how long is it safe to keep a male?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by 72firebird396, Aug 5, 2006.

1. i have my two plants in the back yard, the female started showin its white hairs, and the male has the little balls forming, but there not even hangin down yet. i wanted to keep the male to polinate just a bud or two for a couple of seeds. so i was wondering how long can i keep them near eachother? there in pots so ill just bring the male indoors. whens the best time to take pollen?

2. I am not sure because I don't keep males. When I sexed my plants I pulled the males.

3. Kill all the males, if you want pollen, seclude that plant somewhere. Pollen can travel over 200 miles, so dont think putting it 100 ft away is going to do much. If you want to collect the pollen, wait for them to get a bit bigger, then kill your male, and be very careful disposing of it (tightly sealed garbage bag). But keep a few branches with male pollen sacs, and put them in a ziplock and wait for the pollen to collect in the bag, then once you have all your pollen, dispose of your remaining branches, and viola.

OR

When the sacs get bigger, cover the plant in a bag, and wait for them to naturally explode, and the pollen will stick to the sides of the bag.

- Vince

4. i know pollen can travel far, i meant i was just gonna bring the male inside into my room. thanks for the advice though, now i should have seeds for next season, unless this weed turns out to be bammer. its just bag seed. im happy though cause my friend just gave me 2 seeds he had from his sack of grand daddy purple :D i think im gonna experiment with a fluro and cfl indoor grow

5. More power to you, good luck with pollinating your flowers, and with your future grow =]

- Vince