400 watt hps closet grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by skinnybigbuds, Jul 15, 2012.

1. just they ladies in their closet!!!:D:smoke:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. looks like something is locked up. :confused: I'll study on it...
    do you have access to worm castings? Using the tea I think that may be your missing ingredient. :smoke:
    Top dress w/at least an inch of worm castings and it will likely balance in a week or so.:wave:
    They look great and nothing to fret over yet.;) pictures are nice too.
    :smoke::wave:

3. #43 skinnybigbuds, Jul 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2012
    :wave:I believe walmart carries worm castings now ill have to check it out!!!:smoke: They have it in quarts how many do you think i would need?

4. Try cal-mag on the OG

5. I've done the Epsom salts cal/mag thing on plants when I wasn't using the teas and worm castings couldn't ever tell a difference but we are using different water and my water used to give me hell when I was using the bottles. Any way in the end when it cleared up I was playing with the zinc to sulfur relationship and lets face it most of these yellow indicators look almost exactly alike to me, not zinc but the rest do. I haven't even used fish emulsion this grow. I don't know if cal/mag will help or hurt, didn't ever seem to hurt probably cause of the heavy hand I have when I water was leaching it out.
    As to the worm castings it sounds like a liquid. if so follow directions but if it looks like dirt get enough to cover the top of the potting soil an inch. My stuff was looking a bit yellow and I did that and they greened up nice.

6. The worm casting walmart has is like dirt just comes in quart jugs, but you have to order it online. I think i might try to find a nursery around that might have it. Seems like i always have something grow related coming in the mail and its starting to making me paranoid a bit. :eek:

about the cal/ mag idk anything about it or what it would look if she was needing it i really thing the fish emulsion and the worm castings hopefully will take care of the problem.

I pulled them all out tonight at watered well and feed 1/2 dose of the emulsion to the dh og . we shall see in the next three days what she does. Sitting around thinking about the problem and when watering today it seems like the soil is really solid and dry especially on the bottom i kinda think i'm waiting to many days in between water so i think i will start watering more often but a little less at a time. About how many gallons of water should i be using on a 5 gal grow bag ? :smoke::smoke::smoke:

7. If it needs it more often give it what it needs to get it good and wet more often. As it gets more and more root bound you have more runoff before uptake. Roots displace soil and funnels the water out before the soil starts soaking it up. Qashi had this problem and fixed it by watering more often and using more water to get them good and wet. They will handle the heat better too if you have heat issues as he did.
    Also remember each plant depending on where it is in relation to the fan and the light is going to take up their water in their own time. You can water one if it is nearly dry but don't water a wet one just because it is beside a dry one. Treat each as an individual.:D
    I have soil mixes in the past that became hard and crusty and I would stab the soil good and break it up with a screw driver or some such tool. Not to tear up the roots too bad but to break the soil so it soaks up the water better. Worm castings will help with this too but if it is hard I would give it some holes to travel in a bit.:smoke:

8. So pulled the dh og out and poked around in her soil a bit and really watered her good yesterday. She is already dry today not the top its still moist but the bottom is back to rock hard again and after watering last night it was shoaked and smushy a bit. I havent feed anything since sat evening and it was 1/2 tsp to a quart of water of the fish emulsion seemed to green up a bit the day after feeding but now after the water last night i see the tips are yellowing. I dont wanna over feed so three days will be tom. evening but she looks like she needs something to me.????? i took some pics so show better what i'm trying to explain. also lower leaves are dropping a bit.????????????????:confused:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Do you think it's the dirt? How would you feel about getting her into a much bigger pot if she's drinking so much? or a good idea might be to set her up in a sip pot.:D she'll probably go mega monster on ya.:metal:
    If she's drinking lots of water it's a good thing. If the soil isn't taking up the water, maybe you could soak her for a bit in a pan of water since she's in a smart pot. Usually when dirt gets hard it will soften when it gets wet. How deep were you able to get into the pot?
    What size is the pot?
    Do you think she could use some sulfur or gypsum?
    I posted this on my page a lil while ago, I thought it is very good even though no pics.
    https://florahydroponics.com//plantnutrition.aspx#2
    There's time to puzzle it out, but if she's using water everyday you probably do need more nutes cause she's using them as much as the water.

10. :wave:I was just reading through that from your page. :D I dont really have room for a bigger bag shes in a 5 gal now. I think i got pretty deep in the soil when poking around. Not sure what a sip pot is i get the picture but is there a product out there or are you thinking i could rig one up? i'm pretty handy its my job to be so stuff like that or installing my inline are a breeze for me. I dont mind watering everyday if that will work i'm just very confused on what i should be feeding or how much since she drinks so fast and like i said before everything i read or hear about the dh its a heavy feeder but i just dont want to overdue it. The fish emulsion says it wont burn but i dont believe that really. I do think she could be lacking sulfer. not sure how to fix that though?:smoke:

11. also i do soak them sometimes but my container is only about half way up the bag so it wont soak the whole thing but i top her off always. I never have left them in the tub for more then probably 15 min should it be allowed to soak longer??

12. Them plants look nice, but they might want a bigger pot than a 5 gal. I grew my last plants to 36 inches tall in a 5 gal pale and they got root bound. Some people can do pretty good on just a 3 gallon pot from what I have heard though. More dirt probably equals more bud in the end.

13. My only problem is space, i'm working in a closet, my pots now are 13inch wide and 10 tall (i think).and they fill it up. i already feel like i dont have enough light coverage. i might have to check out what the dimensions are on the 8 gal breathers. What happens when a plant becomes root bound? I thought grow bags air pruned which helps plants from becoming root bound???

14. Yep, :D sit her butt in a inch or 2 of water and see what she does, give her an hour. If she drinks it all, do it again...just to get to know what she takes up and how long it takes her to do it. You can top it off at the end but give her time to take up all she will from the bottom first.
    As she gets bigger roots it will be more and more. One thing you would get w/a bigger pot for sure is more time between watering. I always think of it as if they are stagnant and need a jump start. Usually that means more dirt if there are tight roots. If they are very tight you need a very much larger pot. More than 1 size bigger at least.
    :confused:as an afterthought I was wondering what the weight is like when you lift it?
    Does the weight feel light? mine feel like they weigh at least 30 or 40 lbs when they are wet. I carry a lot of feed and dirt so that's what it seems like.:smoke:

15. ill look at the bigger bags now but idk if it will fit in the closet and not take over the other twos light completely. I did just as you said already i let her soak for about a hour then topped off slowly with this new watering jug i got today. it has a hose so i just set it in the pot open it up and it very slowly waters i put around 3 gals. between the bottom and topping her. Then gave her a quart of 1/2 dose 5-1-1. All the plants differ but the dh is the heaviest and i say more like 40 to 50lbs wet. 30 dry maybe a little more. they bigger younger bsp is also very heavy and has hard dirt but seems to be doing great after that full does of the emulsion last wed. I also have been trying to water her more often since then too.:smoke:

16. Skinny, you can work with it but you gotta keep them watered as she buds she will slow down on the water but being in the closet, water from the bottom and top her off on days when you feed, don't water from the bottom on those days. Water from the top and then feed. I bet that will solve it. So the other I wrote applies and this applies as well, just choose what you have to work with and run with it. The bottom water w/the grow bag is much the same as the sip notion.

17. I am new to smart pots or fabric bags myself since I am just starting to use them. I think you are right though that they are not supposed to get root bound, however if you are having to water them every day, then your soil is just probably consumed by roots. I think these kind of pots are actually supposed to make the roots grow with a more fibrous structure. But your plants are kind of big though so I bet a 7 wouldn't hurt. I think they are like 14.5 inches wide.

18. yeah i could fit the 8 gals in there or at least one but the 11gal are gonna be too big for right now. the more i learn i think i would like to do two 8 or 11 gal pots instead on 3 5's from now but idk if transplanting into a 8 will help much it only gonna give me another inch all the way around and one on the bottom too.

19. Sometimes less plants in larger pots is better? I'm no expert either, but I have done a couple successful grows now and I think I have to agree with that. Right now I am giving 2.5 square feet per plant (36"x 20" grow tent) on a 400 watt light in my closet with 2 plants. I will probably move up to 7 gal smart pots but probably no bigger. Those 10 gal ones start to get pretty dang huge. I kind of wonder how much yield increases as you add more dirt. Yield increase could be decent but I bet it probably starts to taper off as you keep on going bigger on the pot size.