually currently being used as my roommates preamp building station (he's a musician and audio tech), but same idea/tools.

Also, with all the shit the people over at Fox Farms get in the organic section, this ocean forrest has been doing these clones well. I know it's not necessarily the best but I've had good results with it in the past and I needed something to put the clones in while I waited for my soil mix to finish cooking. I'll be transplanting them into 7 gal grow bags this weekend filled with my mix. I'm pretty excited to see how the girls like it!

11. Woke up this morning and I couldn't be happier with the temps. Now that the heat wave is gone my temp range is 80-83 rather than the 65-82 during the hotter days (the AC thermometer keeps it running until the temps outside the tent drop so the tent was getting pretty chilly).

I'm going to let the seedling chill in its coco cup (watering from the bottom) for the next few days, top dress with my soil mix once it looks hungry, then finally xfer it into a nice 1 gal pot once it seems necessary. Sound like a good plan to everyone else?

Also, when does everyone think I should move the seedling under the MH light? I figure I'll wait until it gets some food in its system first, but any other guidance would be great.

12. Now that things have cooled down a bit I think I'll drop the temps by a few degrees. I had the AC set at 82, which was keeping temps between 79 and 83 so I think I'm going to drop it down to 76 with hopes of keeping the temps between 73 and 77.

Hows everyone liking the grow so far?

13. everything is looking really good good man. you seem to have the habitat on lock. now the waiting game.

what are your plans for an uppot? (sip,smart pot, basic planter, etc)

14. I've got some 7gal felt grow bags I got from HTG. I've heard some mixed reviews on using this type of bag but I figure I'll just find out for myself.

15. Just threw 8 more seeds of Sour Jefe into a cup of water to soak overnight. I figure the seedling is looking really good right now so as long as I do everything exactly the same for these I should be fine.

16. [quote name='"cripes0103"']I've got some 7gal felt grow bags I got from HTG. I've heard some mixed reviews on using this type of bag but I figure I'll just find out for myself.[/quote]

Could I recommend making a few self irrigated planters? The growth rate and vigor of the plants seems to be unmatched from multiple journals I have followed, I have yet to try my own, and if I wasn't flowering I would've uppotted to one. They are very cheap and easy to make.

On the note of soaking seeds, I personally would recommend against that and so do the seed companies on their websites. The practice of soaking seeds is better for older seeds that have potentially lost their viability and moisture content. Younger, newer seeds, like those from seed banks are already moist within and are fully capable of producing life when in the right environment. Soaking seeds wets an already moist seed and can in effect drown it. I'm sure you have had moderate success with this method since you practice it still, but I would advise that 'nature knows best' when it comes to environment..and nature doesn't soak seeds overnight before planting them, it just drops them on the ground. I have had almost 100% germination rate in a soil medium all with random bag seed, you have beautiful, quality, fresh seeds. I think they have a lot more potential for life than mine. Anyhow all this is my opinion, feel free to press on as you see fit.

17. #57 cripes0103, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2012
    First of all, I really appreciate having you around astro. While I may not take your advice often, I really appreciate having a differing point of view from mine. It makes me think about things that I hadn't considered before or just blown off in the past, thanks for being around!

So about the SIP's - I've seen some great results using those but for this grow I want to keep things as simple as possible. It's my first grow using my own soil mix and I want to get my medium locked in before I try new watering practices or containers.

As far as soaking goes - I actually never used to soak my seeds, I would just throw them in a moist paper towel until they sprouted (I know, I know, this still isn't planting them directly into the medium), but recently talked to a grower who I respect quite a bit and asked for his exact seed starting regimen. What he told me was this:
    "Soak 24 hours in tap water (I use RO), into wet paper towels until they sprout tails, then I go into cups of coco soaked with tap water beforehand. I put the cups in a tray and bottom water once they sprout and cups get light. I then go to 1/4 strength or 400 - 600 ppm nutes (I'll be top dressing instead). its a lazy method but it works for me."
    I've been using this method so far and I'm very happy with the results, getting 100% germination so far. Not to mention I like the security of seeing that little white tail popping out, letting me know I have a viable seed! Maybe once I get a bit more comfortable starting seeds and get some good genetics lined up in my tent I'll begin tossing my seeds right into the medium.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

18. Its time for an update. I've planted all of the seedlings (100% germ rate) into straight coco with some BioAg VAM dropped in the seed hole first. I put up a 6 light cfl setup I had leftover from an old grow and have it about 12 inches above the cups.

Both Dream Queens and the AlienDawg were transplanted into 7 gal felt grow bags filled with my home made soil mix. As of 24 hour after the transplant they seem to be loving it. I'm also seeing some nice lower branches coming out of the Dream Queens. I will be LSTing all 3 girls in the next few days.

I've also discontinued the use of my AC. My temps get up to 86 but not for all that long and I'm saving a ton of money on electricity.

On to the pictures:

Seedling station 2.0
    [​IMG]

Alien Dawg
    [​IMG]

Dream Queen 1
    [​IMG]

Dream Queen 2
    [​IMG]

Veg tent
    [​IMG]

19. lookin good

question what kind of ventilation do you have in your veg tent?

20. For ventilation I'm using a 204cfm inline fan pulling air through a cooltube.