Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can I make pot brownies with the mix from a box?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by WyoHunter420, Jul 25, 2012.

1. #21 Hali Hostility, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2012

Yes. you actually do, because some of the water is trying to absorb the THC , and it does absorb a little of it, so its not letting the FAT absorb all of it it, unless you actually use the water after-wards its friggen pointless.

The only time its necessary to even have to go through the process of separating water and butter is if you made a ghetto double boiler, and something made your butter pot, fall into your water pot on ACCIDENT. otherwise there is absolutely ZERO reasons for water to be in your butter. So you don't technically LOSE fat, but you loose THC to the water when it could be being absorbed 100% by the fat.

So your method infact IS incorrect.

And yeah. I've had butter that cooked for about 20 hours and that was bitter and gross as HELLLLL.
    So 22 hours would only be worse. Shiiiit I've had butter cooked for maybe only 12 or 13 hours that was bitter and funky.

And its overkill because after a certain point, your done extracting THC and your extracting all the other crap you DONT want. Have you looked at the color of the weed AFTER making butter for 20 hours? It has ZERO green left... that = OVER EXTRACTION which = OVERKILL.

And most people DO have a crock pot laying around, and if you don't, you make a double boiler with the pots you already have.
    Or you can almost DEFINITELY get one from mom or grandma. :p

And where did you come up with the assumption that "You don't burn butter when it's melted and simmering " ummm YES you do. Thats the only way TO burn your butter. By leaving it on direct heat for long periods of time...as in sayyy 22 hours?:rolleyes:
    It doesn't litteraly turn black like burnt toast but it DOES burn and you can see and taste it.

The difference here is, you going off of "methods" on the internet, I'm going off of years of making tons of DANK cannabutter that tastes good and knocks you on your ass, and basic cooking knowledge.
    Your methods take twice the effort and aren't even necessary.

2. Listen you are all, over the place here.

Let's go back. You do NOT burn butter if it's simmering, you burn it if you heat it too high or you boil too much water away - in which case it is user error.

And you give me a percentage of the water to THC absorption. It's like trying to make tea using just hot water. Very very minuscule - totally unnoticeable. Or a bong. Don't start getting overly anal technical now.

Then I said 22 hours is probably for AVB in my last post. Hard to miss that tidbit.

I'm going off experience too. I think you are definitely knocking it before seeing the whole picture.

They have been doing this method for hundreds of years. You need to go do a google search on Indian ghee.

Ghee is the same method but you scoop off the frothy top and off the top of my head I don't remember why. And even if that's scooping off fat it's still been the method long before you and I and this site and instructables.

Get off my jock man, different strokes for diffrent folks. If you don't prefer the method don't do it. Making oil is even easier.

And that's the point of my original post. You don't dump bud into brownie mix, you make butter or oil. Jesus way to derail us here.

Can we get back on track?

3. Yeah I will, I'm not gonna cook with it for a while tho until I can buy 5 grams.

4. I'm not on your "jock" just sayin, the whole water thing is just ridiculous. Whether you lose thc or not and you do lose small amounts, regardless, it has no point and its just a good way to make a complicated mess of things and i don't understand why water would even come into the equation to begin with.

And once more YES youy absolutely can burn your butter by letting it simmer for a long time on direct heat, my point is, if its in a D.B or crock pot it CAN burn unless your stirring it constantly i've done it a 75976785786 times dude.

Not trying to argue just for the sake of it, im just explaining the BEST way to do it and why the whole water aspect is just comepletely out of place... my mind is still blown that it was even mentioned... i simply cant see why the water came into place...

we've been on track from the beginning FYI...

5. Exactly - you don't get it. The boiling water melts the butter and KEEPS IT from burning. You can't just throw butter into a pan and cook with with bud - it will burn!

So if you suspend it in an aqueous medium - that being the water, it stays at a constant simmering temperature and extract the THC the whole time, letting the heat take away the water in the form of steam. The butter absorbs the 99.74758% of the THC so it's superiorly efficient.

Then after however much time you want, you strain the bud from the butter/water mixture. Then you cool it.

Oil and water don't mix, fats are non-polar and hydrophobic. After the melted butter cools and rises to the top, it's totally separated from the water and you just pour off the water and you're left with the Cannabutter.

It's not much different than using alcohol when making QWISO. You add alcohol to extract all the THC and it's in the fluid. Then you let it evaporate and then you're left with just the goodies to get high from.

You use a fluid to transport THC from one place to another. In this case the butter. The water will separate away and it keeps things cool.

6. #26 Mur, Jul 26, 2012
    why you gotta be such a fucking dick

chill w/ the name calling please..

7. Good lord this thread really got away from me. Ummm to the people that are arguing no offense but stfu. Thanks for your help but calm down, it's just a forum. Really tho, thanks for the help from all you u I really needed it but before you start to argue just smoke a bowl an calm down.

8. The stfu totally not necessary after you're asking for help after not searching....

The argument is over some damn person telling me a method they know almost nothing about that has been used FOREVER doesn't work and I know damn well it does because I've done it 5 times now -all successful.

You ever have someone tell you you're wrong after you've done something over and over and admit they don't understand but they say so?

Same scenario. You figure it out then man. It's all very straight forward in the first place. There's like 10 different main ways to cook with bud and apparently you researched 0 thinking oh throw weed in the mix.

9. really man? don't tell people to calm down when they are helping YOU:poke:

10. I see no problem with OP telling people to stfu. Negative comments are out of hand.

btw the butter isn't going to burn in water, especially at a simmer, and the water can't absorb enough thc to make any difference ever.

Different people do different stuff sometimes.

11. Wow... Thanks chown for being cool. I'm not going on the edibles forum for a while cause all u do is get pissy so don't even bother leaving a reply anymore.

12. You have to make cannabutter first.
    then use that butter as the butter in the recipe.

13. stfu??? really?
    Its not like its a heated argument with yellin and shit...
    Its an exchangement of methods and misunderstanding of certain things..
    Everybody seems calm to me.

And a forum is EXACTLY what it is, which is for conversations and exchangements of subjects. Its not a Q&A....

14. #34 Hali Hostility, Jul 26, 2012

Umm actually i DO get it..

Yeah, your right, BUT the point is, the water makes things so much more complicated, when it's not neccesary in the first place, all you gotta do is put the pot of butter IN the pot of water [aka double boiler] and it serves the SAME purpose without adding the effort of needing to seperate the water..

which by the way, idk if you've actually tried it but i HAVE had water fall into my butter and cook that way for a while, it doesn't just sit at the top when its hot... with OIL it does..

Not with butter.. butter and water DO mix when hot. no matter how fatty it is, there is CREAM in butter which binds them and lets the majority of it mix.

So as long as its hot, steaming or simmering OR boiling, the heat is moving energy throughout the butter and the bubbles are mixing it to, not to mention you have to stir it at least every so often or you get a leafy cakey orangish brownish layer on the bottom that fucks with the flavor... thats burnt butter by the way. Its pretty much impossible for the water to sit on top of butter without enduring mixing and this and that for 6 or 7 hours, let alone 20 or 22... UNLESS its in a double boiler or crock pot...i've taken it upon myself to rename crock pots.. [PotCrocks:p] by the way:D

If you look at it, it doesn't look like butter with water on top, it just looks like butter.

The only way to seperate it is to freeze the butter and THEN the water settles on top... then you have to eaither scrape or break it off. If your making a recipe that calls for water AND butter then its kinda a good idea to use the butter water in replacement of regular water since it DID absorb a little bit of THC then why not, but otherwise its seriously pointless.

They put water in canna OIL because when oil sits on heat for a long time, it smokes. It burns way friggen hotter than butter. Even on low temps, after a long time its smokes..

The water sits on top it holds a little cooler of a temperature.

It really doesn't matter to me how you make your butter, my whole point is i think you've just read a lot of these methods or whatever and mixmashed them without actually SEEING the proccess and turnout of each method.

you can argue whatever you want, just sayin, i've SEEN it and it's god damn, messy, pointless, and it makes you have to wait longer to use your cannabutter.:(

so i say fuck it. put the extra 2 seconds of time into making a double boiler with a base pot, and a slightly smaller pot with two handles thats rests its handles ot that pot OR stick a metal cookie cutter under your butter pot to hold it away from the bottom of the water pot. or a fantabulous pot-crock :)

If you don't wanna listen don't but ive done it WAYYYYYY more than 5 times and butter made straight on a stove has never been anywhere close to as simple and just overall as GOOD as in the double boiler and crock..

15. Except for, the only people he's referring to are the people NOT making negative comments...
    He's referring to the people that answered both of his questions , and then continued on from there...

16. Ugh damn it you still don't get it. I can see you see the picture now but I can tell you've never done it so you're flaring opinion to knowledge & trial/error. Plus you're still wrong.

To me, the double pot double broiler seems sketchier because the butter can burn to the bottom of the dry pot at any time. Butter should not ever be simmering alone because it will reduce into a nasty clump of shit. So the water is used to do that for you. It acts as a 'lubricant' if you will. Anything boiled out is water from the water, not water from the butter alone.

The melted butter is supposed to melt into the water and look like simmering bud water for the most part. Mostly the weed turns darker brown from the decarb and that's all you see until you stir.

Water is polar and not pulling out more than 1% of any cannabinoids put together. The fatty butter which is in the water does the job instead. You're right the butter doesn't sit on top: it's melted into the water :rolleyes: I've said this 15 times.

Moving right along, you don't HAVE to freeze the bud, but I separates the Cannabutter from the water faster than refrigerating it for a couple of hours.

Science for you - go figure.

And because you've never done this, you WOULD have known like ME, the butter once it's cooled the butter floats on TOP of the water in the shape of whatever container you put it in.

IF you freeze it and let it sit out you can pop the whole butter clump out and it will be mildy gelatinous - skipping the step of dealing with soft butter still floating on water.

Butter doesn't sit under water :rolleyes:

Then once you have your butter clump taken out of the container all that's left is the water you used for 'lubrication' and you dump it down the damn drain.

Do I need to start referencing YouTube so you get it? I will pull 1500 videos right now.

17. The double boiler method I was worried about burning it too. If you use a large lot on the bottom and keep it full enough the mason jar doesn't sit on the bottom. It kind of bounces and bubbles between true slow bubbles of the water and sort of floating at the same time. I mean big as in deep, gotta be deep. I had te same concern but it turned out fine without hardly any attention. I only came in to add water to the boiler a few times, it was beyond simple. No stirring, no burning, no nonsense.

Having said yet I've made butter and oil a few ways. For butter my personal fav is the MJ in the mason jar in a pot of water. Otherwise oil is pretty easy too.

The tricks are like cooking good ribs. Low and slow, don't let em burn. If you don't double boil, stir it often, heat low, long time. It's not complicated but is extremely easy to burn :(

18. The double pot method will not burn the butter. Water can't get hot enough to burn food without evaporating. Put water in the first, turn on the burner, put butter in the second, and put it in the the first. If a mason jar in water won't burn it, nor will a pot in water.

You'll be fine, people do it all the time. Stop bitching and stand over the stove while you cook if your scared.
    Damn y'all are making it so difficult.

19. STFU, you're out of hand.

:smoke:

20. I forgot the one perc of the mason jar double boiler method! There's hardly any smell, actually I'd say there is no smell until you open that jar. Then it stanks really good!