Cripes first all organic 1000w perpetual grow - Jack 99

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by cripes0103, Jul 25, 2012.

1. #1 cripes0103, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2012
    Hey blades,

I've made another "organic" grow journal before but I was still using bottled organic nutrients. I am switching over to full organics with my own water only soil mix and with some help from an assortment of teas. This is my first time growing like this so bear with me and if you see me doing something wrong then point me in the right direction. My soil mix will be as follows:

Base soil(5 cu/ft):
    2.2 cu/ft Peat
    1.5 cu/ft EWC
    1.3 cu/ft Perlite

Food Mix:
    5/3 cup Fish Meal
    5/3 cup Alfalfa Meal
    5/3 cup Bone Meal

Fix-it Mix:
    2.5 cup Neem Meal
    2.5 cup Karanja Meal
    2.5 cup Kelp Meal

Mineral Mix:
    5 cup Glacial Rock Dust
    2.5 cup Azomite
    2.5 cup Greensand
    5 cup Dolomite Lime

I'll be mixing this up tonight and adding some water so it can cook for the next 5-6 weeks before I transplant my 1 month vegged Jack 99 plants after adding some BioAg VAM. I'll be putting these plants into either 5 or 7 gallon pots (can someone give me some input on whether I should go for 5 or 7 gallons?) and flowering them for about 2 months under a 1000w HPS. I will hopefully get a good perpetual setup going where I harvest 2 plants every month. I'm going to be getting the Jack 99 clones within the next 2 weeks and I'll plant them in a premade soil mix until they are vegged out and ready for the home-made mix. Want to hear more details? Did I forget to tell you about something? Want to tell me what you think? Just let me know!

EDIT: I just realized I multiplied my recipe by 4 cu/ft instead of 5... I'll be adding the correct amount tomorrow

2. Subbed! First to take a seat! Interested in switching to full organics rather than "chemicals".. Interested. Good luck brother

3. #3 cripes0103, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2012
    Well guys, my roommate and I just mixed up the soil mix above. I hope no one sees any major tweaks I need to make because its past the point of no return! I'm excited to see how this soil turns out. We mixed everything up and split it into two separate 36 gallon rubbermaids then added about 2.5 gallons of water to each. I'm going to let them sit overnight then check them in the morning to see if they need a bit more water. I'm thinking they could possibly use about 2.5 more gallons each, but we'll see.

Here's a picture before we started mixing everything up. A few things didn't make it into the picture.
    [​IMG]

4. I'm planning on building myself a DIY tea brewer and was wondering if anyone knew any good recipes. Can anyone recommend any recipes comprised of the ingredients I'm using in my soil mix?

5. vermicompost and a dash of kelp meal, alfalfa meal, sphagnum peat and molasses. you also need a sufficient pump. I use a eco-air commercial air 1 with 2-3 gallons of water usually. are you using any endo-mycorrhiza?

I would decrease the amount of dolomite lime, if any at all.. between the minerals, compost, and premier amendments you won't even know it's missing. BTW ld's fix it mix was comprosed of kelp, neem , and crab. The crab is a substitute for dolomite's. same deal with bone meal. I don't use lime or bone meal thanks to crab meal. It has additional benefits too.

6. Go Cripes, Go!

Will be watching and absorbing as much as possible..Your goals and mine are very similar right now and I gotta see how your soil and AACT's work out for you.

7. #7 cripes0103, Jul 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2012
    Hey hope!

For myco I'll be using BioAg VAM, which I believe is just applied directly to the roots at transplant.

Unfortunately I've mixed everything together already... Do you think the crab meal/dolomite thing is that big of a deal? I plan on adding more amendments tonight since I only added enough for 4 cu/ft of soil rather than 5 cu/ft (rookie mistake, haha), should I skip out on adding more dolomite? I'm just worried about the peat since I've heard it can be very acidic.

8. Thanks for the encouragement guys! Hopefully you two can learn as much as I did watching other peoples journals.

9. [quote name='"hope2toke"']vermicompost and a dash of kelp meal, alfalfa meal, sphagnum peat and molasses. you also need a sufficient pump. I use a eco-air commercial air 1 with 2-3 gallons of water usually. are you using any endo-mycorrhiza?

I would decrease the amount of dolomite lime, if any at all.. between the minerals, compost, and premier amendments you won't even know it's missing. BTW ld's fix it mix was comprosed of kelp, neem , and crab. The crab is a substitute for dolomite's. same deal with bone meal. I don't use lime or bone meal thanks to crab meal. It has additional benefits too.[/quote]

Just curious,but why use moss in your tea? The only purpose I have heard this serves is water retention within your medium,but I haven't heard anyone recommend using it in a tea. Could you justify the addition of this ingredient please? Thanks toke :smoke:

And I'm tagging along,good luck cripes

10. Just finished mixing the rest of the amendments we forgot and the soil is looking good. We added about a gallon of water to each of the rubbermaids holding soil then covered it back up. How much air flow should I allow these soil containers? I have the lids propped up a little to allow a bit of air exchange, is that enough?

11. #11 cripes0103, Jul 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2012
    Hey Blades, after letting the soil sit for a while in rubbermaids there are some nice patches of fungi starting to grow on top. Here are a couple pictures of the soil as of yesterday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. what was in the tea? I believe thats a good sign!!

13. Actually no teas have been used so far, just the exact recipe I have in the first post watered with good old fashioned H2O

14. Hey cripes,

Nice job on the soil mix! Did you source your EWC locally? It's obviously very bio-active.

If you read the last few pages of possuum's thread, you'll get some interesting perspectives on teas and ACTs from G45 and Possuum. I think both of those blades would look at your mix and say, Water only, dude!

Bigger pots equals larger root mass equals fatter girlz. If you've got the room, go with the 7 gal pots.

Looking forward to what you do with that mix!

See ya...

15. [quote name='"papawayne"']Hey cripes,

Nice job on the soil mix! Did you source your EWC locally? It's obviously very bio-active.

If you read the last few pages of possuum's thread, you'll get some interesting perspectives on teas and ACTs from G45 and Possuum. I think both of those blades would look at your mix and say, Water only, dude!

Bigger pots equals larger root mass equals fatter girlz. If you've got the room, go with the 7 gal pots.

See ya...[/quote]

Wowzers g45 post hurts a little! It makes perfect sense though ..hmmmph need to rethink a few things.. :ponder:

16. Well, after reading all that I guess I'm going to try at least one water only grow and see how it goes.

17. Nothing to it but to do it

18. [quote name='"papawayne"']Hey cripes,

See ya...[/quote]

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction papa, both me and my garden thank you, haha.

I picked up my casting from a local nursery but I think they're a fairly big brand Garden and Bloome Worm Gro earth worm castings. I'm definitely happy with the quality so far.

Also looks like I'll definitely have to go with the 7 gallon pots. I figure worst case scenario, I only fill them with 5 gallons of soil!

19. Quick update: Mixed up both soil bins to ensure an even "cooking" and added about a gallon of water to each. No picture updates because, let's be honest, it wouldn't be anything exciting to look at.

20. Hey y'all, so today is the third day since I mixed everything up and I'm not seeing any fungal growth yet. I'm not SUPER worried about this, but it seemed like when I initially mixed up this batch it got some of that white mold within a couple days. Am I just being paranoid?