Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Why does the best weed come from california?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Bwade, Jul 9, 2012.

1. is it climate or what . I know its true but why. need some ppl dat been chief'n for a while to answer

2. Pretty sure because in Northern California, the Emerald Triangle I think is the best place to grow weed. Lots of land, hard to been seen growing from above I believe and the soil is really good for growing there along with the sunlight, etc. That's just what I think is the reason though. I could be wrong.

3. i thought it was because it was warm enough to grow all year long but then again florida is nice all year long and they dont have great weed so its prob just because of how lenient they are with the medical mmj and all that

4. Well, you could find amazing bud almost anywhere.. Cali just has plentiful high end bud.
    Californians also have free reign to grow as much bud as they want and can perfect certain growing techniques.

The best bud you'll find is typically home grown. MMJ is often grown for profit.

5. Oh No! :eek: Say it isn't so! :(

6. Same reason all the best Meth comes from Montata, the Illuminati.

7. probaly because of capitalisim.....
    since its legal there, for profits want a good product, so they do their best to make a high quality product

8. excuse me...best weed ever comes from my closet...

/thread

9. It's due to the history of the state and the legal climate.

10. I can't seem to help it, these threads/assumptions just make me giggle! :p

They don't have the best weed, or the worst weed, it's like any location; there's a mix of both.

I'll probably end up rambling on a bit, so be prepared for a mini history lesson if you're actually interested in a well-thought-out explanation. :D

I'm guessing (hoping) that you meant, why do they seem to have or produce, not the best, but more 'good weed' in general, than most other US states.

Well it's simple. It's a numbers game.

Not only is California a long-established medical state, but they have the numbers in terms of overall population.

That, and many states have much harsher penalties for any amount of recreational or medicinal use, large or small.

If you divided Cali and its population up, into between 10 or over 30 smaller states (ie. roughly the size of all other states, in the US), their production would be divided by roughly that much, as well.

There are MANY more growers, because there are MANY more people, but also they have;

A) Medical laws, B) more hydro shops, and C) more genetics available without resorting to the internet, so they produce a higher volume, of decent bud, obviously more than a state with a fraction of the population, and without a medical community.

But still, does that make it the best, or better weed than any other state?

Not at all!

The best weed still comes down to 1) genetics, and 2) individual growers.

If the single grower with the theoretically 'best' clone-only strain, and the best skills, moved out of California (assuming he ever lived there in the first place).... then would California still have 'the best' weed?

Nope! :p

But with more local growers, and with California being the third largest state land-wise (Texas and Alaska, being the other two) and having the largest population of the entire country by over 30%, they obvious produce more weed in general, because they have the most people in the country, AND the most land, not only that, but its land that falls within an optimal growth climate for cannabis.

Assuming for the sake of math, that their skills and strains were equal, and their individual output was equal as well...... who would grow more weed:

The team or state representing 30 growers?

Or the team with 20...or the team with 5... or the team with less than 1 grower, population-wise, versus Cali? :p

The one with the most man-power (and with some the softest or most easily-escapable local laws) makes the most sense. :)

And their numbers, have numbers...

They very likely have more growers per 'x'-number of citizens, than most US states which still have harsh penalties, for tiny quantities.

All that, combined with being the most heavily established medical state, and having a more relaxed outlook and less secrecy among growers and buyers, means there's a bit less schwag in circulation in their communities.

Rather than saying they have 'the best' weed, a more accurate assessment, would be to say that they are known for having less bad weed.

That last bit can be said for many medical and decriminalized communities around the country and globe, though.

So in the end, it's still a numbers game.. once you start dividing the state up into smaller population segments, similar in size to Colorado for instance (it would take dividing Cali's population into over 7 separate states), and suddenly, they're no longer doing anything all that special!

A state that big, with a long-standing medical cannabis community, to boot, damn well better be producing a decent volume of bud!

----

However!

As far as populations goes, and according to the most accurate yearly studies we have....

Tennessee actually produces more weed weight-wise, per each resident, than California!

They produce over twice as much bud as California, per each existing resident.

Kentucky does, too, as well as several others!

The math....

Tennessee:

Population - 6,403,353 Plants - 6,779,093 Avg. Weight-per-plant - 199.45g

Total - 211.2g Produced Per Each Resident

California:

Population - 37,691,912 Plants - 21,667,609 Avg. Weight-per-plant - 180.51g

Total - only 103.8g Produced Per Each Resident

(for plant references - What US State Produces the Most Marijuana Per Person? | Marijuana News | CannaCentral And for the populations - List of U.S. states and territories by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

----

One of the big reasons behind the 'Cali = Best Bud' myth:

There is a common misconception among younger smokers, that simply due to the medical community, the best weed simply 'must' come from Cali.... screw genetics, and grower capability. :p

Knowing this, some shady dealers like to tag the words "Cali grown" to any good bud, regardless where it was grown so they can improve sales and justify an abnormally increased mark-up.

Fabricating the length it went to get to the end-consumer, is a painfully easy way to take a product that you already have in your possession, and artificially increase it's value.

If the place they claim their bud came from, is across state lines, and even better if it has a medical community, their profit per gram can triple or more! Even if the quality is actually shite!

They way the dealers see it:

" It's good enough bud, and it (supposedly) traveled such a distance, so now you have to pay up, to make it worth the effort. ;) "

But the bud's supposedly 'exotic origin', is all the more believable, to the end-user, if the quality is actually quite good.

And so, the myth grows, even though the 'best Cali bud' their buyers ever smoked, may very well have come from Montana, or Rhode Island.

----

But the very 'best' weed, could be anywhere on the planet, regardless who grows the most...

It could be that it's in Idaho mixed in secretly with a bunch of the local potatoes, or it could be in a jungle in some isolated village over seas, or for all we know, it could be a strain that was bred in some random dudes closet in France.

That being said, just from my own personal experience in decades of searching, both the best bud in general AS WELL as the most powerful strain that I've ever had, personally, I actually had on the west coast.....

But it was the west coast of Australia. :D

I had the strongest weed I've ever smoked there, and after sampling one strain, after another, after a nother, I realized the lowest quality bud in general was much better than in Cali, or any other US territory. And while there, I also was fortunate enough to dwell within the most relaxed cannabis culture of any medicinal or non-medicinal state, that I'd ever spent any amount of time in before, or since.

An example of how good the weed is there 'in general':

There is no big medicinal culture, and yet most of the younger kids there (born in the 80's), didn't know what a cannabis seed looked like.

Now we all know that decent, or even VERY good bud can have a seed or two, but in terms of generalities, these kids had been smoking for years, just like the people in their 20's - 30's here, and had never seen a single seed in the the best OR worst weed sold 'en masse' in their local communities!

It was such a shock to me, that by the second time I heard someone say it, I immediately started asking most of the people I met if their experience was similar... turned out, it was.

The older guys said the growing got good, and the seedy commercial weed died out ("not that it was ever bad in the first place," according to them) around the late 70's through the early 80's.

The few of the younger folks who did recognize my seeds for what they were (I brought maybe half my genetics over there with me, to do some breeding), only recognized them from the internet.

At least one gal said; "oh yeah, you Americans have those in your bud all the time, right?" :p

The east coast (of Aus) tended to have more average home-grown bud, and more people were aware what seeds were, and what they looked like. The mix and awareness was a bit more like it is in Cali, which may or may not have anything to do with Sydney being a popular tourist spot, and one of the only Aussie cities that most Americans recognize... but still, at least you never had to deal with pressed, bricked, bulk-style-schwag over there. :D

Sorry to ramble on!

Hopefully it was at least educational and a bit interesting, and that it helped 'demystify' some of the Cali bud craze. :p

11. To hell with Canada.

I'm moving to Sydney.

12. I thought BC had the best.

13. Fuck, now I wanna move to smithton australia

14. I don't think it's the climate as a lot of good weed is grown indoors, It's pretty obvious to be fair if you actually thought about it, weed is legal in California so obviously it's a lot easier to grow and theres dispensaries for it.

15. The best weed comes from the best growers.

16. Because you believe in stereotypes like a child believes in Santa Clause

17. I live in Cali and I'm just gonna say , I have NEVER seen schwag that looked like it came from Mexico. Even the bad quality stuff out here is not schwag ,but it comes down to the grower though.

18. IMO it is the grower, the environment, and the plant. California has nothing to do with it, but in Cali, everybody and their mother grows. Two of my neighbors are growing hundreds of plants with schools all around. I just light up a fatty and watch the raids from my picknick table.

But it smells so good. My plants stay locked away, underground.

19. it doesn't.

20. Cause we mofo California and we like to smoke dank