The Mysterious Bagseed Adventure

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Jörmungandr, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Umm...wait a minute...WHOSE journal is this again? :confused_2::poke:

2. I agree. I'm a bagseed grower too, and I love my little girls. :) I hope to one day become a breeder, but for now, I'm happy with what I can get. I also agree that this is more of an art form than anything else.

One of the things I love about bagseeding is that you never know what you're going to get. It's always exciting to see the natural differences you get from plant to plant.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I'm posting with the intent of actually staying on topic and hopefully adding something of value.
    Judging from my limited knowledge, I can start about 100 seeds and wind up with enough budding females to keep me occupied. I'm just trying to maximize their potential with my lighting and space. Too many other bills to catch up on to consider upgrading for quite some time.
    Since they have no recorded heritage and are being culled for females, this is the only group photo they will ever have. This represents my potential gardens for the foreseeable future. I've been told that you can tell sex simply by seed characteristics but as with everything else I'm skeptical.
    :D
    My pet names from left to right: Sobrieweed, Pink Stonehenge, Jethro Bodine, and Bagalicious

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bagalicious! ha!

I name my plants, which is fun since each other is different. I spent many a day sexing my beloved Short Round hoping to see a pistil. But alas, Short Round turned out to have weener parts. So sad.

The worse part about growing from bagseed is playing the sexing game. But logically, you win out if you just play your odds. Statistically, you have a 50/50 chance of any plant being male or female. I tend to narrow things down throughout my grow.

I have limited grow space, so it works for me. I had some old ass bag seed, and planted 20 strong looking seeds. 9 become seedlings. Out of those 9, only 8 were strong enough to go through veg. Of those 8 only 6 were strong enough to sex. Of those 6, 3 ended up having weener parts.

Those 3 are now 4 weeks away from harvest, and they look beautiful. Here they are 3 weeks into flower.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. Beautiful! :hello:
    You obviously take really good care of your ladies...you should be proud!

6. #26 Jörmungandr, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2012
  7. #27 sisterstorm, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2012
    well, the advantage of growing in a bathtub, is I don't need to move them to rinse the soil really good. Really, I should have put them in bigger pots after sexing, but I got lazy. I did have most of them in bigger pots, but most of those ended up having weener parts.

There are some advantage to a smaller pot. Easier to move, so if you need to do any pruning, it's easier. A smaller pot will also limit the size of your plant, which is a concern for me, since I have limited space. These guys are about 3 feet tall. Any bigger and I'd have real lighting issues that I'd rather not worry about right now.

I also prefer to water more frequently, than to have a ton of soil retain a ton of water that takes days and days to dry. It makes it easier for me to keep track of things. It's more work too, so there are disadvantages to it as well.

Here's the girls from about a week ago. I'm entering week 5 of flower now.

[​IMG]

8. #28 Jörmungandr, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2013
    All that wiggling is with the fan turned off; them girls is jumpin'!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29KB9v4_HPU&feature=plcp
    Seriously, I need some advice on nutes; first grow did ok with just bread and water. I have on hand the good old Schultze 10-15-10 and some orchid bloom booster 11-35-15/ would either be of any use or should I go to the store and get something specific?

9. Safe to say there is a heavy sativa in one and more indica in the other; either way I can't be happier with this sweet little bud as the leader of the pack.

Attached Files:

10. I mentioned the names of the seeds a few posts earlier and felt like giving the background for each, beyond whimsy. These names are as meaningless to others as I view the accepted strains of popular culture, but this will offer my own heritage to these bastardized castoff orphans.
    The first was Sobrieweed, so named because of my lifelong struggle with self control that led to years and years of the old chug a lug; life without alcohol is indeed sweeter and clearer and I will probably never understand the rationale that I've used to justify it's place in my life. I have had a relationship with weed that is as old as that with alcohol but beyond the legal and societal repercussions, weed has never been the demon that alcohol is to me. Fortunately, I've found the strength of will to abstain since my gall bladder was removed last November and whether it is weakness of character or not, weed has provided a safer avenue to my own peace of mind.
    The second was Pink Stonehenge, christened for the polished rock that appears behind them. Born on the realization that I could, through patience and self control, stand that little stone on it's end thereby bringing it in alignment with the forces of gravity just as the forces of nature bring harmony to my soul. The permanence of stone and the transience of nature combined in the mysterious womb of my little green seeds.
    The third was Jethro Bodine, if you look closely you would see the single hair trapped inside that little vial of seeds. That and memories are all I have left of the kitty who saw me through ten years of personal turmoil and growth; though he left this earth his spirit will live on in the joy and contentment provided by the potential of these seeds named in his honor.
    The last was bagalicious because I find all weed simply delicious.

11. #31 Jörmungandr, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2012
    This popped up over night; undaunted, my females slowly grind away as these overeager young bucks show their hand and allow me to pluck them before they ever open; I pray I remain so vigilant as my guard kitty Stingray never says anything but "Meow!"
    :)

Attached Files:

12. Wow, your rudeness is out of line. I hope a random stranger walks up and slaps the shit out of you bro.

13. [quote name='"LeftHandLead"']

Wow, your rudeness is out of line. I hope a random stranger walks up and slaps the shit out of you bro.[/quote]

I really don't care what you think, and I am not your "bro" . If you dont like what i have to say, then i suggest taking advantage of gc's ignore feature. It works well to avoid people like you. I may not have been polite, but i wouldnt wish anyone here be hit for any reason. Classy.

Gc actually has a section for poetry and other assorted things. Bumping post for no reason is much more rude to the people who actually try to read threads for the purpose of gaining information and knowledge. Pointless bumping is poor etiquette on any forum, and against the rules on most.

To the op, I do apologize for the post qouted, I should have phrased myself much more tactfully.

14. To my mind, a thread is the home away from home for the OP and all who enter should be respectful and courteous as long as they feel welcome. You are more than welcome here; although I take all criticism to heart, I won't close that heart to others. This makes two people more deeply offended than I. Your comment, while brusk, only conveyed your feelings. Perhaps when you feel a post is dreck or misplaced, you could follow your own advice and ignore as well. It seems as though this whole tangent is, as you put it, off topic.
    I'm not vain enough to think I will reveal something about growing or curing to have any earth shattering impact. I'm just along for the ride and babbling from the backseat til we get there; weed is in the driver's seat. As far as this thread teaching anyone anything, I'd like to hope it is how to get along.

15. [quote name='"mrjerky"']
    To my mind, a thread is the home away from home for the OP and all who enter should be respectful and courteous as long as they feel welcome. You are more than welcome here; although I take all criticism to heart, I won't close that heart to others. This makes two people more deeply offended than I. Your comment, while brusk, only conveyed your feelings. Perhaps when you feel a post is dreck or misplaced, you could follow your own advice and ignore as well. It seems as though this whole tangent is, as you put it, off topic.
    I'm not vain enough to think I will reveal something about growing or curing to have any earth shattering impact. I'm just along for the ride and babbling from the backseat til we get there; weed is in the driver's seat. As far as this thread teaching anyone anything, I'd like to hope it is how to get along.[/quote]

Awesome post mrjerky :)

• Like Like x 1

16. You're crying about him bumping his own thread? Yeah bro, you deserve a...

[​IMG]

And when you get up....

[​IMG]

And I would laugh!

17. #37 Jörmungandr, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017

18. Advice slowly sinking in, I've dismantled the miniature Mengelasium and the cruel experiment has ended. However with the root system so well entwined, I am not going to suffer them another transplant; the girls from the tanning booth are now free range. I've started individually LSTing the Solo Cup Gals and have pretty much evened the canopy for now. BTW the pine tree came down a day or two ago; just never seemed to gain any momentum. A few pics of the current floor plan.

Attached Files:

19. did you pull all those seeds out of weed you had to BUY?

damn man, ive been smoking for 15 years now and can count on one hand the amount of times i've paid for weed with seeds in it.

20. That last comment stung, even through my crocodile skin; I've been smoking for 40 years and seeds have always been along for the ride at my end of the broken down single wide trailer park of life. My more recent hook ups (Lol, recent meaning for the last 20 years) have always offered the option of ever more expensive "Kind Bud", but I've always bought in bulk so to speak. 3 hundo for a 1/4 #/ steady price, solid connection, no hassles. I compare that to triple to five times for the top shelf and I've always made do with the scrub. I do envy those who can rationalize this cost increase and that's what is giving me the will and determination to make my own. I've sampled the sweeter fruits along the way and it is wildly better than what I use every day; that is just more motivation to make mine the product I can't afford. I just happen to feel that all weed possesses the potential of these overblown strains, given the right conditions. Arguments have already been made to me that because my weed has seed, that is must inherently be an inferior product; my feeling on that is that seeded buds are heavier and ultimately the end customer is paying by weight/ pure and simple equation for an opportunistic grower and seller.