I need advice on outdoor growing..

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by NealCaffery, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Alright, i live with my dad, and i told him we could save money on weed by growing..He just doesnt want me using hydro..SO, i came to thinking..

I have 2 40gallon rubbermaid containers like this
    [​IMG]

(kinda)

And i was wondering if i could just put a pot in there, and maybe make like a plexiglass lid for the top, and just bring it outside into the backyard during the day..And at night, put the original lid on and keep it in my room..

My backyard gets lots of sun..Would this work?

All feedback is very much appreciated!

2. That should work. Just put something to reflect light in the box and throw a small fan or something for ventilation otherwise it's goign to get to hot. It's like when you leave ur car outside in the sun on a hot day, and when u finally get in, it's like 130 degrees. You don't want that happening to your babies. You'd probably be better off just taking the top off and do away with the plexi glass.

You also better pray for a girl with only one plant.

3. Yes that will work just fine, just make sure the room you put it in at night is not that much colder than what it is used to outside, possibly put it in the garage with florescent light by it to keep it from budding then back out at night.

If you want you can build an outside grow box like we did. See picture below.

i made this big because i have alot of mothers for differnent strains and when i take clones i take ALOT! so this box is 8ft long, 4 feet deep by 4 ft high, completely paint flat white (reflects much better than gloss white) and has :

On the top in picture :
    2x 300w flourescents, 1x 100MH (in the center)

On each side pointing at 45 degree angles over the plants :
    2x 150w hps security lights

for a total of 1000w dual spectrum. For ventilation i have 1 large fan from the house turned on high setting on one end at the top to remove hot air and on the opposite end i have a 3ft x 6 inch rectangle cut out with screen over it at the bottom, this creates GREAT airflow from the bottom to the top of the plants during the night hours.

In this box they grow just as fast as if its out in the sun so, its not just dormant during the night hours but actually growing as well.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

4. Thanks guys..My dad wanted it to be kinda..stealthy i suppose..

And the plexi glass idea was more for like bugs and w/e else..

5. Understandable :) but you can build a box anywhere and make it stealth as well. :)

6. Lmao tru tru, also..I dont have a lot of money to put into it, thats why i figure ill just use the rubbermaids...My step mom works in the Garden Center at Wal-Mart lmao..

Shes gettin the pots and soils..I told her to get some tomato plant soil..Was that a smart ideaa?

7. No not a smart idea because when you say tomatoes to people working in garden centers they automatically think Miracle grow...

Get some regular non nuted potting soil, if they have it buy Shultz potting mix.

8. Hey, im not sure if i understand your plan exactly, but if your planning on making a closed system. You gotta understand a couple things. The enclosure will keep the humidity very high, which means that it will be easy to overwater them.( the moisture will rise out of the ground and evaporate, then condense on the ceiling then fall back down onto the ground. If you add too much water to such a sytem youll end up with root rot very quickly.

Also, weed gets pretty big. Too make sure it fits inside youre gonna have to start LSTing and topping pretty early.

Just some things to keep in mind.

Personally, i wouldnt suggest a closed system like this. Bugs WILL get in, regardless. If its a closed system that means more chance for a single type of bug to dominate, like indoors with aphids or spidermites. The great thing about outdoors is that you get predator insects along with the unwanted pests they feed on. In a closed system you may end up with just the pests.

For smell id suggest planted other really aromatic flowers and plants to mask the scent. I would almost guarantee you that even in a closed system, unwanted scents will still escape.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the grow! :)

9. Thanks for the info guys, ill take some stuff into serious consideration.

10. For your soil, don't get anything with time release ferts. It does a number on ur babies. Look for something organic like dier said