First Grow/Rubbermaid/CFL/Bagseed *PICS/CONSTANT UPDATES*

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by KBnugz, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Quick question guys,

I'm going on vacation next Thursday for 8 days, I can have one of my friends come over and water them but I was curious as to if anyone has any experience with water globes or something similar? I wanted to know how long they last filled with water and if the keep the soil moist for a couple of days, thanks!

2. Update Flowering day #8

Still no sign of sex yet, but they grew a total of four inches in about 10 days!

I think the single cola plant is sativa dominant but could be wrong.

I bought a Ph kit and the water from the tap is 7.0, but the runoff shows a solid 6.0 so I don't think the problem has to do with Ph. May be natural, hasn't spread to other leaves at all. Here are some pics in the meantime!

Attached Files:

3. #43 cRACKm0NKEY, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2012
    Some say actual soil pH is = run off - ( water - run off )
    So if you go by those guidelines, soil pH would be 5.0 for you

But I tend to go by this thread and chart because it tells you how to test, and the chart probably goes with those test methods. Going by that, you're slightly outside of "Marijuana's Proper Soil pH Range." But you look very close from the chart. I'd adjust it, but very slowly with each watering. At 6.0, it looks close to the limit of Nitrogen and Potassium availability. Also, I'm pretty sure you need a lot of P (Phosphorous) during flowering, and according to that chart, it's only available to the plant when the soil pH is 6.5ish to 8.0. I'd slowly raise it up to right around 6.5+. That's yellow-green (not real precise, but close is fine).

Just be careful to not adjust the pH too quickly. I've read that it can stunt growth, but I really don't know. Just better safe than sorry, and you say they're still growing. Probably also not a good idea to keep flushing just to adjust pH, when you've got slow-release nutrient soil. If it's done slowly, no harm will be done, and I think your plants will only thank you.

They're still looking good though!

4. what soil r u using these look very nice and growing really well

5. MG potting soil, went out and bought it before I did my research. Doing good other than a little def. problem that I'm almost certain cured today. Still waiting for them to show sex.

I did however fix the PH issue with baking soda!

6. damn your plants are starting to take off!

7. Good shit! They look great, but now they'll probably look even better--especially when nugs start to appear.

8. Damn these are really nice and your set up is dope. I have 3 plants (all bagseeds) going myself and am def stealing some of your ideas to build my setups. I have 2 35 gallon containers (32.5" L x 19.75" H x 17.25" W) housing 2 plants, then 2 18 gal. containers (23.5" L X 17.5" H X 15.5" W) with one which I plan to flower a bit earlier than the others. Quick question though, does the flat black spray paint on the outside/flat white spray paint on the inside block ALL light? I'm gonna be using 125-150w CFLs and want to avoid even a faint glow if possible

9. And these were bag seed? Cant wait to see the end results!

10. Yea I know man, it's crazy. They grow roughly a half inch a day, I knew it would stretch but didn't think this fast :D

I might have to tie down some of the taller ones pretty soon if they don't stop growing lol:hello:

11. I know!!! I really hope I get at least one female, two or three would be even better, but they are bag seed so we will see.

I had one growing outside, had. It might still grow but I went out the other day to see a deer had eaten a 2 foot plant down to 10", :(

12. Thanks Vanillathrilla! :wave:

What I did was I painted the inside and outside with black Krylon fusion for plastic, then went over the inside again with a can of flat white paint. I think it works as good or better than other materials IMHO. IT blocks all light from making it a glowing box lol.

13. All bag seed my friend, so I can only hope for females!!

Thanks man, it should be quite exciting for myself also, firs timer here :eek:

14. Oh sickkk aright thanks dude, I'll pick some of that up today

15. Sounds good man, best of luck to you! If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask ;)

16. Update 4 flowering day 13#

Can't tell sex yet, but the are developing ball type things near the nodes, they are very small still so I can't tell yet. I've had a def. problem which I think is Ph related, but people are saying nitrogen def. I have it in the sick plants section.

Anyways, the good news is since I have updated last they're closing in on two feet!! They have been growing super fast, almost an inch a day. I know I'm going to have to tie down the upper branches so I don't burn it with the light :D

Here are some pics of the growth so far!!

The burn on the top of the plant in the last picture is from me not checking one day and the light burnt some of it lol

Attached Files:

17. Bad news.....the bushiest plant is a male : ( NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Stupid plant, any way now I have two left which I'm not too keen on at this moment, don't know what they are, hoping for females!!!

18. #58 cRACKm0NKEY, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2012
    I was just going to say balls=male, but I guess you figured that out.

I think I learned that from the Kindergarten Cop movie. JK :p

Sad to say, but I think that's normal. When I grew bag seed, all the males were the best, and 6 of 10 were males for me. The size of my females were about half that of the size of the males. It really hard presses the fact that you should always give the little plants more light. Not only so the little guys can catch up, but also because there's a good chance that they'll be the females. I went all in with the big plants, and they got most of the light, and then I killed them.

Good Luck with the others! I've heard that with regular non-hermie bag seed, there's like a 40-50% that it will be female. Odds are that you'll get at least one female..

Edit:
    I'd say it's a good idea to check the pH now. It's probably just a tad low. Check this thread for info on how to do that and why. Soils with added nutrients usually have plenty of Nitrogen (too much for most people liking during flowering), but each nutrient is only available to your plant if the pH is in particular ranges. If you want to be lazy and cheap, you can probably just add some Dolomite Lime to the top soil, and that will push your soil's pH more toward 7. And Dolomite Lime also adds calcium and magnesium, which would probably also help. If I had to take an educated guess, I'd say your soil pH is probably just under 6 right now. You'll want about 6.5+ for flowering so that phosphorus is available. Of course the best way is to just get a test kit or meter so that you really know the pH instead of guessing. But guessing should work too if corrections are subtle enough.

19. Thanks for the moral support! Yea I have been neglecting the smaller two so I transplanted them into organic compost we've had for 25+ years. I know it's great for plants cause we've used it before and the plants loved it and thrived. Now the only two I have left are smaller so I'm hoping at least one of them is female.

I have a Ph test kit and they are on the correct levels. I've foiler fed them some bloom booster(it's all I had) they seem to be happy!

Thanks for the support, it means a lot!

I also didn't kill the make, just put it in the woods so the deer can eat it and have a slow death.

20. You could of gotten some hash out of him.. just an after thought..