My First(ish) Grow!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by AquaEgo, Jul 9, 2012.

1. As the title suggests, this is my first(ish) grow. I say first(ish) because I had one growing before in my room, but it looked pretty sickly, so I decided to pull it. I had it in a 3" diameter clay pot with yard dirt, taped to my lamp so it could be as close to my CFL bulb as possible, lol. It was tall and skinny and had to be held up by a dowel rod, so I pulled it to put it out of its misery. But, I really wanted to try my hand at growing again and give it an honest go, so at the beginning of June (I think the 3rd, but no later than the 5th), I decided to try again. I germinated a few seeds by soaking them in a jar of water for 48 hours and then moved them to a plate with soaked paper towels underneath and covering them for another 2 days. Then, I filled an old coffee container with Miracle Grow potting soil and planted a seed. I planted several others in smaller pots, but animals and/or bugs got them and the coffee tin one is the only survivor. I've been moving it back and forth between our overgrown fire pit and the tall weeds against the fence (I use the foliage to hide it from the neighbors and my dad and sister. I'm 20 and unfortunately still live at home or else I'd be growing indoors. And my dad and didn't mind the plant in my room, but after I pulled it and decided to try again in my room, he said no, so I moved it outside and kept it hidden.) for the last month (I planted it June 3rd or so and it's July 9th now). I just move it to whichever spot has the most sunlight. I give it about 1/2 a cup of water every day or two, depending on how hot it is and how dry the soil feels (I live in NE Ohio). I've read a lot about growing, but there's nothing like trying it for yourself. I know over-watering is a common problem among beginners, so I'm trying to avoid that mistake. It's looking pretty healthy from what I can tell. I'm not giving it any fertilizers or using insecticides or anything at all. Basically, if it costs $$$, it's not happenin'. I'm completely broke and can't afford to give it what it deserves, so I just planted it, water it, and let nature take care of the rest. I've been thinking about leaving it in the same container but changing the potting soil, but I'm not sure just yet. I was a little concerned that I may have planted it too late in the year, but I did a little research last night and from what I read it won't be huge (Which is good, it's a guerilla grow), but that it will be fine and should produce some bud. Also, a quick note: I'm growing from bagseed, so I doubt the quality will be great (I always get Midds, a.k.a. crap, or Dro a.k.a. slightly better than crap. No idea what strain or species it is. It's hard to come by name-brands here and if they are in town, they're too expensive for me to buy :/ ), nor do I know what sex it is. I was reading a bit about telling the sex of the plant last night, and by all accounts except one, you have to wait until the flowering stage to tell (And Idk when the flowering stage would begin here in NE OH...). However, that one account that said differently stated that you can tell as early as ten days old. They said that if the branches alternate going up the stem, it's female, but if they are level with each other, it's male. They also said this works every time. Can anyone verify this? If that IS the case, which I'm hoping it's NOT, I have a male plant that will be all but useless. I doubt it will even get big enough to make hash with, nor do I have the equipment to make hash... But, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that that dude was wrong and my baby turns out to be one hott mama ;) I'm only growing for personal use and I don't expect a very big yield. Just to have a little bud to smoke and to get at least a bit of experience in growing, while having the fun and satisfaction of seeing a plant go from seed to full-fledged plant to my bong under my tender, loving care. I'll be posting a few pics on here that show a few different angles of my plant, the plant in the overgrown fire pit, the weeds by the fence, and the backyard as a whole to show my limited grow area. As soon as I get my own place, I'm planning on starting a small-scale indoor grow-op. Maybe 10 plants + a mother, but that's a long way off yet. For now, I'll keep updating and posting pics every week or two. If you have any tips and/or ideas regarding my grow, I would greatly appreciate it if you posted them in the comment section. Thanks!

Attached Files: