Any Stephen King fanatics out here?

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by Feelthenoize99, Jul 12, 2012.

1. have you guys checked any of his MARVEL series yet? they finished THE STAND, and are in the middle of THE DARK TOWER, they started TALISMAN but i think they only came out with the first hardcover(like 6 regular comics bound together) which is weak cause i really liked talisman....anyway if you guys like those stories check out the comics...good shit

2. stephen king is a bad motherfucker

just finished Fire Starter, dude tugged at all kinds of heartstrings all throughout

3. #23 TinTizzy, Aug 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
    I read the green mile when it first came out and that got me really into him..nightmares and dreamscapes was the one I read after that and didn't know stand by me was Steven king..the apt pupil was cool too..man I need to bust some of his books out now

Edit: I meant different seasons not nightmares and dreamscapes..but that was good too

4. Really? I thought that movie was laughably bad.

I immensely enjoy Stephen Kings books. Insomnia is a really good one, pet cemetery of course, full dark no stars is a nice collection of short stories, Misery is another one thats super good. Green Mile is one of my favorite books of all time, so fucking good.

5. The Stand is my favorite King novel, but I also really liked Rage, Firestarter, It, Carrie
    (which was the first Stephen King book I read), and oh so many more.

I've never read the Dark Tower series, but I've come across allusions to it in a few of his
    other novels. I might have to try picking it up sometime. I've got all of them on my Nook.

6. "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

I've been hooked on The Dark Tower series ever since I read those words around 1986. Every few years, I go through the whole series on audiobook.

Just picked up the newest book in the series. I'm super thrilled King found one more Mid-World story in him. I hope there is more.

[​IMG]

7. I love his movies and books. He has a crazy mind and is just nonstop when it comes to writing and creating new stuff lol.

8. I love Stephen King! My favorite book of his is Rose Madder, hands down. Ironically, I believe he mentioned that it is his least read book...

9. I don't think ive ever heard of it. I might give it a try, been reading those Song of Ice and Fire books nonstop the past year. :smoking:

10. I liked Firestarter the most of the books I've read by him so far, mostly because of the relationship between Charlie and her father.

I'm still a kid, I'm 22 ffs, but it gave me a taste of how powerful the bond between a parent and its child must be. Which I really enjoyed. He's great at making you feel strongly for the characters involved in his stories.

11. did you read talisman? its about a 13 year old with a sick mom...he is such a powerful writer...have you read the tower series thats my shit!:smoke:

12. Read the first book of the tower series, loved it - but I got a backlog of books to get through. Attacking the HP Lovecraft Cthulu stuff next, but I def wanna read the dark tower

haven't read talisman, sounds like my kinda thing :D

13. Haven't had a chance to read those yet. Rose Madder is slower paced than his other books, but well worth it :) :p

14. Just finished reading 11/22/63. And loved it so much I re-read it again after a few days.
    Stephen King is my favorite author hands down!

15. I'll definitely have to check that one out. I've only read his up to Duma Key, which was amazing :)

16. I am. My favorites are probably The Stand or The Talisman.

17. Only book of his I enjoy is Carrie.

He's far too verbose for me. I feel like 99% of his books can be whittled down 75% without all of his wordiness and needless explanations and added character arcs. Maybe I'm just picky.

So, someone suggest a novel to me. Something that is scary but won't take a million years to read :D

18. [quote name='"cookiecrisp"']Only book of his I enjoy is Carrie.

He's far too verbose for me. I feel like 99% of his books can be whittled down 75% without all of his wordiness and needless explanations and added character arcs. Maybe I'm just picky.

So, someone suggest a novel to me. Something that is scary but won't take a million years to read :D[/quote]

IT....oh wait

how about Under the Dome...oh wait

The Stand? ....oh wait.

all his greatest works are a fucking 1,000+ page book! but regardless, its the wordiness and explanation of the characters that draws me in.

i mean, IT could be whittled down to 1 page...but its more enjoyable the way it is, when you really get to feel and know the characters and the struggles that don't always pertain to the story but drag you in and make you feel as if you knew them as a kid...its strange how he can convey so much through a story to where you feel like you have grown up with the characters

sorry, i just have a huge boner for King

19. No problem man.

My post made me come across as some uneducated fool haha. I don't have an issue with long books...I just have an issue with books that add too much filler and fluff. I love Dean Koontz books, but Christ, he just goes off on tangents and introduces characters that don't matter at all, and then pulls some plot device out of his butt at the end of the book to shut the whole thing down, all while adding immense amounts of filler that really add nothing to the storyline.

Maybe it's a product of my short attention span, but as many times as I have tried to read King I just end up really bored halfway through and have to give up. I'm willing to give him another go, though. I love Carrie because it's full of character development, it's creepy, and it's to the point.

Do you have an opinion on what his scariest book is?

20. [quote name='"cookiecrisp"']

No problem man.

My post made me come across as some uneducated fool haha. I don't have an issue with long books...I just have an issue with books that add too much filler and fluff. I love Dean Koontz books, but Christ, he just goes off on tangents and introduces characters that don't matter at all, and then pulls some plot device out of his butt at the end of the book to shut the whole thing down, all while adding immense amounts of filler that really add nothing to the storyline.

Maybe it's a product of my short attention span, but as many times as I have tried to read King I just end up really bored halfway through and have to give up. I'm willing to give him another go, though. I love Carrie because it's full of character development, it's creepy, and it's to the point.

Do you have an opinion on what his scariest book is?[/quote]

love me some Koontz. Velocity was probably my favorite so far

and as far as scariest King books go, i would recommend The Shining. creepy as hell.

anyone hear of King publishing a sequel to The Shining 0.o