Anyone have any experience with aquaponics?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by canabaman, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Well... Everything is going great with the grow, better than I thought.

I've got soo much deep green growth, the big WTF in the middle is insanely big. It looks like 20-25 small plants together... Lots of lst and topping... I haven't had much success with fiming, maybe I'm not doing it right.

The closer I get to flowering, the more worried I am about the nutes... In order for this to be a complete success I need to be able to switch from 18/6 to 12/12 and have the plants produce a good amount.

Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts about whether or not the system can handle the extra demand for nutes when I change to 12/12?

2. Last night I added a small amount of chilated iron to my system. I'll be filming another video showing you guys the results after two days of it. The water isn't clear anymore but the fish don't seem to mind. That's really all that matters.

3. heres another update!
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iupU5w7dpYY&feature=g-upl]Aquaponics Cannabis Grow update 2 - YouTube[/ame]

4. I love seeing these updates. I can not wait to try this out myself!

5. Thank you. And everyone else that reads this, thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings.

This update is short sweet and to the point... The update actually has no need for words... Let the picture tell all the story, 1,000 words worth.

ForumRunner_20120705_232041.png

6. Looking good Canabaman, nice and healthy looking!

7. [quote name='"katattack"']Looking good Canabaman, nice and healthy looking![/quote]

Thank you kat

8. aquajuana, I like your setup a lot. I saw something at the store a couple days ago and thought of your setup. It was an additive for pond plants, more of a suppliment, sorry I can't spell I'm a little high at the moment...

I'll see if I can find it again and get more info for you, I do remember it said it replaced the lacking nutrients that pond plants need to survive. It might be worth looking into.

Keep up the updates, I want to see how your system handles the extra hunger for nutes.

9. Please do find out for me. I have added chelated iron and worms to help. But please do let me know if you find out any more info on it.

10. Please do find out for me. I have added chelated iron and worms to help. But please do let me know if you find out any more info on it.

11. I'm starting to think ima set me up a table seeing your guys setups it might give me some thin to do tending to the fish and stuff while waiting on all my soil ugh I hate how all I get to do is water and wait lol...no but both of yalls setups are lookin great

12. Dude I like it!

I am an avid fish keeper/breeder and have been for the past 5+ years. When I do hydroponics I do so with the roots submerged and lots of bubbles, much like a bubble cloner. I also have planted aquariums that I fertilize, but never at the nutrient levels I use for hydroponics.

I have never kept tilapia but there are a few things I can share with you

Some things I can suggest as far as the fish go. Some tilapia species I think would be good for this are Oreochromis niloticus or Oreochromis mossambicus, known as the nile tilapia and Mozambique cichlid respectively. They can tolerate high temps and relatively low temps (from what I read 46-100F). Nile tilapia are good eats but they get rather massive 21" and grow relatively quickly, the Mozambique cichlid gets about 14". The advantage of a smaller fish is a smaller tank. Just remember that tilapia will nibble on the roots of the plants, but not nearly as much as goldfish.

Speaking of goldfish, I highly advise keeping them with other fish. Goldfish have a primitive digestive track and produce way more ammonia than do other fish. Goldfish are also carp, you can bet they will mow through the roots given the opportunity. They also spread disease, their waste stresses other fish and weakens their immune system, leaving them open to infection (ich might be the most common but fish TB is not out of the question. Look up fish TB, if you are eating the fish you should know about it).

Ammonia (and nitrites) is highly toxic to fish but is converted from ammonia to nitrites and finally to nitrAtes by a good biological filter. Nitrates are readily available for plant uptake and fish should be able to tolerate them in excess of 60PPM (although I keep my breeding tanks lower then 20ppm but they have no plants). Remember nitrates won't be taken out by the filter, only the plants will take it.

For keeping the fish, go with well over 500g in volume(this one looks decent, but 1000g would be much better imo). The fish per gallon or inch per gallon rule is utter rubbish. From what I understand, your tilapia will spawn in the substrate by digging craters and may show lots of aggression toward each other in the process. The females will also hold the eggs/fry in their mouth till they reach a certain size. I generally take the eggs from my fish that do this and hatch the eggs separately in an egg tumbler.

Filtration is also imperative, if you are trying to eat these fish, Im going to assume you will be stocking the tank to the brim, aim for 6-10x volume turnover per hour. Air pumps are not always necessary, but if you do use them, check out air driven sponge filters, great and cheep mechanical filtration.

Also, if you are having trouble getting the fish you want. Aquabid.com is a good place to look. Buying fish online isn't so bad, I do it and most people have a refund policy for DOAs.

13. New update up. 6 weeks for the pineapple express!

14. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OyEzvA1XUg&feature=g-upl]Aquaponics Cannabis Grow update 3 - YouTube[/ame]

15. Update: I haven't been very active posting much in here... I've been dealing with medical issues and withdrawals switching from one prescription to another...

Not much to update, the plants are doing great as you can see in the pics. I've done some knot training, I guess that's what you would call it.

16. Your plants are SO bushy. Mine are both very long. Maybe it's because Of all the trial and error I had done with lighting throughout their growing. The LED has given the best results so far and my younger plant is looking more bushy as a result. Hope you get control of your medical situation.

17. I'm not tryin to be rude but I've heard leds produce light harvests is this true? And can hydro help solve this if it is true