Any Stephen King fanatics out here?

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by Feelthenoize99, Jul 12, 2012.

1. I like 'Desperation' and 'The Regulators'

2. I haven't read too many of King's books, 'The Shining' is still my favorite. I read about half of the 'extended' version of 'The Stand' and ended up being distracted by other events in life, which I feel was a big mistake because it's going to be ages before I summon the patience to make it that far again if I ever want to finish it. For my next read of his though, I am planning to dive into the 'Dark Tower' series, especially after seeing portions of the graphic novel adaption. Insanely surreal stuff.

3. Can anyone recommend a good stephen king novel for a first time reader of king? ive never read any of his books but my dad has virtually everything hes written so i have access to most titles, so...what should it be?

To help narrow it down, i like biology...so maybe the stand, i saw the movie and it was good.

You really can't go wrong. I'll recommend you my favourites (that I've read so far): Pet Sematary, Blaze, 'Salem's Lot, The Dead Zone, Roadwork, Thinner, The Running Man.

5. The running man is king? wow, haha.

Also, "the deadzone"?

Wow, i had no idea king wrote those, also you've just reminded me of salems lot, i remember my dad talking about that book ill probably check that one out after i read the stand.

6.  M-I can't believe you didn't say THE STAND!@#%$@#  ..haha..

No really though..All of them are great but The Stand is my favorite-Tolkien- Cell is damn good too....coming out with the movie soon, and they better have done it right. The movie for The Stand was terrible...just bad. It's hard to do justice to his books...Green Mile and Shawshank were pretty good...Christine wasn't so bad...Carrie-meh.

lol, that's because I still have yet to read The Stand :) I can't wait to, though. There are quite a few of his big-time books that I haven't read. IT included!

8. #108 WalkingHigh, May 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2014
    My favorite would have to be Dreamcatcher.

He as an author, I really like how he makes the English language conform to his ideas. I noticed recently that some of his sentence structures are quite bizarre but he makes them work. They draw you in more than if they were just plain old regular syntactically correct sentences.

9. #109 TesseLated, May 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2014
     Sacrilege on both accounts! I used to sneak IT into my Lit and History class in HS...read it the whole fucking time...as with another huge book-Fountainhead-wow I was so into that back then.

*Oh yeah...thought of another movie...just that one called 'The Shining' ..haha...well done, hmm?

I don't think there's really been an author who's has so many books made into movies-hadn't thought of that...and yes-unfortunately-a TV series

10. Is he good? Just seen the movie It. That's it.

11. I liked the book (iT), my kids freaked out when they saw the movie.we all float bown here, you

Sent from my SM-T210R using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. "It" & "The Stand" are both epics - long reads, but a great place to start.  Modern King brilliance?  "11/22/63" ~ might just be the perfect time-travel yarn!

13. Finished the dark tower series a few weeks ago, just started IT

14. #114 EndlessVoid, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2014
    I'm a big fan of Stephen King. The newest one I read was "The Wind Through The Keyhole". Thought it was a nice addition to the The Dark Tower series. Hard to pick a fav. since I like so many, though. Fun times reading King while high :smoke:

15. #115 TesseLated, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2014
    Yes it is..wiped that out in about 2 days...

I don't think there would be any possible way to do a movie that did justice to the Dark Tower books

*IT scared the shit outta me...I was hooked 

16. A movie of The Dark Tower wouldn't work. No way a movie version could top the books. If they ever do something should be an HBO series like A Game of Thrones or something. A younger Clint Eastwood would be perfect for Roland. I've always pictured him as Roland. :metal:

17. #117 TesseLated, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2014

Those would have to be special directors..producers..etc...There's a pretty good history of fucking his books up...or at least not up to what the book actually was...King said he hates the movie of The Shining and how it turned out...etc

It's such a huge body of work that it would have to be done like that. I'm surprised that he allowed 'Under the Dome' to be made into a TV series.

Read 'Cell'...it's a great one...and being made into a movie...about how everyone gets this virus through cell phones and it changes them into something akin to a zombie...but there's band that's not infected....etc...great characters

*Mmmm..yes..let's see a good Roland...idk if any could measure up ;)...I will think on it...It definitely wouldn't be a mainstream....although Clive Barker...from 'Children of Men'...yyesssss

18. Loved Cell and Salem's Lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

19. I would start with Carrie, then Salem's Lot.

Read them by the year they came out.

20. Yep, he lives about an hour from me, I'd like to have his fence in front of his house, lot's of gargoyles on it. His house would make an awesome movie prop for a haunted house.. He does alot for the community up here to. I've seen all his movies, and read all his books.

guod