Why people smoke cigarettes

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBlazer, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Yeah, but that whole "relaxes you when you're stressed out" thing is bullshit. It's all in your head, like a placebo effect. It's the actual act of smoking the cigarette that calms you, not the nicotine or tobacco. Tobacco increases your heart rate, which physically would make one feel more stressed out than if they didn't smoke.

Anyways, a better question is why people START smoking cigarettes. Most people who currently smoke do because they became addicted and it's a habit/routine now. There are many different reasons as to why one would begin to smoke, but continuing to do so is the result of becoming addicted. I know some exceptions to the rule, friends who only smoke when they're drunk or whatever, but for the most part it's due to addiction.

I started cause I was just entering my rebellious stage at age 11. I thought it went hand in hand with starting to drink and smoke weed, so I smoked cigarettes as well. When I was fifteen and decided maybe I should quit for sports (stamina was getting shitty) I realized how hard it was and that I had become addicted.

That's why I still smoke.

2. I am not satisfied with you.. My dad is a very big smoker ... But i have never do smoking ....

Regards,
    Commodity tips

3. Most people start smoking when they are in their teens and are addicted by the time they reach adulthood. Some have tried to quit but have returned to cigarettes because smoking is such a strong addiction. It is a habit that is very difficult to break. There are many different reasons why people smoke.

Three of the main reasons that young people smoke are to look mature, to be like their friends, and to experiment. Since teens see older people all around them smoking, especially their parents and relatives, they smoke to act older. If their friends or peers smoke, they may feel pressured into doing the same to be accepted. The last reason is the excitement of experimenting with something that is forbidden. In Massachusetts it is against the law for anyone under 18 years old to smoke. Usually parents do not allow their under age teens to smoke. Therefore, smoking becomes very attractive. It is exciting to get cigarettes and sneak away to smoke without being caught.

Adults smoke for other reasons. They may have a lot of stress and pressures because of economic and personal problems. They may be unemployed or working but not making enough money to take care of themselves and their families. They may be homeless, or they may be dealing with alcohol or cocaine/heroin addictions. Some may be in bad marriages or relationships in which there is physical and/or verbal abuse. All these people may smoke to feel relaxed or to give them energy while going through a hard time.

Whether young or old, some people smoke to control their weight. Smokers, on the average, weigh seven pounds less than non-smokers. Smoking reduces a person's appetite. It lessens his/her sense of taste and smell. This could be why ex-smokers gain weight after quitting cigarettes. Food tastes and smells so much better.

Finally, there are people who say they love to smoke. Smoking gives them pleasure. It just makes them feel good.

4. Genetic Link to Teen Tobacco Addiction

There is more. This was published in 2008. I don't feel like googling more, but what I say is true. (You may have had a genetic variation that protects you from cigarette addiction.) All of these questions could have been answered with google. I understand though, google may be hard to use when you're stoned.

5. Because they're legal and better drugs aren't.

6. I quit cigs for 15 months, cold turkey.
    Was hell the first 3 months, but I pulled it.
    Now I'm smoking again, but %75 less, and by my own choice after longful thinking.
    Plus, I love my spliffs.
    Honestly though, in the recent years I only smoke tobacco MIXED with weed.
    Rarely would I just smoke a whole cigarette nowadays.

Anyway, stop breathing down our necks and let us enjoy whatever we want,
    it's enough that we smokers are looked down on and oppressed in all public places, and they always put the ashtrays next to the trash cans outside of buildings, and all those annoying pics and documentaries.
    Then the last thing I need is to come to a chill forum to read about people bitching about other peoples' business. Fuck we get it haha

7. It's addicting and add in social pressure and that's how people start smoking.

Plus nicotine is an awesome relaxing drug. No denying that.

8. I'm starting to notice how in movies and shows all of the cool characters now smoke cigarettes

9. Addiction.

Plain and simple.

10. This has been happening since the beginning of cinema.

11. I used to smoke cigarettes because I needed something that could easily distract me. I needed some kind of crutch to turn too...so I could divert my actual feelings into something other than a difficult situation, (if that makes sense) I wasn't aware of this reason until recently when I quit, I always thought I smoked because it relaxed me.

Now of course it wasn't like this when I first started smoking..I did it in the beginning to be cool but the more I casually smoked the more I saw I could smoke away my problems..

Oh you pissed me off that's ok I'll smoke a cigarette

I can't put off my surgery anymore sure I can! (as i proceed to smoke a cigarette)

no weed, or liq..smoke a cigarette

But after 5 years of that....shit got old. I realized if I didn't stop cigarettes they would be the death of me those cancer sticks are the perfect natural substance to instill addiction into someone.

12. #52 Demiurge, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2012
    It's believed with tobacco, 100% organic tobacco. There is a very, very small chance of getting cancer, even if predisposed. Those people were not smoking the tobacco most smoke today. They weren't smoking a pipe an hour either. Is it as safe as weed, or caffeine in moderation? No. But 100% organic tobacco is no where, no where as harmful as your typical manufactured cigg.

Although I just bought my first back in three months today after this I plan on only smoking with weed. If you aren't already I HIGHLY recommend smoking organic tobacco. Or buying natural american spirit pouches. It's more expensive than regular ciggs but if you only smoke with bud that shouldn't matter. All tobacco, no bullshit chemicals. A NAS spiff is wonderful.

13. Haha I quit cold turkey and my therapist to this day notices how when I get nervous I make a motion with a pencil or something like I'm ashing my smoke and shake my legs.

14. cause it calms your nerves, and its pretty common for people to smoke if their parents do, or did; i use to smoke, but quit, and i don't plan on starting ever again

15. When I started, I had always believed cigs were terrible for you. haha

it really started when, as a 16-17 year old teen, my friends and I would sit around in parking lots looking for things to do, and sometimes decide on drinking. One of our friends picked up a pack at 18, and we tried a few. It was something to do, and we liked the buzz we got after smoking

Then, it all went down hill. I said I'd stop after the buzz was gone, and a few months later it was gone and I was buying packs

there's no real good reason for it really. just the fact that they're addictive. I've since quit or cut back enough, though.

16. #56 Iowa Fresh, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2012
    Fun fact: Nicotine is the only drug that can give users two opposite effects depending how ingested

If you smoke long and slow it's relaxing, kind of like an opiate.

If you smoke short and fast it's stimulating, kind of like amphetamines.

17. [quote name='"HiowA:)"']Fun fact: Nicotine is the only drug that can give users two opposite effects depending how ingested

If you smoke long and slow it's relaxing, kind of like an opiate.

If you smoke short and fast it's stimulating, kind of amphetamines.[/quote]

Good point. I miss having ciggys as a stim.

18. I'll be honest: Nothing is more enjoyable than lighting a cigarette in the car after smoking some chronic. And, also, nothing beats a cigarette with a nice glass of Jack Daniels.

19. #59 Simplyblunted, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2012
    [​IMG]

I like the way they taste. I smoke a menthol mmmm after smoking a bowl. But i cant stand the fucking smoke and take my activites outside. I only smoke maybe two or three a day. It really can calm my nerves

20. Its called addiction.... and that bit of relief people get from smoking them and there little head rushes...

now lets talk about the not so smart people like yourself that don't seem to understand this very very simple thing