Could Jesus have been just another enlightened man?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by DDV, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Something I've been wondering for ages.

2. yes and we still have have them around today.

they usually die young though.

3. Yeah that shit happened 2000 years ago.

Back then, religion = power and control. Thus resulting in hella fake religions.

4. #4 Perpetual Burn, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
    Everyone is just another enlightened being. We cannot lose the Tao.

We are the body of Christ.

Enlightened beings are hardly well enough documented to even know whether or not they die young.

Atanyrate, nothing about enlightenment has got much to do with how old one is or will have any direct impact on how and when one dies. If you are implying that there is some kind of Universal force that decides an enlightened being must die young, especially in regards to martyrdom, then you are certainly incorrect. Could you explain further why enlightened beings die young?

If anything, one is more likely to be enlightened at an older age... as the egoic mind will have had more time to learn it cannot control things. And letting go of control may allow the mind to relax into an enlightened state...

But there is no guarantee of this and dogma, practice and virtue are vanity.

5. I think it is very possible. Often times I can find bits and pieces of truth in most religion. I find it compelling to think that most religious figures like jesus could have been enlightened humans. A lot of what they talk about all sounds the same, just from another persons perspective.

I believe most of what these people taught has been twisted by those in power who want to keep the masses ignorant and under there dominion.

6. [quote name='"wtfjusthappened"']I think it is very possible. Often times I can find bits and pieces of truth in most religion. I find it compelling to think that most religious figures like jesus could have been enlightened humans. A lot of what they talk about all sounds the same, just from another persons perspective.

I believe most of what these people taught has been twisted by those in power who want to keep the masses ignorant and under there dominion.[/quote]

Precisely what I think. Enlightened beings such as Jesus shouldnt be worshipped, instead you should see them as an example; so you yourself can attain happiness and pure love, or "enlightenment".

7. To accept someone is to accept their way of life. This is why Jesus said:

"None can enter the kingdom of heaven except through me."

8. #8 Slapbassist531, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
    No.

The secular written records of history, (I know theres Josephus, but a few others in specifics I can't recall the name of), Jesus lines up with Jesus of the bible.

He was a Jew, claimed to be deity, had radical teachings, was a miracle worker, made the local pharisee (reknowned Jews) of his day mad, especially with his acceptance of sinners, and was crucified.

Buddha was an "enlightened man", and he wasn't crucified.

You don't get crucified for having "new teachings", etc.. However, if your of the judaistic faith, claiming to be their God-messiah..... That got him crucified.

Read through someone asking, and getting statistical evidence to back up answers, within the book "A Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel. Theres actually a few chapters designated towards this subject. Being "Is Jesus who He said He is, based on his behavior and what He said?", and "does secular history back up what we know about jesus" - and the evidence completely invalidates what you're speaking of Jesus just being "another dude". If we actually look at whats there, its we either accept this guy Jesus as God in the flesh, or as some insane guy. And albeit an insane guy, that does miracles.

And then it shows the arguement of Him actually having a mentality, hat bears witness with God of the OT. within the context of, "If Jesus who he said He was" and matching the personality, etc.

EDIT: as well to be noted, is the incredible VALIDITY of the NT scriptures. over 2500+ copies in numerous languages (syric, greek, etc.) that date to 300AD, which have some 99.5% purity maintained throughout 300AD+latertimes. only discrepancies are with little words, which cause no difference within meaning of texts. Theres also been a finding of a section of John 18 from around 130AD or perhaps earlier. The bible hasn't been messed with - the claim of it being fiddled with by corrupt powers is literally nonsense.

The council of nicea, whatever - didn't formulate the right books like cults nad throw the others out. These books were in rotation, and naturally filled the bracket of "canonical" books, by the church in what was already being taught and accepted by them as true works of the apostles.

EDITx2:

And Jesus was worshipped while He still lived before crucifixion. And He did not deny a single person that worshipped Him. He even says, that if we know hte Father, then we will know Jesus and accept Him - in essence, if we claim to know God and who he is, then we will recognize Jesus as Him also. The disciples asked him, "show us the father", and he told them they've already seen the father. If they recognize Jesus, they recognize the father, and vice versa. Son of Man was a name from the messianic prophecy within daniel. One is only within the body of Christ through acceptance of Him as God and Savior for your sins. No other way to have a relationship with God.

9. ^As far as I know, Jesus never claimed to be the Messiah or God in the flesh. People thought he was the Messiah simply because his behavior and teachings. So, they asked him if he was the Messiah and Jesus simply replied, "I have come to fulfill the prophecies."

Which is obviously what anyone ever has come to do in a theistic sense (you know, God being 'in control' and all.) :p

His answer is a blatant display of non-dual (enlightened) understanding. Just because others take it to mean he is the Messiah, isn't Jesus' fault. As we've noticed in this forum, people have accused Jesus of being gay despite the fact that the Bible does not state he had sex with anyone. So, what other people say doesn't really mean anything...

BTW, Jesus is a fiction character from a story book... so he wasn't enlightened or the Messiah- he is a metaphor... for Humanity.

Christ means enlightenment. If you know what enlightenment is (non-dual realization.)

10. Still does. Look at the catholic church for instance. What do they own? How many are swayed by a single man?

11. ^The Catholic Church is the wealthiest private entity in the world... worth an estimated $300 billion. :eek:

IIRC

12. Of course he COULD have simply been another human being, in fact, my personal belief is that yes he was in fact simply human. Not the son of God, or even supernatural in nature.

Simply a really smart guy with cool stuff to say

13. How do we know (or not know) that some random dude sitting in his basement right now may be a messiah?

14. He could have been an enlightened person.. he could have been a smelly primitive man from the middle east.. he could have not even existed.. We don't know, we won't know.

15. From Wikipedia on "Christian" - "Christian" derives from the Koine Greek word Christ, a translation of the Biblical Hebrew term Messiah.

And another specifically from the word, "Christ" - comes from Χριστός (christos)-meaning "anointed one"[5]- (and further on) n the Greek Septuagint, christos was used to translate the Hebrew מָשִׁיחַ (Mašíaḥ, messiah), meaning "[one who is] anointed."[.

Christ means "Anointed one" and the word for it, was used in exchange for the hebrew term Messiah. The Jews have numerous prophecies regarding the messiah. I believe there was a sermon that Jesus preached himself, when He opened the scroll to the book of Isaiah, and said, "today, these words have been fulfilled within your presence".

-----------------------------------------------------------
    So again to your claims, sorry, but no.

16. "We're sick and tired of your ism-skism game, dyin' and goin' to heaven in a Jesus name,
    We know when we understand that Almighty God is a living man,
    You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time."

Can you find me any non-Biblical proof that Jesus even existed?

As far as I know, the Bible is the only source... which doesn't really count...

17. Whoa bob marley quote up in here. I knew I recognized it from somewhere ;)

18. There is a reason they call it the christ conciousness nowadays.

Jesus is thought to be an enlightened man at the highest level - something we are all on the journey to become. Knowledge (n) was not ready for what he had to say and teach back then and unfortunately for the last 2000 years we have been suffering under the bastardization of what he had to say.

There have been other fully enlightened beings who take their time to come to earth to try and help us out. St Germain (sp) I believe was one of them. Budda of course was another.

Enlightened beings pop into our dimension every now and then but so far it doesnt seem as if they have made any big assistance or help. Jesus kind of fucked things up for 2 millenium- thats a pretty big accomplishment lol

19. I doubt it.

In 2000 years, people will be asking the same question about Joseph Smith or David Koresh.

20. I doubt it.