Smoking weed everyday - is it a crutch or totally healthy?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by engadine, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Here is my two cents.

Weed was deemed immoral by 'man' not the planet.  It was here long before we were and will continue to be here long after we leave.  It's a medicine that you take everyday and should look at it as such.  I would much rather be consuming something straight from the planet than something manufactured in a lab somewhere.  Any stipulations you have about smoking everyday was put in place by modern society.  It frowns upon something natural and harmless(Yes, it is the safest substance on this planet if not smoked) and puts something like alcohol in a light that seems to glorify it.

It has been instilled by parents and media that weed is some drug that makes you stupid and is only for stupid people.  But really those who smoke it have done their OWN research, come to their OWN decisions based on their OWN logic and experiences.  Those who believe everything they hear without researching and believing it as the truth is modern society.   I believe responsible weed users are actually smarter than this close minded society.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with smoking it everyday.  It's all in your head.  Stupid stigmas put in place by people that don't do their own research and don't think for themselves.

make your own decisions based on your own logic not what other people say
    If you look at it like this you can 'justify' it in your own mind if you need to. 
    It's medicine.  Shouldn't be treated any differently than the junk we call pills.  It's okay to give your kids ritalin to close their mind and we have NO IDEA what is in that garbage, but not okay to smoke something that we KNOW came straight from this planet and we KNOW has NEVER killed anyone

2. #242 stunys, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2014
    That was a really interesting perspective. I love this topic because im taking a Sociology course in college. The controversy of wether weed is good or bad, society's norms involving weed, and the image of a stoner. I have argued weed to many people using my own life as a example of how weed can bring out the best in people. The perspective you had on the topic opened my eyes. We know where weed came from, and nobody has ever died from smoking to much like people do with taking pills. How can we self medicate ourselves with anti depresents and other medications when the world made something natural for us to feel better.

The big three drugs are alcohol, tobacco, and weed.... why is it that the most beneficial drug and the least harmful drug being the one that is illegal? Because society looks at tobacco smoking "cool" and people say that alcohol has been a tradition for so many years that taking it away only causes violence.

oh shit im so high I just had a though, mid thought....

-during the prohibition of alcohol people reacted in violent outrages and criminal activity. This gave the government no choice but to regulate and legalize it.
    -Now we're in the prohibition of weed. Weed however does the opposite, it makes you calmer and more passive.

So is the government telling us that violence is the fastest way to get something changed?

my mind is so blown right now...

3. That is the difference between alcohol and weed and why I personally don't drink.

I like to be peaceful and mellow not violent.

Too many times you hear of someone beating up their wife or stabbing someone because they'd been drinking.  Lets not forget drunk driving....makes me sick.

4. I found myself in the same position and found myself doing some stupid shit just for weed. So I quit cold turkey for a month and now I smoke a looot less. I find that I appreciate more and enjoy the high better now

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. i think a lot of it is about when in the day you do it. For someone who wakes up and tokes continually for the day its most likely a crutch (although theres exceptions) but someone who tokes every evening but not in the day is probably less likely to see it as a crutch... Its all personal everyones different i dont believe its psychologically healthy to be stoned all the time though

6. Moderation makes the times you smoke that much more exciting and fun

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. any issues people have with weed are usually due to using it as a crutch..if you actually love yourself and life weed is just that extra bonus like going to a movie or whatever (im not including medical users)...I noticed my view changed a lot also as i got older...when you're young you dont really have much to reflect back on so weed helps make those fun stories you will have when your older..for that reason i was always wanting to smoke everyday and have a good time no matter what...now that im older i realize weed isnt going anywhere and if I cant smoke at the moment its cool cause there will be other times..you just have to accept sometimes life is boring and you dont need instant gratification with everything like getting high just to feel good all the time

8. I made a similar realization. Now I've cut back to only smoking on weekends

9. I have a friend who smokes for medical purposes. She said she smokes about 0.2/day, then a gram on weekends for recreation. I think that something like that is fine. However, if you find yourself smoking constantly for no apparent reason.. Maybe cut down to once a day, then once every other day, until you're to the point that you smoke every 3-5 days. Your tolerance supposedly will lower itself as you do this, allowing you to conserve your grass, saving money, getting you higher, longer, and making it more enjoyable.

10. I think its unfair to say "its all in your head", I am well over anyone's opinion on me and my drug use, and I do think for myself and i know for a fact that, at times, smoking weed everyday isn't good for me. Physically, health wise its mostly not a problem. However it does negatively affect your sleep (sure its easier to sleep but the quality of sleep isn't as good), motivation (for some people), and diet (again for some people). Im not saying its a problem for everyone, but some people certainly aren't suited for everyday toking

11. Like I said, everyone's different and that's just my belief.  But I've been doing it for 5 or 6 years without a break and my life is more than fine.  I'm talking about people who use it intelligently and responsibly. I believe it is indeed all in your head because honestly it's time to face the facts that you can nitpick about anything and find something wrong with it.  If you do that, you'll find everything is bad.  Soda is more harmful than weed on a daily if you start nitpicking.  There is nothing wrong with it at all and any bad stigmas have been instilled since you were a kid by media and parents trying to not get you to do this 'bad' drug.  Do your own research. and totally fair to say that as that is what an opinion consists of.  Understanding is the key to any topic.  

12. not one part of me believes any of the bad stigmas associated with pot, I'm saying this from my own, and many other peoples real experiences, all of whom absolutely love pot and agree that theres nothing wrong with it.... in moderation (again, for them personally). saying that just because you're fine smoking everyday for 6 years, therefore anyone else is, is nonsense. I find i wake up refreshed, have more motivation and can focus more when I'm not smoking everyday, therefore for me smoking everyday is a crutch (even if its not that big of one). none of that has anything to do with how I've been brought up or what anyone has told me, just what I've learnt from my personal experience. again i totally agree some people are fine smoking everyday and it isn't a problem at all. or maybe you know my body and how my drug habits affect me better than i do, as you said, everyone is different.

13. Exactly I'm talking about everyone not just you.  You make it seem like my opinion should be tailored to you.  I don't even know you.  You don't have to take stabs at someone when arguing.  that's not the point.  The point is a point of equal understanding of people's points.  Not getting offended when someone doesn't agree with your opinion.  I'm just stating my beliefs not stating 'truth'  learn to read opinions and not view them as targeting people.  Peace and love.

14. I'm sorry you read that the wrong way i wasn't offended in any way and looking back i guess i did stab a little and get a bit sarcastic. I don't think your opinion should be tailored to anyone, however my experience is real and valid for me and i can appreciate that other people may have had a different experience with weed (such as you have, being able to smoke weed everyday with no problems). You just have to read through this thread to see that many people aren't best suited to smoke weed every day, and I'm sure most people on here aren't influenced by propaganda anymore. I guess i just can't see why you won't accept that what I am saying can be true, whilst your experience can also be true, but hey thats the thing about opinions. 

i feel like shit today as well maybe that influenced my tone. much love to you too 

15. This is such an awesome topic of discussion. I love hearing different views and different beliefs. I find it interesting how the government will go as far as spreading propaganda about why weed is 'bad'. I think the only way someone could argue weed being bad or a 'crutch' is if weed affected them negatively. This forum has many open minded people and people are affected by weed differently. At the end of the day, nobody NEEDS pot, however nobody need tobacco and alcohol but they're legal. The world makes no sense and it kills me. Sociologists should study the history of weed and regulation. Every single person has their own view on weed. Wether they did their own research, are influenced by media, or just learned about through word of mouth. Every person is different. Weed can only be used as a crutch if you make it a crutch.

Let weed revolve around your life. Don't let your life revolve around weed. Moderation.

16. Sometimes you just have to go through the experiences yourself and have a realization about your usage, and ultimately what you are using for.
    Some realize early on, and for others it takes a looooong ass time and a dramatic event in their life to realize what they let their life become.
    I was one who took a long ass time to realize that weed..... weed was my crutch...and my full body cast...

Ä7ŌHÂ GRÖWÑ

17. I think that the op. Fits how it affects me. I don't know if I've got the mental discipline to not smoke weed for a day. Unless 1. I can't access any (unlikely cuz I've got a little grow or 2. I've got a drug test for some reason or another. Besides Thoes two senarios it's a struggle to not smoke for me and it makes me resentful and feel powerless. I don't want to give it up forever I just wish I could go back in time to the days when I had a strong sense of discipline. 3years of pretty consistent smoking that part of my psyche is gone.

18. I totally understand man its the phychological aspect, I was stuck in the same scenario. What got me out of it was keeping busy and not allowing myself time to smoke all the time. Its more like a reward to myself or a "once in awhile" thing for me now. But weed does effect everyone differently, some people are high functioning, im not but I still love the herb! Just gotta find your middle ground and have the ability to reconize if it's impacting your day to day life positively or negatively.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

19. Everything in moderation. I developed a  strange chest cold that would practically drowned me in my own mucus, because i smoked way too much. I'm actually just getting over it. But if you dont do it all the time it can be very beneficial and fun.

20. I was kind of wondering about this. I haven't read all the replies just yet, but I am getting there.

Currently, I smoke every day, it's almost been one day since I've smoked at all. I've heard people say that I'm supposed to really moderate myself on this, but I am smoking to treat pre-existing medical conditions, debilitating anxiety, and chronic pains which I'd rather not get into discussing right now.

These things make it hard to concentrate on my work that I need to do and progress in life.

At the most I smoke two bowls a day, but that's just when things get bad.